Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
Nov 23, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #151 of 421
I tried too, it's effectively worse, but I didn't hear any noticeable changes on the soudstage imo.
However, Nora Jones with pro2900, its excellent, very good midrange and fantastic bass from 2900, miam. I didn't think pro2900 could sometimes be better than HD650 with Nora. Pro900 was so bad with her,lol.

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #152 of 421
I tried reversing the 2900 on my head, and oddly it did indeed clear up most of the sibilance. Unfortunately just about every other aspect of the sound signature is worse. 
frown.gif

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #154 of 421

Quote:
Just a quick observation that these 2900's pair very well to the Astro Mixamp 5.8.

They have enough room for volume to enable the chat sound mix for games, and the Dolby feature works a treat for movies. Overall very happy with this combo so far.

Have you tried the Turtle Beach Earforce? I purchased it and decided to return it because it wasn't a very good with the 2900s, there was quite a bit of hiss in the background, and the dolby processing wasn't all that great.. did you notice that with the Astro? Also do you feel like the Astro does a better or equal job to connecting the headphones directly to a home theater receiver? Thanks.

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #155 of 421
Call me crazy but I think I'm going to get the Busron HA-160DS for christmas to go along with my Sones.
Is there any reason that these would be a bad match or anything else I should be looking at. I've ruled out tubes and the Audio GD amp/dacs.

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #156 of 421
Never tried the Turtle Beaches before, but they run on a common frequency and hear problems of popping and hissing. 

The Mixamp 5.8 has nearly zero hiss. Incredible for a wireless system from RX to TX. 

They are about the same power wise with my receiver. The Dolby effect definitely spreads the sound more. I compared them extensively. 

The chat feature is a lot clearer for voice over Bluetooth too. My mates can hear me clearer. If you buy it, make sure you invest in the battery pack. 

Quote:
Have you tried the Turtle Beach Earforce? I purchased it and decided to return it because it wasn't a very good with the 2900s, there was quite a bit of hiss in the background, and the dolby processing wasn't all that great.. did you notice that with the Astro? Also do you feel like the Astro does a better or equal job to connecting the headphones directly to a home theater receiver? Thanks.

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #158 of 421

Quote:
Call me crazy but I think I'm going to get the Busron HA-160DS for christmas to go along with my Sones.
Is there any reason that these would be a bad match or anything else I should be looking at. I've ruled out tubes and the Audio GD amp/dacs.

i havent tried the burson with pro 2900,, but ive tried it with the pro650 and i think the combination is very good.. if you end up buying those do tell your finding about how it paired with the pro 2900 though..

Quote:
Was thinking of getting the corda 2stepdance. Anybody have opinion on this combo?

from the meier amp that ive tried up to the concerto i feels that the ultrasone just dont match well the meier amps.. meier amps are usually analytical and dry sounding amp, and i dont think it suits the ultrasone sound signature...

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #159 of 421

Quote:
from the meier amp that ive tried up to the concerto i feels that the ultrasone just dont match well the meier amps.. meier amps are usually analytical and dry sounding amp, and i dont think it suits the ultrasone sound signature...

It comes down to preference, I suppose. Personally I find the Concerto pairs pretty well with the PRO 2900. It's a very clear and detailed amp, but I've always found it to have a very small touch of sweetness. The high impedance setting removes a bit of the sibilance for me, though you'll get more room to adjust on the low setting. On the other hand, pairing the PRO 2900 with syrupy tube amps produces awful results to my ears. I think the biggest issue with the Concerto will be the top end, which might prove a bit too lively with a poorly matched source.

Edit: I should also add that I personally don't think most Ultrasones even need an expensive amp necessarily. If you have a good source, they'll sound fine.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #160 of 421
well for me ultrasone match well with neutral and musical sounding amp,, and the meier amp just not those kind of amp i think,, but dont be mistaken i like the meier amp sound signature, i've even had the headsix and 2move amp, but just not for the ultrasone... our preference may different though.. 
wink.gif

i agree that ultrasone benefit from a better dac/source better than an expensive amp..

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #161 of 421
anyone have an opinion on whether I should get the Schiit Lyr or Woo Audio WA6 Amps for the 2900s? I hated the sound of some of the SS amps I have had in the past (music hall/Nuforce HDP), looking for a warmer sound.. Or any other recommendations.. Don't want to spend over $800.

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #162 of 421
H1MPA is a good headphone amp in A class, SS but in the warmer side, but i think you can find better for cheaper.

Unfortunately I don't know US price.

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #163 of 421

Quote:
anyone have an opinion on whether I should get the Schiit Lyr or Woo Audio WA6 Amps for the 2900s? I hated the sound of some of the SS amps I have had in the past (music hall/Nuforce HDP), looking for a warmer sound.. Or any other recommendations.. Don't want to spend over $800.

i've heard the lyr,, and i think its a little bright sounding for a tube/hybrid amp.. for the pro 2900 i'll put my money on the woo wa6... maybe  graham slee solo for the alternatives SS amp..

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #164 of 421

Quote:

Have you heard the Schiit Asgard? It's generally considered to be on the warmer side for solid state.

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #165 of 421

Quote:
Have you heard the Schiit Asgard? It's generally considered to be on the warmer side for solid state.

I wanted to at least get a hybrid, I've given up hope with SS amps.. even the SS in my peachtree doesn't sound amazing, hence my desire to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back