Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #993 of 5,992

Quote:
Quote:
There is no debate.  Just one dude making a side comment.  What did he want apart from anecdotal evidence?  Logical evidence?  lmao.

Someone comparing a fully burnt in pair to a stock pair.

With measured response curves? Because even if you're comparing directly side my side, if you just judge the sound based on your own ears it's still going to be just anecdotal evidence, and I doubt anyone here has the means of taking any hard measurements on this subject.

Edit: Though to be honest I'm also generally skeptical of burn in, and found no noticeable changes in my perception of the sound of my Pro900's after around 20hrs.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #994 of 5,992
Comment deleted

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #995 of 5,992
Quote:
With measured response curves? Because even if you're comparing directly side my side, if you just judge the sound based on your own ears it's still going to be just anecdotal evidence, and I doubt anyone here has the means of taking any hard measurements on this subject.

Edit: Though to be honest I'm also generally skeptical of burn in, and found no noticeable changes in my perception of the sound of my Pro900's after around 20hrs.

Just playing devil's advocate here as I personally do not own the PRO900, you're going to need a lot more than 20 hours of burn-in to really notice a difference.  Recommended estimates are anywhere from 100 to over 200 hours, though your mileage may vary a bit.  Let the debate begin!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #996 of 5,992
It's generally agreed upon that headphones deserve atleast 200 hours of break-in, prior to being assessed, whether there is a difference or not...

I don't mean to pick on you, Nachkebia, but if you fallow his/her comments, from when he received the pro 900s up until recently, you'll clearly see the progression of break-in with the pro 900s. Furthermore, it's absurd to say that break-in, is merely an illusion, in which your ears adapt to the sound signature of the headsphones, as most members own multiple headphones, with which they can a, b the sound signatures, preventing the opportunity for your ears to adapt. (What a mouthful of a sentence
tongue_smile.gif
)

Now, let's please go back to what draws all of us to this hobby, namely enjoying the blissful combination of good music and headphones.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Just playing devil's advocate here as I personally do not own the PRO900, you're going to need a lot more than 20 hours of burn-in to really notice a difference.  Recommended estimates are anywhere from 100 to over 200 hours, though your mileage may vary a bit.  Let the debate begin!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'll be first to bite the bait.
Due to the stiff nature of the Pro 900's titanium drivers, I'll personnally recommend 400 hours for them to completely settle.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #997 of 5,992

Quote:
very_evil_smiley.gif

I disagree and I know I'm not the only one. I find most notable changes occur in roughly 20hrs, with perhaps smaller ones continuing for a little while after that. There is a sizable group here on head fi that tend to agree with me. It may be the minority, but this view certainly isn't unusual on this subject. I personally stopped noticing changes in the sound signature of my Pro900's after about 2 weeks, and I did no intentional burn in, just normal listening.

Quote:
It's generally agreed upon that headphones deserve atleast 200 hours of break-in, prior to being assessed, whether there is a difference or not...

I don't mean to pick on you, Nachkebia, but if you fallow his/her comments, from when he received the pro 900s up until recently, you'll clearly see the progression of break-in with the pro 900s. Furthermore, it's absurd to say that break-in, is merely an illusion, in which your ears adapt to the sound signature of the headsphones, as most members own multiple headphones, with which they can a, b the sound signatures, preventing the opportunity for your ears to adapt. (What a mouthful of a sentence
tongue_smile.gif
)

Now, let's please go back to what draws all of us to this hobby, namely enjoying the blissful combination of good music and headphones.
bigsmile_face.gif

I'll be first to bite the bait.
Due to the stiff nature of the Pro 900's titanium drivers, I'll personnally recommend 400 hours for them to completely settle.

Nothing wrong with a little friendly discussion. I will agree that the Pro900's have displayed the most significant improvement with burn-in that I've noticed, but I stand by my 20+ hr statement/recommendation. To each their own. There are definitely plenty of people in both camps here on these boards.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #998 of 5,992
Of all the headphones I've owned PRO 900 changed the most over time. I was not a believer of burn-in until PRO 900. To be honest I was not able to tell anything different in bass or mid but the high definitely rolled off over time as I remembered the high being quite a bit harsh when new. After putting in 200+ hours I sold them. And, I just bought them again because I was missing the awesome bass
L3000.gif
. I will see if I can detect the same trend this time.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #999 of 5,992

Quote:

I disagree and I know I'm not the only one. I find most notable changes occur in roughly 20hrs, with perhaps smaller ones continuing for a little while after that. There is a sizable group here on head fi that tend to agree with me. It may be the minority, but this view certainly isn't unusual on this subject. I personally stopped noticing changes in the sound signature of my Pro900's after about 2 weeks, and I did no intentional burn in, just normal listening.

