Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #5,946 of 5,992
Oh, sorry. I don't mean to discredit you or anything. I was speaking for myself. I'm sure the mods do change certain things for the better, but trade offs have to be made, which is why I personally would have to have a stock version and modded version side by side to see if the tradeoffs are worth it. When you mod something without being able to quickly go back to the original, it's hard to gauge exactly what is better.

Kind of like people sending their D7000s to Lawton Audio, and waiting weeks to get it back, and saying how much better the Lawton mods are. I can't trust those people at all. Expectation bias and all.
Do the mod to only one cup and listen song on mono...

Jan 19, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #5,951 of 5,992
The pro 900i were on sale over here for €276 so I decided to grab myself a pair. Had been eyeballing these for many years but never pulled the trigger....glad I finally did. What a fun set of cans!
I was very skeptical having read about the very shrill highs, but to my ears they sound phenomenal. Coming from sony's XB series, they certainly do sound a bit brighter but it gives them that much more clarity. Definitely not harsh sounding to me. The mids are certainly recessed and this is even more apparent on lower quality recordings/lower quality sound files. They seem very picky in that regard.
The bass however is absolutely delicious. Very, very aggressive, tight sounding mid bass. It's like they thump you in the eardrums. They're similar'ish to the XB500 in that regard, however the 900's do hit a little harder. Where they differ though is in sub bass. The XB500 accompanied the hits with a lower end rumble, which in turn kind of muddied out the rest of the spectrum (I enjoyed this though). The pro 900 do have a rumble to them when the song asks for it without intruding as much with the other frequencies, but again this also depends on the quality of the recording for some bizarre reason.
I mainly listen to EDM ( DnB, prog house, psytrance) aswell as rap and jazz and they perform outstandingly. I wouldn't say the soundstage is very wide, but the imaging sort of makes it seem wider than it is? It's tough to put into words.

Been a while since a set of cans put a smile on my face like the XB500's did, but these definitely did. I'd say any basshead should have these in their arsenal or at the very least give them a try. They definitely do have some magic to them.

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #5,952 of 5,992
Do the Pro 900s continue to soften with burn in (not just a couple hundred hours but many many hours)?

Long story... A friend was looking for headphones, and I have a few and a few amps, and UAPP with tone boosters Morphit. He was looking for something with more weight in the bass, and detailed treble (V shaped). Nothing I had got him going (K7XX, HD650, HE 4XX - Valhalla and Magni 3 at the time). So I started sorting through Morphit to find some phones for him. Not gonna say Morphit transforms one phone into another, but it does give you an idea of the sound signature of different phones, The soundstage, speed, etc., no. So came across the Pro 900s morphed using the HE 4xx. Thought he might like em (Heck I might like em). Auditioned it for him. He Liked it. eBay find for like new $165 or so. Damn, I liked what I heard when I got em. Found another set for me about the same price, but... They were really really well used (or at last really really used!). No ear pads, Monster 3.5 to 3.5 cable, Head band pad is flat, not just weak - but worn out flat. A coupe of pieces from his kit, spare ear pads, 1/4” cable (finders fee - with his approval of course). And, well these phones just sounded worn out compared to his. Fast forward a couple years - I buy another set of used Pro 900s off eBay for a set a little more $, but still under half price retail, to use at work (new job in a cubicle instead of private office) . Very little use, probably not burned fully in yet, Badges still had protective plastic on em. I got that WOW factor again. Day and night between the old pair and these. So I’ve had three used pair through my hands (two still here), two with just enough use to start the break in and one that are fully broke in (or maybe worn out), and that’s the question. Do these continue to loose their “dynamics”, or did I just get a pair that are plain just wore out? Or am I just really liking half broke in Pro 900s?

By the way, even though the worn pairs headband pad is flat, the badges looked like they had been drug behind a kid’s bike through the dirt, and who knows what the ear pads were like, the frame on these are still solid - built like a tank? Ya!

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #5,953 of 5,992
Follow up - Third pair in the house For my son. One par almost new, Now pair fully burned in, and One pair completely burned out. Almost new has that serous V shaped sound. Fully burned in has nice mids and matching treble with serious bass. Completely burned out is about as neutral sounding as any head phones I own (AD900X, K7XX, HD6XX, HD6XX KISS mod’d, HE4XX, AKG 240 Sextett, 240 Monitor (both 600 ohm). No rattles, no issues with producing sound, just flat (about as flat or even flatter than simulating K240DFs using the Monitors and Morphit).

No idea exactly how many hours on each. The almost new pair, seller indicated about 10 hours use, didn’t like ‘em. So maybe 10-30 hours, who knows. The other two pair, no idea, but as Stated in above post the completely worn out pair seem like they had a lot of time on them. The fully burned in pair has headband that is about in between almost new (full and rebounds) and completely burned out (completely flattened out, no squish, no rebound, like an empty velour bag. The foam appears to there, but only about 1mm thick). Headband is a little flattened, but still rebounds (half full bag).

So burn in is very likely real with these from my experience with three pair to A/B/C with various (but unknown) operational hours (and unknown usage, I.e. driven level/SPL). All “testing” was done with 3 different sets of ear pads, no noticed difference, though the fully broken in sounded similar to the completely burned out when I failed to get all bayonets in place on both sides, allowing a gap between both earpads/enclosures. Have since ensured the seal was correct on all 3 pair with no changes in observations.

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #5,955 of 5,992
Burnout was a new term. That should be boken drivers that dont produce anything other then distorsion?

I got many hours on mine sure never entered a stage where it got completly neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back