Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #1,006 of 5,992

Quote:
Just got my 2nd pair of PRO 900 and HOLY CRAP! Anyone who's not hearing the effect of burn-in on these phones is deaf!!! I had to turn the volume down to half from my usual loud setting because the high's HARSH. Also, bass is a bit loose, not how I remember the first PRO 900 was like. I am not worried as I am sure everything will fall into places nicely.

Another thing that I have been experiencing with the new pair, the pads are itchyyyy!!! It was not the case in my first pair. I sure hope the pads will settle and the itchiness will go away otherwise I would be in trouble
frown.gif

Look back I have been saying this about the pads for weeks now. You know why their itchy? Because we both have the D7000 lol, and realize how crappy these pads are. After about a half hour I just take them off because the pads start to irritate me. I thought I was crazy being only one of the few people that complained about the stock pads, but now I know it's not me. Every time I put the Pro 900 on, the more I see myself getting the J$ pads.

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #1,007 of 5,992
Quote:
Don't worry it will settle down.
and yes the burn in with these phones is nuts... it's beyong belief actually that the sound is so so much better after a decent burn-in. what I really liked is that the highs are not harsh anymore and much more fun..
at first the highs were hard on my ears, but not anymore.

For me the highs were unbearable as well when I first got them, now they are the opposite, they sound quite amazing. It's the most notable change.
The mids still seem quite recessed though even after around 400 hours burn in, My ears are still not used to it and often I find myself wishing I had a warmer pair of headphones.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #1,009 of 5,992

Quote:

Look back I have been saying this about the pads for weeks now. You know why their itchy? Because we both have the D7000 lol, and realize how crappy these pads are. After about a half hour I just take them off because the pads start to irritate me. I thought I was crazy being only one of the few people that complained about the stock pads, but now I know it's not me. Every time I put the Pro 900 on, the more I see myself getting the J$ pads.

I don't remember my first pair being this itchy though. This pair is way worse than the first one. There is a good chance that I have been spoiled by D7000 
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #1,010 of 5,992

Quote:
Like what? you think the pro 900 are on the colder side?
I'm trying to use equalizer but it becomes alittle bit muddy and  loses the clarity and separation.. crossfeed helps though

Yes, for sure, especially when new. I think it's Ultrasone's signature as I noticed this on HFI-580 as well. They are definitely colder than Denon or Beyer.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #1,013 of 5,992
depends, I'm now bring up the mids using toneboosters equalizer and it's pretty good.  I recommend using the J river media center 15 as your media player. I won't use an equalizer with neutral phones but this is quite fun to play with. and the equalizer brings up the mids abit, no doubt.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #1,014 of 5,992

Quote:
I was told the the D7000 and the pro 900 are somewhat alike.. how would you compare the two in terms of sonic performance?

You can read the review I've done for a full comparison (see my signature) but basically D7000 is less "colored." PRO 900 is really fun to listen to and hits the right spots (great, impactful bass and clear high) without the need for EQ. After a long session of listening to 900 I do feel a bit fatigued. D7000 is a pair I can wear for a very long time, comfort- AND sound-wise. It won't give me 100% of bass fix when needed but it does provide excellent quality bass/mid/high all around.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #1,015 of 5,992
Speaking of EQ, any1 tried a curve like this for their Pro 900 (especially those who aren't burnt-in). Should provide a warmer/less cold/bright sound. I haven't tried the Pro 900 but I'm almost certain I'd end up EQing it a bit like this to make it sound more to my liking.

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #1,016 of 5,992
I think I found EQ setting sto my liking. Frequency 590 6.4DB and 1005 6.9DB
2709 5.5DB, 5842 3.1db, 236 6.1DB, 111 3.2DB.. I find it pretty good, I'm still playing with it, but I'm pretty pleased with it... 

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #1,017 of 5,992

Quote:

I don't remember my first pair being this itchy though. This pair is way worse than the first one. There is a good chance that I have been spoiled by D7000 
wink.gif

I know thats what I meant. Ever since I got the D7000 I have been really disappointed with the Pro 900 ear pads. Even if you compare them to the beyer velour pads, there is a COMPLETE night and day difference between the too. The beyer velours completely out class the Pro pads unfortunately. Just rediculously itchy for me, and I think it will become worse once it gets warmer out. If they didn't sound good, they would be on the selling block right now, but I think I'm going try new pads in a month or so when I catch up from getting the Lyr.

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #1,018 of 5,992

Quote:
I was told the the D7000 and the pro 900 are somewhat alike.. how would you compare the two in terms of sonic performance?

I don't think they sound alike as much as many may say. The d7000 has a warmish sound signature, way more balanced, handles a variety of different music genres, and a hell of a lot more comfy. The Pro 900 has a bit of recessed mids and a huge emphasis on its highs, a sonic difference compared to the d7000. I agree with Dougee that the Pro 900 are very fatiguing, especially if you listen loud, after an hour I have t take them off to give my ears a break. But this is because I bump out all the time. With the D7000 i can bump out all day long without a break. They both are very good headphones IMO. I use the Pro 900 for hard rock and trance/jungle/dubstep only where as I use the D7000 for anything you can think of.

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #1,020 of 5,992

Quote:

I know thats what I meant. Ever since I got the D7000 I have been really disappointed with the Pro 900 ear pads. Even if you compare them to the beyer velour pads, there is a COMPLETE night and day difference between the too. The beyer velours completely out class the Pro pads unfortunately. Just rediculously itchy for me, and I think it will become worse once it gets warmer out. If they didn't sound good, they would be on the selling block right now, but I think I'm going try new pads in a month or so when I catch up from getting the Lyr.

I LOVED Beyer pads, very smooth and feel cooler to touch. Maybe I can retrofit a pair on...
From the look of it they look similar in size (slightly larger, maybe).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back