Nothing wrong with a little friendly discussion. I will agree that the Pro900's have displayed the most significant improvement with burn-in that I've noticed, but I stand by my 20+ hr statement/recommendation. To each their own. There are definitely plenty of people in both camps here on these boards.

As an owner of the Pro 650's, I can tell you that you need more than 20 hours of break in time. I just received my Pro 900's a couple of days ago and I can tell you that the difference between those two are big, even though I can still tell the 900's sound better. I can hear deeper bass in the 900's, but even the bass sounds better on the 650's, not just the mids and the highs sounding smoother. Matter of fact, if anyone knows anything about home audio, I own some Dynaudio Contours which are still breaking in and I have had them for about a year and a half. There has been a big improvement in the past couple of months........goodness, a big one.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #1,000 of 5,992
 Is anyone else trying the J$ pad mod on there Pro 900? The more I wear my Pro 900, the more they piss me off comfort wise. I don't expect them to be as comfy as my d7000 or dt 900, but there not even remotely close. And its 90% the pads. The clamp is tight but not a big issue, the upper padding on the headband is sparce but again not a huge issue. The stock pads are just horrible IMO. When I catch up with bills I think I'm going to have no other choice or i don't see them getting as much use as I would like them to.

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #1,001 of 5,992
The pro 900 are contuing to improve with every moment.
and that's a proof. they just get better.

The bass has tighten up and is not overpowering any more. the mids are much less recessed. I don't even find them recessed anymore.

I love these headphones for what they are and although I'm very pleased with them I'm buying the HD 800 for different reasons and I recommend anyone who has 350$ to spend to buy these headphones, they are that good.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #1,002 of 5,992
Planning on getting these, but I realized that most of my music is 192/320kbps/VBR MP3.  I have a fair amount of FLAC music too though, but still the majority of my music collection at the moment is probably of lower than ideal quality. Is this going to be a problem with these Ultrasones because of how revealing they can be?  Source will be Asus STX or Asus DX + FiiO e11 or e9 amp.  Thanks.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #1,003 of 5,992

Quote:
Planning on getting these, but I realized that most of my music is 192/320kbps/VBR MP3.  I have a fair amount of FLAC music too though, but still the majority of my music collection at the moment is probably of lower than ideal quality. Is this going to be a problem with these Ultrasones because of how revealing they can be?  Source will be Asus STX or Asus DX + FiiO e11 or e9 amp.  Thanks.

You will still enjoy your mp3s but you'll really start to notice the lower fidelity. After I got my E7 I ripped all of my favorite albums to flac. But most of my other music is still in mp3 format. In the end it's up to YOU whether it's a problem or not. However, when you start listening with high quality 'phones and amps and DACs, you're not going to want to listen to anything that is lossy. At that point once you go flac you don't go back. 

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #1,004 of 5,992
Just got my 2nd pair of PRO 900 and HOLY CRAP! Anyone who's not hearing the effect of burn-in on these phones is deaf!!! I had to turn the volume down to half from my usual loud setting because the high's HARSH. Also, bass is a bit loose, not how I remember the first PRO 900 was like. I am not worried as I am sure everything will fall into places nicely.

Another thing that I have been experiencing with the new pair, the pads are itchyyyy!!! It was not the case in my first pair. I sure hope the pads will settle and the itchiness will go away otherwise I would be in trouble
frown.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #1,005 of 5,992

Don't worry it will settle down.
and yes the burn in with these phones is nuts... it's beyong belief actually that the sound is so so much better after a decent burn-in. what I really liked is that the highs are not harsh anymore and much more fun..
at first the highs were hard on my ears, but not anymore.
Quote:
Just got my 2nd pair of PRO 900 and HOLY CRAP! Anyone who's not hearing the effect of burn-in on these phones is deaf!!! I had to turn the volume down to half from my usual loud setting because the high's HARSH. Also, bass is a bit loose, not how I remember the first PRO 900 was like. I am not worried as I am sure everything will fall into places nicely.

Another thing that I have been experiencing with the new pair, the pads are itchyyyy!!! It was not the case in my first pair. I sure hope the pads will settle and the itchiness will go away otherwise I would be in trouble
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back