Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Nov 9, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #3,616 of 5,992

Quote:
well finally got my pro 900s and they are awesome!!!

im definitely a dubstep girl now 
biggrin.gif

on note, these are the first headphones ive heard that have crazy amounts of bass while still having good mids.

the mids are finally not recessed!!  its like the bass overpowers everything, yet doesn't leak in and muffle the rest of the sound spectrum.

confused_face_2.gif
the mids are extremely recessed! But glad you like them!
beyersmile.png

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #3,617 of 5,992

Quote:

confused_face_2.gif
the mids are extremely recessed! But glad you like them!
beyersmile.png

i didn't find them  very recessed. rather than recessed, i'd say just a little further away, but way better than any other bassy headphone i've heard. definitely not recessed like the the dt 770 pro.

but anyways, thanks!  
beerchug.gif

the only problems i got with these so far is

1. they merciless slaughter lower bit-rate mp3s.
2. the highs can be a little harsh on some poorer recorded songs, but its not bad.
3. music sounds kinda off. sounds great on electronic, but everything else it sounds kinda off 

Nov 9, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #3,618 of 5,992

Quote:
i didn't find them  very recessed. rather than recessed, i'd say just a little further away, but way better than any other bassy headphone i've heard. definitely not recessed like the the dt 770 pro.

but anyways, thanks!  
beerchug.gif

the only problems i got with these so far is

1. they merciless slaughter lower bit-rate mp3s.
2. the highs can be a little harsh on some poorer recorded songs, but its not bad.
3. music sounds kinda off. sounds great on electronic, but everything else it sounds kinda off 

Congrats!  It's about time you bit the bullet!

I completely agree with everything you said, including the mids not being recessed.  To my ear, they're the only bass-heavy can that is not overly warm with acceptable mids.  The D2000 has some pretty well represented mids, but lack the excitement the PRO900 delivers in the top end. 

That said, there are a couple of perceived frequency troughs in the mid-range--and one of them is right where Howard from Killswitch Engage's voice falls.  That annoyed me.  Otherwise, I sincerely lament leaving my beasts in the care of my wife when I headed back here.

The "off" sound is because you're used to other cans with a different tonal balance.  You'll get used to it. I was the same way--I'd been playing with my woodied Grados for a couple of months when I got the 900s in, and it took a month or so for me to adjust. 

Point in case, my wife had not heard any of my other mid-fi cans before I gave her the option to choose between the PRO900 or my woodied Grado 225i to keep.  She played a handful of songs on the Grado and seemed mildly impressed. From the first note of the first song on the PRO900, she had a smile on her face, turned, and yelled at me "I LIKE THESE".  She listens to a pretty eclectic selection of music--female pop, club-hop, acoustic, punk-ish rock, and whatever category artists like Muse fall into.

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #3,620 of 5,992
Thanks for putting my mind at rest folks, never been a fan of the sweaty leather pads comfy as they might be.

I bought my pair for a bit of everything, i read up that they have a wide soundstage for a closed phone, and they're meant to be good for gaming/movies and music alike not many phones can pull that off id imagine.

I heard an rel q storm sub a while back, he rattled the whole store playing cher - one by one.

Guess that'll be the first track played for me, then perhaps gat decor - passion.

Both tunes have great sub bass.

Im going to rattle my fillings out!!!!!!
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #3,621 of 5,992

Quote:
You will have to cut up a set of your stock pads and glue any of the above mentioned pads onto the cog of your stock pads.  There are no direct swaps that aren't made by US.  XB500 pads will also fit, though it will be tighter than the XB700--it'll save you $30 or so over the XB700. 

The price of the t5 pads is ludicrous.  Are they made from snakeskin and padded with ultra-grade memory foam?  I'd never heard of that before.  Crazy talk.

Don't use the Grado pads unless you are a masochist.  I'm a Grado fan (I own two sets of heavily modified Grados) and I hate the pads with a purple passion.  Plus, I don't think any of them will fit the Ultrasone cups.

