Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #286 of 5,992
Glad we could all help
biggrin.gif

Please let us know what you think of them once your receive them.  I'm looking forward to your impressions.

Quote:
This thread really got me excited. Thanks everyone! Mine are on the way from the recommended ebay seller. Looking forward! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #287 of 5,992
I actually find 580 to be a bit brighter in the upper range than 900. I still like 580's SQ overall but 900 beats it by having more "balanced" sound (for a bass lover) of low, mid and high. Nothing's sticking out like a sore thumb. Everything's 'in place' like it should with a bit of spicy kick in the bass department which is how I like it!

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #288 of 5,992

Quote:
I actually find 580 to be a bit brighter in the upper range than 900. I still like 580's SQ overall but 900 beats it by having more "balanced" sound (for a bass lover) of low, mid and high. Nothing's sticking out like a sore thumb. Everything's 'in place' like it should with a bit of spicy kick in the bass department which is how I like it!

Ditto.....

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #289 of 5,992

Got the PRO 900 this morning and have been listening to them for about 2 hours. I think we have a WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

So far, I love everything about them! High and mid are clear, even clearer than 580 and the bass is also awesome as well, tight and loud!. This is from a Mac Pro so I am even more anxious to try with an amp and DAC (E7/E9 should be here in 2 days). Comfort-wise it's between HFI-580 and DT770 PRO but closer to DT770 so I am not complaining. Sound leak is also very close to DT770 so it will leak a little bit but not enough to be heard by people several feet away. Gonna burn this baby in for a while with the new amp/DAC and will do a full comparison review with HFI-580 and DT770 PRO 80. Going back to listening mode now
biggrin.gif

Absolutely cannot wait for that D:

How do they compare bass-wise?

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #290 of 5,992
Haven't compared yet but I think the 900's bass learned to karate-chop from Steven Seagal.

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #292 of 5,992

Quote:
How would you describe the difference betweem pro 900s and sennheiser hd650s?

The 900s have more present treble, are thinner in the lower mids, have significantly stronger bass, and a much fiercer attack and more forward sound sig than the HD650s. I also think the imaging is better on the 900s, but they have a smaller stage than the 650s. Well, at least that's what I remember from auditioning them a while ago. That being said, the 900s and HD650s are headphones that suit totally different genres. The Sennheisers also are much more demanding in terms of amplification, while the Ultrasones perform demonstrably well out of my Samsung P3.

Jan 31, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #293 of 5,992
I like me silver pads
wink_face.gif

Maybe it's not worth the extra cash I paid for them, but I definitely prefer the silver.

Quote:
Quote:
This thread really got me excited. Thanks everyone! Mine are on the way from the recommended ebay seller. Looking forward! 
biggrin.gif

Another thing I really like about that eBay seller besides being the cheapest on the web, is that it comes with two sets of black pads instead of one black and one gray. Other than that, just like everyone else says, it's pretty much brand new. New smell, new look, new feel -- just black spare pads instead of gray. I couldn't be happier!

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #294 of 5,992
Well, do I feel like an idiot.  I was just about ready to return my Pro900s because I thought the right ear driver was faulty.  The sound was thinner than the left ear.  I kept readjusting them thinking they weren't positioned properly.  Well... turns out I didn't put the right ear pad back on right after removing it the other day.  One of the 4 tabs was popped out.  

Needless to say, they are working fine now... 
redface.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #295 of 5,992
Hey Jibbie, I ordered the Matrix M Stage a couple days ago from JTAM along with a Canare 3.5mm mini to RCA cable. I currently have an Echo Indigo DJ PCMCIA sound card as my source on an IBM T42 Thinkpad but would like a few suggestions in the event I decide to upgrade in the near future. Most laptops I've been interested in lately aren't equipped with PCMCIA slots anymore so that would mean I would have to invest in a dedicated DAC. Are you content with your Ibasso D4 Mamba setup? Would you prefer the D12 or 10? Also I prefer using Winamp as my main player, would I have to get a plugin in order for it to stream to the DAC? Sorry kind of a noob regarding DACs and such. I'm excited to see how much of an improvement I see with my new setup especially in the bass department. Loving my Pro 900s alot
happy_face1.gif
Any info would help thanks

- Anton

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #296 of 5,992
Good usb DAC are like plugin sound cards. Very easy to use.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #297 of 5,992

Quote:
Well, do I feel like an idiot.  I was just about ready to return my Pro900s because I thought the right ear driver was faulty.  The sound was thinner than the left ear.  I kept readjusting them thinking they weren't positioned properly.  Well... turns out I didn't put the right ear pad back on right after removing it the other day.  One of the 4 tabs was popped out.  

