Ultrasone Pro 900 Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #3,601 of 5,992
Just bought a pair of these, my current pair are sony mdr xd300, but the pads are falling apart.

So i felt like spoling myself, im guessing the sound will be something rather special?

I wanted a good all rounder, and these seemed like just the ones i wanted.

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #3,602 of 5,992
Interesting.  I guess the ED.8 and Pro 900 do not share a driver.  

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #3,604 of 5,992

So I have recently purchased a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900, and I've noticed that a lot of people have modified the stock pads.  Since Ultrasone doesn't offer any good replacement pads (I don't wanna spend $30 + shipping on pleather pads), I need to strip off the spare pads and make my own.

Anyways, there are few that I found online:

Beyerdynamic Gel pads for DT770/990 - $37
Beyerdynamic EDT 990S softskin ear pads for DT770 or DT990 - $30
Beyerdynamic T5p replacement pads - $200
J$ Denon Lambskin pads - $70
J$ Beyer Lambskin pads - $58
Grado L-cush - $20
Grado G-cush - $45
Pioneer HDJ-2000 ear pads - $20

Also if someone can show me where to get Sony XB700 pads for cheap that'll be awesome (or place to get any of the above for cheaper).

Does anybody know how compatible any of the pads above will be on Pro 900's?  If I remember correctly, I think somebody said that Denon AH-D2/5/7k's and Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990/T1/T5p all have similar dimension of the ear cups.  I don't have too much money and if I try one of these pads I will write a review (except for J$ Denons because there are plenty already) about it so I'd appreciate it if someone could throw me some hints or tips.

Thank you in advance!

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #3,605 of 5,992

Quote:
Julia is the same woman who told me that the silver pads sound the same as the black ones which of course is completely wrong....
I don't trust her man....
biggrin.gif

Quote:
It'd be bad pr for the company if $400 headphones have the same drivers as $1.6k headphones.
I'm not saying she's lying, but her ambiguous answer is probably to avoid any meaningful truth.

What's ambiguous about it?  She flat-out stated that amongst the four models, there are three distinct drivers.  Did you want model numbers?  You can go to headroom and look up the FR graphs, or I'm sure US would be happy to provide you with their own--if you don't think their graphs would be too ambiguous.

C'mon.  Seriously.  The definitive word from Ultrasone is that there are different drivers in different models.  Is that really a surprise?  What reason would they have to lie?  It's well-established that once we break the ~$500 marker, the law of diminishing returns has an exponential spike when applied to headphones.  The question should be "what makes the Ed.8 worth roughly $900 more than the PRO900?" rather than "is it the same driver as in the PRO900?"  The latter question should have been an easily assumed "no", and--even though it apparently was not as easily assumed as I thought--we now have an unequivocal answer directly from the source.  It's a different driver.

Does the driver cost $900 more to manufacture?  Probably not.  Does it really matter?  Not even a little bit.

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #3,606 of 5,992

Quote:

So I have recently purchased a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900, and I've noticed that a lot of people have modified the stock pads.  Since Ultrasone doesn't offer any good replacement pads (I don't wanna spend $30 + shipping on pleather pads), I need to strip off the spare pads and make my own.

Anyways, there are few that I found online:

Beyerdynamic Gel pads for DT770/990 - $37
Beyerdynamic EDT 990S softskin ear pads for DT770 or DT990 - $30
Beyerdynamic T5p replacement pads - $200
J$ Denon Lambskin pads - $70
J$ Beyer Lambskin pads - $58
Grado L-cush - $20
Grado G-cush - $45
Pioneer HDJ-2000 ear pads - $20

Also if someone can show me where to get Sony XB700 pads for cheap that'll be awesome (or place to get any of the above for cheaper).

Does anybody know how compatible any of the pads above will be on Pro 900's?  If I remember correctly, I think somebody said that Denon AH-D2/5/7k's and Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990/T1/T5p all have similar dimension of the ear cups.  I don't have too much money and if I try one of these pads I will write a review (except for J$ Denons because there are plenty already) about it so I'd appreciate it if someone could throw me some hints or tips.

