Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #5,957 of 5,992
Someone can recommend leather or pleather pads that don't change sound signature of the headphones? Also, a long time user of the pro 900i can confirm If headband peels overtime and if stock pads get squashed and need change?(because with squashed pads, sound signature changes..) Lastly, tell me how much they leak when listening loud, I know subjective question, but tell me your experience anyway...

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #5,958 of 5,992
Has anyone had the sound cut out on one earpiece?

I think the board where the cable goes in has a loose or broken solder.

Anyone good in the Uk for repairing these?

Yes, i have had sound cut out on the right piece. juggling the cables in the top of the headband fixes it somewhat, but then it didn't. i might need to remove the right piece and investigate.

Im not using it since the cut out, i just bought the Ultrasone DXP, but it ain't the same! haha. Only recently i started to try and fix the, and i missed that titanium plated sound and big soundstage. Oh well.

The new 900i has the same or similar headband as the DXP, which is pretty okay for comfort, i did switched out the DXP pads, those were too thin.

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #5,959 of 5,992
Yes, i have had sound cut out on the right piece. juggling the cables in the top of the headband fixes it somewhat, but then it didn't. i might need to remove the right piece and investigate.

Im not using it since the cut out, i just bought the Ultrasone DXP, but it ain't the same! haha. Only recently i started to try and fix the, and i missed that titanium plated sound and big soundstage. Oh well.

The new 900i has the same or similar headband as the DXP, which is pretty okay for comfort, i did switched out the DXP pads, those were too thin.
What do you mean cut out?? Can I see a picture??

Apr 23, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #5,960 of 5,992
What do you feel the difference is between the 900 and DXP, roughly?

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #5,961 of 5,992
DXP the soundstage suffers a bit maybe due to the large driver it is nearly at my ear vs the 900 which has the driver at the bottom, and pads are bad, tonality wise the 900 has that extra bit of treble (attached on a lot of things) that i like, lower SPL makes it sounds wider maybe.

But then i tried it with my Heresy, and it drives both well, and the 900 even better due to that extra treble.

What do you mean cut out?? Can I see a picture??
The sound cuts out, I removed the headband, and have to secure the cable with tape, but there is a "sweet" spot, thus far, seems like it is on the right hand side of the headband which i haven't removed. Will remove the right side, when i have the headphone again. I guess i'll be hunting for the actual part that is "CUT" but jiggling reconnects the sound haha.

On the left hand side in side the "L" part has parts of the cable being "bent".

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #5,962 of 5,992
The sound cuts out, I removed the headband, and have to secure the cable with tape, but there is a "sweet" spot, thus far, seems like it is on the right hand side of the headband which i haven't removed. Will remove the right side, when i have the headphone again. I guess i'll be hunting for the actual part that is "CUT" but jiggling reconnects the sound haha.

On the left hand side in side the "L" part has parts of the cable being "bent".
I'm sorry to hear that, this happened due to long time use? Also, compare the bass between pro 900 and DXP. At last, tell me while you listen to pro 900 If the s-logic has effect on you, because It hasn't on some people..

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #5,963 of 5,992
I'm sorry to hear that, this happened due to long time use? Also, compare the bass between pro 900 and DXP. At last, tell me while you listen to pro 900 If the s-logic has effect on you, because It hasn't on some people..

Yes it was like 4 years of daily use, and basically my daily driver, had some issues with my Alessandro MS-2 (but later turned out it was only the jack). But when the Pro 900 no longer works without jiggling the headband to get sound, i just decided it is time to upgrade and 2 options either the DXP or Studio, went with the larger driver.

S-Logic well yeah, hehehe, lower SPL means larger sound stage i guess, Pro 900 sounded incredible at the time with my Meier 3-Move dac/amp combo, but damn, it is even better now with the Heresy and 3-Move or Ultrasone Nanos or Hizdis S8 and Zen Stack. Pro 900 sounds wider and surround to me, it was great for movies etc. If i can fix the Pro 900 then that would be awesome. (i failed to fix my Pro 750 with the left speaker failed after 7 month).

Bass wise, despite the DXP having a larger driver, the bass is pretty darn good, but with the comparison with Pro 900, i would say overall if the pads of Pro 900 can be fixed (bad comfort) the Bass is even better on the Pro 900, but the pads were bad, after 3 years of use it hurts my ears so i had it removed to some brainwavz angled pads.

Pro 900 i think has overall more detail with the old stock pads compared to the DXP with the Brainwavz.

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #5,964 of 5,992
Yes it was like 4 years of daily use, and basically my daily driver, had some issues with my Alessandro MS-2 (but later turned out it was only the jack). But when the Pro 900 no longer works without jiggling the headband to get sound, i just decided it is time to upgrade and 2 options either the DXP or Studio, went with the larger driver.

S-Logic well yeah, hehehe, lower SPL means larger sound stage i guess, Pro 900 sounded incredible at the time with my Meier 3-Move dac/amp combo, but damn, it is even better now with the Heresy and 3-Move or Ultrasone Nanos or Hizdis S8 and Zen Stack. Pro 900 sounds wider and surround to me, it was great for movies etc. If i can fix the Pro 900 then that would be awesome. (i failed to fix my Pro 750 with the left speaker failed after 7 month).

Bass wise, despite the DXP having a larger driver, the bass is pretty darn good, but with the comparison with Pro 900, i would say overall if the pads of Pro 900 can be fixed (bad comfort) the Bass is even better on the Pro 900, but the pads were bad, after 3 years of use it hurts my ears so i had it removed to some brainwavz angled pads.

Pro 900 i think has overall more detail with the old stock pads compared to the DXP with the Brainwavz.
Thanks for writing! I also want to ask, did the pads change shape over long use?(because they're velour..) You have the pro 900i or the 900? Do you think the 900i's headband peels off after time? I had m40x once and headband peeled after some time.. It seems pro 900i has same material headband as m40x.. Do you know any leather or pleather pads which don't change sound signature?

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #5,965 of 5,992

Pads on the 900 stock were lame.................I put Mr Speakers Alpha Pads on mine.................way better.

Apr 28, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #5,967 of 5,992
I honestly can't recall but the comfort went up so much that it didn't matter. Bass was as good or better which was my measuring stick...................

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #5,968 of 5,992
Thanks for writing! I also want to ask, did the pads change shape over long use?(because they're velour..) You have the pro 900i or the 900? Do you think the 900i's headband peels off after time? I had m40x once and headband peeled after some time.. It seems pro 900i has same material headband as m40x.. Do you know any leather or pleather pads which don't change sound signature?

I have the Pro 900 (not the i) circa 2011?, i think then they had the Pro 900i but with the same headband as the Pro 900, and the latest Pro 900i has the similar headband to the DXP. Not sure where they make the Pro 900i now, but the DXP is German Made, and the Pro 900 was made in Taiwan. The difference in build is that the Pro 900 is much more flexible, and the DXP is much more rigid.

My Pro 900 headband is glued on, and with just one narrow place that has padding, and yeah the glue does fall off, and i can see a lot of humidity damage to the screws as well.

DXP headband is far far better.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #5,969 of 5,992
So I'm having the right earpiece cut out as well - did anyone every fix theirs with this issue? If not, what did you 'upgrade' to?

My Pro 900 has been my daily since 2012 and I've really liked them. If they were readily available here in Australia I'd probably just buy another pair.

Sep 9, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #5,970 of 5,992
Exactly the same with mine, a jiggle would bring it back but now it's totally dead on one side.
Clearly a defect of some kind, now it's affecting a few of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back