Ultrasone PRO 750 vs Ultrasone HFI 780 vs BeyerDynamic DT 770 for iPod without an amp?
Aug 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tbo141

New Head-Fier
Hey, I've been looking for a closed back audiophile quality headphone to use as a portable set with my ipod.

After a ton of research I have it down to:

Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 780
BeyerDynamic DT 770

I like to listen to hip-hop/rap so definitely want a lot of strong bass, but also listen to alternative and acoustic music as well.
I previously bought the Bose QC3's but returned them...I like the bass but the treble and highs were lacking completely.

I'm trying to stay under $300. I'm leaning towards the ultrasone's as they have smaller ear cups (can be worn on the street), fold up for portability and also come with a hard shell carrying case. Anyone who has tried any or all of them, please comment as to which has the fuller sound, bass on each of them, as well as suggestions for which to get.
Thanks

Also, I see that on the ultrasone website, you can purchase a 1.5M cord to replace the 3M cords on all of their headphones...does this degrade sound quality, because I would really like to have a short cord if possible and not have to lug around a 10 foot cord with me?

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 5
My recommendation would be the Ultrasone's.

I own several cans, including Ultrasone 900's and Beyer 770 Pro 80's - not exactly the comparison you wanted, but in the ballpark.
I compared both these cans by running straight off a 1st Gen iPad and a 5th Gen iPod Nano selecting some bass heavy tracks in your preferred genre's.

As has been noted by others here, both Ultrasone and the Beyer have good bass reach.
The Beyer's are not as smooth in the treble and don't deliver as much sound pressure as the Ultrasone's.

I like the Beyer's for urban and alternative, but prefer the Ultrasone's for acoustic.
The Beyer's are really easy to wear.
The Utlrasone's are comfy enough and clearly deliver a more all-around acoustically satisfying experience.

If you're budget sensitive and can live with a bit more bite in the treble, then the Beyer's are a good choice.
If you prefer higher sound pressures from unamplified sources and want a creamier treble, then the 40 ohm Ultrasones Pro 750's are probably the pick.

Either way you'll end up with a decent outcome.

As for the cord, classic wisdom is "the shorter the better" as far as signal quality goes.

- T.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 5
I have had both the 780 and Pro 750.

Unless you have a serious love for cold, metallic treble and have a serious amp, I would recommend the HFI-780.  They are a lot more fun to listen to, and I find they do make good all-rounders.  The new 780s also have a nice short cable, with a longer extension cable bundled in.

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 5
I ended up caving in and buying a pair of PRO-750's offline.  After reading sooo much about them, I was dissappointed after listening to them for the first time, to some house music.  

But after hearing people say they had to be broken in (in order to rid the stiff-meticallic-ness), I played loud music through them for hours upon days. 

Now I love them, they work perfect for my mixing, sound testing, they sound amaaazingg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back