Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #1,036 of 5,992
I was just looking at his/her listing.  I live in Rochester also and was tempted to offer pickup and pay cash instead of PayPal, to save fees and effort.  The only question would be, does buyauthorized keep them on site?

Quote:
he's currently away, but i bought a pair on friday from buyauthorized for 350. I tried 320 and he didn't bite -.- So i think 350 is the lowest he'll go now, sucks that i was a week late in getting that 320 price

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #1,037 of 5,992

if you look at his ebay listing, he doesn't allow for pickup. He doesn't like it and with good reason. You never know what type of people you'll meet and I'm sure he is playing it safe which is what i would do also. You should just offer 350 and pay with paypal. Since you like where he does, it'll probably come to you relatively quick. From what i saw from his ebay listing, he's away until wednesday so i guess i won't be getting my Ultrasone's shipped until wednesday =/ To answer your original question, you would have to ask him. All i did was talk through ebay, and just offer 350 and it sent me a message saying i won the auction. So try messaging him, you never know what he'll say haha
Quote:
I was just looking at his/her listing.  I live in Rochester also and was tempted to offer pickup and pay cash instead of PayPal, to save fees and effort.  The only question would be, does buyauthorized keep them on site?

Apr 25, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #1,038 of 5,992
Okay guys the Head-Fi meet in Phoenix happened this past Saturday, and I finally got to hear the D7000.  At first, I thought they Pro 900 and the Denon's had very similar bass and that the D7000s actually extended a tad deeper than the Ultrasones.  After a lot more listening, however, it was apparent that the Pro 900 has noticeably more bass, and while it might not go quite as deep as the D7000, it gets 90% of the way there and does it with more authority and slam.  The D7000s did have improved mids and soundstage, but as someone who listens to EDM, bass is just so important that I came away thinking that the Pro 900s might just be the be-all end-all of headphones for me.  Time to Blue dragon them and get a better DAC and Amp (all of that won't happen for a while though).

The D7000s I listened to did have the J$ pads, however, which I've read reduce the bass a tad bit.  Hopefully I'll be able to hear a stock one someday to confirm, but as is, for Electronica and Metal, I'd still choose the Pro 900 any day.

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #1,039 of 5,992

Quote:
Okay guys the Head-Fi meet in Phoenix happened this past Saturday, and I finally got to hear the D7000.  At first, I thought they Pro 900 and the Denon's had very similar bass and that the D7000s actually extended a tad deeper than the Ultrasones.  After a lot more listening, however, it was apparent that the Pro 900 has noticeably more bass, and while it might not go quite as deep as the D7000, it gets 90% of the way there and does it with more authority and slam.  The D7000s did have improved mids and soundstage, but as someone who listens to EDM, bass is just so important that I came away thinking that the Pro 900s might just be the be-all end-all of headphones for me.  Time to Blue dragon them and get a better DAC and Amp (all of that won't happen for a while though).

The D7000s I listened to did have the J$ pads, however, which I've read reduce the bass a tad bit.  Hopefully I'll be able to hear a stock one someday to confirm, but as is, for Electronica and Metal, I'd still choose the Pro 900 any day.

I like the sound of those thoughts
biggrin.gif
Having even the teeny tiny slightest chance of reaching the be-all, end-all headphones sounds very alluring. It even made me consider the Blue Dragon for the first time.

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #1,040 of 5,992
There are many who think the D7000 is the superior headphone, and I'd honestly agree.  It has beautiful mids and soundstage while still maintaining deep, tight bass.  The Pro 900s wave of bass is just so addicting while listening to Electronica, and its soundstage so precise yet intimate that I prefer the Ultrasones.  The D7000 is a much better all arounder, and it made every genre I listened to sound awesome, its just the Pro 900s make EDM and Metal sound so amazing that, since those are just about the only two genres I listen to (and Hip Hop), I'll stick with the Ultrasones.  

It's a nice feeling knowing that the headphone you currently have is just about the best headphone you could possibly get for your preferences.  Now time to maximize their potential!

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #1,041 of 5,992
Apr 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #1,043 of 5,992
Even with electric/trance/DnB I still find myself using the D7000 way more than the Pro 900. Even with slighly less bass, the sub bass on the d7000 is leaps and bounds better, and just is less fatiguing to my ears compared to the Pro 900. I still use the Pro 900, but ever since the D7000 they have been treated like the middle child, the highs piss me off from time to time  and the itchy pads. I really want to love the Pro 900 like I did when I first got them, but really having troublesince the D7K showed up at my door, anyone else with both cans have this problem?

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #1,044 of 5,992

Quote:
I've received my Pro 900's on Wednesday and they've been burning in ever since.

The highs are definitely harsh! My ears can't stand them right now. 
frown.gif

Still waiting for my FiiO E7/E9 to come in...

Just got mine as well doing the same thing. I purchased the HiFi-Man 601 just a little while ago, so that's breaking in as well.

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #1,045 of 5,992
There are times when I miss that kick in the mid and upper bass that D7000 lacks (comparatively speaking). That's when I put on PRO 900.
Still burning them in at about 100 hours and getting better. Gotta get those Beyer pads though, stat!!!

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #1,046 of 5,992
I know me too I"m waiting on whether you dig them or not. Are you going with the J$ beyer pads or just the regular velour replacement pads? I just might go with the denon J$ pads because I'm hoping the highs will be less fatiguing. I don't understand my ears sometimes. I have the DT 990 not even used with a tube amp and I don't have any problems with the sharp treble that most people complain about, but at the same time the highs on Pro 900 give me a pain after a while. Really doesn't make sense to me since they are both sharp on the high end.

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #1,047 of 5,992
Has anyone else tried uncovering all "bass" holes yet?

I want someone else to try it to confirm whether it made a difference or not since I can't remember and reversing it to test is not a quick process (but it is fully reversible). Go oooooonnn!
tongue.gif

Also, I was playing around with a tone generator thing and it seems my Pro900 goes about 4Hz deeper than my D7K. About 11Hz and 15Hz respectively seemed to be when I could no longer hear/feel anything. I can't comment on the relative amplitudes at various sub-bass frequencies though.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #1,048 of 5,992

Quote:
I know me too I"m waiting on whether you dig them or not. Are you going with the J$ beyer pads or just the regular velour replacement pads? I just might go with the denon J$ pads because I'm hoping the highs will be less fatiguing. I don't understand my ears sometimes. I have the DT 990 not even used with a tube amp and I don't have any problems with the sharp treble that most people complain about, but at the same time the highs on Pro 900 give me a pain after a while. Really doesn't make sense to me since they are both sharp on the high end.

I tried J$ pads (v2) and they are painful (glasses) so I won't bother trying another J$ pads. I am thinking about the stock Beyer pads, DT770 or DT880/990. Do you know which ones are softer? I only had experience with DT770.

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #1,049 of 5,992
I have only tried the dt990 pads and they are amazing pads, I'm not the only one that thinks this. I have no idea if the pads are different from the 770/880/990. How do you know they will fit right on the Pro 900?

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #1,050 of 5,992

Quote:
I have only tried the dt990 pads and they are amazing pads, I'm not the only one that thinks this. I have no idea if the pads are different from the 770/880/990. How do you know they will fit right on the Pro 900?

From my comparison photos, DT770 and PRO 900 pads look similar in size and shape, DT770 being slightly larger maybe, which wouldn't be a problem.
I emailed headroom and apparently 770 pads and 880/990 pads are exactly the same. I thought I read somewhere that they are different...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back