Needless to say, they are working fine now... 
redface.gif

Ha ha.... The same thing happened to me the first time I took the pads off. But after having read how they absolutely have to be seated just right so that the fullness of the sound remains, I thought that was what happened. So I just loosened the one side again and made sure I was pushing down hard on all the tabs while I rotated the pad into place. On mine you can actually hear a 'click' when all tabs are seated below the groove. It's actually amazing how much background noise leaks in when one pad is not seated right. It's an instant indicator that one is not on correctly.

Glad yours are working correctly again....

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #298 of 5,992
I am currently an owner of the HFI 580s. I'm looking for a new set of cans. I have a set of AKG K702 on order, just to satisfy my curiosity.

Now, I have a strong feeling the bass impact from the K702 will not be enough and I will want to go back to the Ultrasone signature. Here are my wants from a headphones:

Slightly less bass than the HFI 580 (not a must, but wouldn't mind a little less)
More comfortable than the HFI 580 (hopefully the velour pads help with this)
Bigger soundstage than the HFI 580 (the 580 has a great soundstage for closed cans, but I want more!)
Similar trebble rolloff to the HFI 580 (the HFI 580 are pleasing to my ears, and I don't find them harsh whatsoever...I'd like to keep this quality)

I currently have a Maverick Audio D1 that I'm using as a DAC/AMP (running from my PC).

The headphones that seemed most appropriate were the Pro 750, Pro 900, and Pro 2900.

I thought the Pro 2900 might actually satisfy a few of the criteria, by diminishing the bass impact, increasing the comfort (due to them likely being lighter than the closed headphones), and expanding the soundstage.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #299 of 5,992
Apologies for the double post...not sure how to edit quotes into my existing posts (since it's not in UBB tags).

Quote:
Got the PRO 900 this morning and have been listening to them for about 2 hours. I think we have a WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!
So far, I love everything about them! High and mid are clear, even clearer than 580 and the bass is also awesome as well, tight and loud!. This is from a Mac Pro so I am even more anxious to try with an amp and DAC (E7/E9 should be here in 2 days). Comfort-wise it's between HFI-580 and DT770 PRO but closer to DT770 so I am not complaining. Sound leak is also very close to DT770 so it will leak a little bit but not enough to be heard by people several feet away. Gonna burn this baby in for a while with the new amp/DAC and will do a full comparison review with HFI-580 and DT770 PRO 80. Going back to listening mode now
biggrin.gif

I am very tickled by your impressions. Since I'm coming from the HFI 580, this sounds like a near winner for me as well. I would be very interested to hear more comparisons in between the two. Is the bass stronger or weaker in the Pro 900? How do the soundstages compare?

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #300 of 5,992
So if you're using a DAC, the main thing is being able to send it bit-perfect data.  I'm pretty certain Winamp has a plugin that allows this, but I'm not sure as I use Foobar2000.  If you just search Winamp Bitperfect or something like that on the forums I'm sure you'll find something.  I am very happy with my D4.  It makes for a quality DAC and whenever I travel back home for a few weeks at a time it makes for a good portable solution.  I would only get the D10 or D12 if you need the extra inputs.  My laptop doesn't have any of the SPDIF or optical ports, so I can only take advantage of a DAC with usb input.  The D4 only has usb, and from what I've read, performs better than the D10/D12's usb.  So again, only get those if you want the other input options.

There are a few other DACs, such as the Matrix mini i or Little Dot's DAC that are also of good quality for a relatively inexpensive price.  I'm happy with my D4, and it makes for a great entry level DAC, but when I have some steady income and am thinking about upgrading, it will be one of the first things I upgrade.

Quote:
Hey Jibbie, I ordered the Matrix M Stage a couple days ago from JTAM along with a Canare 3.5mm mini to RCA cable. I currently have an Echo Indigo DJ PCMCIA sound card as my source on an IBM T42 Thinkpad but would like a few suggestions in the event I decide to upgrade in the near future. Most laptops I've been interested in lately aren't equipped with PCMCIA slots anymore so that would mean I would have to invest in a dedicated DAC. Are you content with your Ibasso D4 Mamba setup? Would you prefer the D12 or 10? Also I prefer using Winamp as my main player, would I have to get a plugin in order for it to stream to the DAC? Sorry kind of a noob regarding DACs and such. I'm excited to see how much of an improvement I see with my new setup especially in the bass department. Loving my Pro 900s alot
happy_face1.gif
Any info would help thanks

- Anton

Users who are viewing this thread

Back