One thing to think of is that there's a reason most of the swaps have gone with the XB-series pleather or real leather.  The PRO900 leaks terribly thanks to the fairly unforgiving nature of the stock pads and their velour construction.  If you want any kind of better isolation (and the accompanying change/improvement in sound), you should narrow your choices to only include pads that are made of material that isolates better than the stock pads.

thanks for a thorough advice and yeah I'm aware about cutting up the stock pads.  I use my pro 900 primarily for portable use so I want to have better isolation and less sound leakage.  

But my main question is whether the beyer pads will fit the platform Ultrasone pads comes in? If the dimensions are similar then I will definitely give the Beyer gel pads a shot.  But I don't have a lot of money to spend right now being a college student I'm trying to be careful.  If I can't find a clear answer I'll probably just buy the J$ Denon pads or something.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #3,622 of 5,992
Quote:
 thanks for a thorough advice and yeah I'm aware about cutting up the stock pads.  I use my pro 900 primarily for portable use so I want to have better isolation and less sound leakage.  

But my main question is whether the beyer pads will fit the platform Ultrasone pads comes in? If the dimensions are similar then I will definitely give the Beyer gel pads a shot.  But I don't have a lot of money to spend right now being a college student I'm trying to be careful.  If I can't find a clear answer I'll probably just buy the J$ Denon pads or something.

I'd probably stick with a known quantity then--either the J$ or XB700 pads.  No one that I know of has any experience with the beyer pads.  Grab those one day after you get holiday spending money or something and get a bug up your ass.

After that, it's academic...I like the XB700 pads better because of the centralized ear hole in the donut--and they're fluffier--but others prefer the J$ for their genuine leather, handmade construction.  They run about the same price (~$65) and offer similar levels of isolation.

Nov 10, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #3,623 of 5,992
The head-fier that first tried the denon J$ pads also tried the beyer J$s, and thought that the beyers worsened the sound quality by a lot.

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #3,624 of 5,992
Well got my pro 900's, and i love em.

Now i totally get what people rave, and hate about them. And i agree good bass recessed mids id say vocals being the weak link, and sparkly highs but a bit sibilant though im sure they'll warm up and and settle in very nicely.

And i get along fine with the pads, very comfortable so far.

Btw why do so many on here bash ultrasone, is it fotm to do this?

Ooh they like this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0pMgzYUEwA

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #3,625 of 5,992
When I was listening to pro 550 whole day only it was alright, but when I put them between grado sr325is and akg k702 they clearly showed their weakness that bothered me the most and it was not recessed mids and rolled off highs, it was distant flat sound which was not layered at all. I am tempted to buy pro 2900 but I am little worried that it will end the same way, we'll see.

Quote:
Btw why do so many on here bash ultrasone, is it fotm to do this?

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #3,626 of 5,992
Well can't say i've had much experience with full size cans, but the sound doesn't sound that flat to me, but granted they do have music they dislike then they come across a bit dull and flat.

Throw a track with a good beat and they shine, really shine they love pounding away.

I can see why many call them fun.

I have my sleek custom iem's if i want accurate anyway.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #3,627 of 5,992
Ultrasone pro 900 has a lot more bass emphasis than pro 550 so I could not find sanctuary even with the lows. At the end I preferred akg k702 for some flac electronic music  like current value (drum and bass) and trentemoller (tech house) and after I came to that found, sold them right away.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #3,628 of 5,992

Quote:
When I was listening to pro 550 whole day only it was alright, but when I put them between grado sr325is and akg k702 they clearly showed their weakness that bothered me the most and it was not recessed mids and rolled off highs, it was distant flat sound which was not layered at all. I am tempted to buy pro 2900 but I am little worried that it will end the same way, we'll see.

i dont know about flat, but i feel my pro 900s definitely have a bit of a distant sound to them, kinda weird tho, they sound very upfront sometimes. oh well i like them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #3,629 of 5,992
Ultrasone pro 550 has much more flatter bass response than pro 900 and highs are rolled off so it contributes to the "flatter" sound impression. At first pro 550 was very very aggressive, but burn in was spectacular :)  from up front to bass heavy and than the truth which I end up not liking. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #3,630 of 5,992
I've listened to the pro550, and the pro900 is in a completely different league in terms of resolution and soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back