Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #3,586 of 5,992

Quote:
Same here, it makes me think if it's even worth buying the ED8.

Still after those pads Colmustard! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Haha if I can find somebody willing to buy just the cable then I would be able to sell each item individually. It's alot more work on my part but it gets the job done.

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #3,587 of 5,992

Quote:
Haha if I can find somebody willing to buy just the cable then I would be able to sell each item individually. It's alot more work on my part but it gets the job done.

Somebody buy his cable!!! 
eek.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3,588 of 5,992
The D5000's must be pretty impressive, would you mind summing up why you prefer the them over the D2000 and Pro 900?

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate the compliment, but many people had the Pro 900 long before I did, and many other people will have it longer (I've recently sold mine).

The Pro 900 are probably the best choice for you.  They have awesome levels of bass, but not in a bad way; never does it make the music muddy, and never does it sound out of place (assuming you listen to them expecting that much bass, otherwise, the bass would easily seem overpowering).  They play Electronic music with an incredibly fast and authoritative presence, and they even do other genres like Metal and acoustic justice.  

The Denon's bass, while not as powerful, extends just as deep and has a satisfying "subwoofer" feel to it.  Even though it is quieter than the bass on the Ultrasone, the bass of the D2000 constantly tricked my brain into thinking a my sub was actually on, a pretty cool affect.  For sheer bass volume and speed, however, the Pro 900 easily wins.

They are both great headphones, and in my opinion, the only determining factor on which one to get is the listener's musical preferences and how he/she likes their bass served.

Pro 900: HUGE bass, primarily listens to Electronic music
Denon D2000: Strong, deep bass, great with many genres.

I compared the two and let the Pro 900 go, and I currently own a D5000 and love it.  But I will always concede that, for purely EDM, the Pro 900 is the better headphone.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #3,589 of 5,992
Here is the review of the D2000 I did, comparing them to the Pro 900.  Because the D5000 and D2000 are so similar, this should help answer your question.

Basically, I find that the D5000 offers excellent bass that, while it is less than the Pro 900's bass, still satisfies the basshead in me.  The Denon has better mids as well, and its soundstage, comfort, and tonality are better than the Ultrasone, albeit at the expense of speed and aggressiveness.  

Quote:
The D5000's must be pretty impressive, would you mind summing up why you prefer the them over the D2000 and Pro 900?

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #3,590 of 5,992
How well do the denons benefit from amping compared to the 900s? When i upgraded my amp my hd650s improves by leaps and bounds but i didnt hear any improvement in my 900s.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #3,591 of 5,992
Quote:
How well do the denons benefit from amping compared to the 900s? When i upgraded my amp my hd650s improves by leaps and bounds but i didnt hear any improvement in my 900s.

You know the Pro 900 made me rethink my purchases, as they did not improve vastly as other people described when using a similar rig and different headphones. Though I did hear in improvement in SQ and control, wasn't much. Felt more like the Pro 900 just became louder and boomy everytime I upgraded or added another peice of equipment to my rig.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #3,592 of 5,992
The D5000 and Pro 900 are similar in that they both don't require a super amp to make them sound great.  They are different, however, in that I think the D5000 sound worse without an amp versus their sound with one.  The Pro 900 can sound great out of an ipod, and an amp just adds that extra layer of refinement.  The D5000 sounds slow, bloated, and a bit boring without an amp.  With an amp, it becomes very dynamic and it sounds excellent.

Quote:

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #3,593 of 5,992
my pro 900s should arrive sometime this week 

hopefully i can get my hands on some denon sometime as well 
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #3,594 of 5,992
Alright guys here's the official response from an Ultrasone rep, turns out we were all wrong
basshead.gif

Quote:
[size=11.0pt]Hello Matt.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Thank you very much for your mail and your interest in our products.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]I am Julie form ULTRASONE HQ in Germany – nice to “meet” you[/size][size=11.0pt]J[/size][size=11.0pt].[/size]

[size=11.0pt]PRO 900 and PRO 2900 share the same driver, but Edition8 and Edition9 use other drivers. All three driver models are different, even if they are all titanium plated.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]I hope this helps.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Please feel free to contact me again if you need any further information.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Best regards,[/size]
[size=11.0pt]Julia[/size]

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #3,595 of 5,992

Quote:
Alright guys here's the official response from an Ultrasone rep, turns out we were all wrong
basshead.gif

wow, so who started the "same" driver BS about the ed 8/9 and the pros?

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #3,596 of 5,992

Quote:
basshead.gif

Julia is the same woman who told me that the silver pads sound the same as the black ones which of course is completely wrong....
I don't trust her man....
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #3,597 of 5,992
It'd be bad pr for the company if $400 headphones have the same drivers as $1.6k headphones.
I'm not saying she's lying, but her ambiguous answer is probably to avoid any meaningful truth.

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #3,598 of 5,992
Quote:
Julia is the same woman who told me that the silver pads sound the same as the black ones which of course is completely wrong....
I don't trust her man....
biggrin.gif

Common man I don't see how anybody can say that the silver pads sound different than the stock pads. They are very very very slightly softer, let's not over exagerate this and trick people into thinking the opposite. There is hardly a difference in sound. If there is any then it sure as hell isn't obvious. That being said they do look nicer and they do feel a little less itchy to me. The J$ pads on the other hand do change the sound because the material is vastly different and henceforth does slightly change the sound presentation.

On another note she also sold me my silver pads
gs1000.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #3,599 of 5,992
lets ask jibbie to see what he says, i trust him more 
biggrin.gif

hes the ultrasone master  of head-fi

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #3,600 of 5,992

Quote:
Common man I don't see how anybody can say that the silver pads sound different than the stock pads. They are very very very slightly softer, let's not over exagerate this and trick people into thinking the opposite. There is hardly a difference in sound. If there is any then it sure as hell isn't obvious. That being said they do look nicer and they do feel a little less itchy to me. The J$ pads on the other hand do change the sound because the material is vastly different and henceforth does slightly change the sound presentation.

On another note she also sold me my silver pads
gs1000.gif

To my ears the change of sound is very obvious and clear..
It's not only the looks and comfort.
We discussed this again on previous posts,i won't continue again the same old..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back