Thank you in advance!

You will have to cut up a set of your stock pads and glue any of the above mentioned pads onto the cog of your stock pads.  There are no direct swaps that aren't made by US.  XB500 pads will also fit, though it will be tighter than the XB700--it'll save you $30 or so over the XB700. 

The price of the t5 pads is ludicrous.  Are they made from snakeskin and padded with ultra-grade memory foam?  I'd never heard of that before.  Crazy talk.

Don't use the Grado pads unless you are a masochist.  I'm a Grado fan (I own two sets of heavily modified Grados) and I hate the pads with a purple passion.  Plus, I don't think any of them will fit the Ultrasone cups.

One thing to think of is that there's a reason most of the swaps have gone with the XB-series pleather or real leather.  The PRO900 leaks terribly thanks to the fairly unforgiving nature of the stock pads and their velour construction.  If you want any kind of better isolation (and the accompanying change/improvement in sound), you should narrow your choices to only include pads that are made of material that isolates better than the stock pads.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #3,608 of 5,992
Well, they both have a 40mm driver, so I don't see why not. Does the driver's membrane look different on the edition 8 or is it veiled by the cloth? 

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #3,610 of 5,992
So does anyone get along fine with the stock pads, all this talk of people ripping them off, and gluing on some preferred pads has me a smidge concerned.

And are there any guides kicking about?

Also has j$ sorted out the quality of his pads, read up there were a few issues a few months back saying avoid basically.

Im tempted to just buy the xb700's, but it'd seem like such a shame to rip apart a new pair of cans just for the pads.

Might contact my local sony shop and see if they can order them in perhaps?

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #3,611 of 5,992
I never changed pads, and was always fine with the stock ones.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #3,612 of 5,992
Quote:
So does anyone get along fine with the stock pads, all this talk of people ripping them off, and gluing on some preferred pads has me a smidge concerned.

Also has j$ sorted out the quality of his pads, read up there were a few issues a few months back saying avoid basically.

Im tempted to just buy the xb700's, but it'd seem like such a shame to rip apart a new pair of cans just for the pads.

Most people are good with the stock pads, like Jibbie said.  I ripped them off as soon as I had the idea to use the pads from my XB700 that I already had but wasn't using.  i couldn't get a seal to save my life with the stock pads because I have a tiny head.  Honestly, I like the way the PRO900 look the best with the black stock pads, and I thought they were really comfortable.

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #3,613 of 5,992

Quote:

Most people are good with the stock pads, like Jibbie said.  I ripped them off as soon as I had the idea to use the pads from my XB700 that I already had but wasn't using.  i couldn't get a seal to save my life with the stock pads because I have a tiny head.  Honestly, I like the way the PRO900 look the best with the black stock pads, and I thought they were really comfortable.

^^
This

Quote:

I just received my 900s and I absolutely love them. I have no comfort issues whatsoever with the stock pads, I find them very comfortable. I personally don't like the pads on my XB500's, they certainly isolate better but they make my ears hot after about 30 minutes and they hurt my ears. It could just be me of course, but I believe you'll love the headphones the way they are. I don't even want to burn them in, I absolutely love their sound straight out of the box. Just try them first and mod later if you feel the need  
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #3,614 of 5,992
Quote:

Tis the reason I switched to the XB700 pads, though I have a huge head
confused.gif

I also like the look of the Pro 900 with the stock pads, it gives it more of a refined look. though I also like it when women see mine with the XB700 pads and say "JESUS those are huge, may I touch them?.... oh so soft"
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #3,615 of 5,992
well finally got my pro 900s and they are awesome!!!

im definitely a dubstep girl now 
biggrin.gif

on note, these are the first headphones ive heard that have crazy amounts of bass while still having good mids.

the mids are finally not recessed!!  its like the bass overpowers everything, yet doesn't leak in and muffle the rest of the sound spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back