Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
Nov 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #106 of 421

Quote:
It would be good if someone can compare soundstage of these babies with something like k701 or denon d2000...

I don't think anything compares to the soundstage of the k701 lol

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #107 of 421
Yeah, real soundstage monsters and highly doubt that there is no other 'phone that can compare with them but regardless, want to create reference point so I can have insight on pro 2900 abillities. Do not expect to be on pair with akg but would not like to feel down when I make the switch.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #108 of 421
Well if it helps-the K70x soundstage is unnaturally wide imo. The Pro 2900s are much more accurate, and 3D in their soundstage and imaging. I'm not to adept at describing the more subtle nuances of soundstaging, so I'll leave it at that. Hope that helps. :wink:

-Daniel

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #109 of 421

Quote:
Well if it helps-the K70x soundstage is unnaturally wide imo. The Pro 2900s are much more accurate, and 3D in their soundstage and imaging. I'm not to adept at describing the more subtle nuances of soundstaging, so I'll leave it at that. Hope that helps. :wink:

-Daniel

Agreed, nothing really compares to the k701 soundstage because they just downright shouldn't, it's unnatural. That being said it can make live instrumental music sound incredible. The soundstage for the 2900s from what I heard is just where it should be.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #110 of 421
Yep-I will say that I still haven't heard acoustic music sound better on anything, than the K702.  Such an incredible headphone that got me started in this hobby.
beyersmile.png

On another note-I sure wish there were more members willing to try the 2900s-certainly one of the most underappreciated headphones on this site. I think the biggest problem is the stigma that Ultrasone can't make anything resembling a neutral/balanced headphone, and they also assume it's pretty much the same as a Pro 900, but more expensive. They'd be wrong on both counts.
wink_face.gif

-Daniel

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #111 of 421

Quote:
It would be good if someone can compare soundstage of these babies with something like k701 or denon d2000...

I've had the D2000s and I currently have the D7000s... the 2900s have a much wider soundstage and like others have mentioned, the S-Logic surround likely helps with that... the 2900s are definitely a step up from the D2000s.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #112 of 421
As  long as it doesn't sound cramped when put to the akg's I am very satisfied.

Quote:

-Daniel

Denon had somehow smaller presentation then akg, newertheless they were very enjoyable in terms of soundstage.  

Quote:
I've had the D2000s and I currently have the D7000s... the 2900s have a much wider soundstage and like others have mentioned, the S-Logic surround likely helps with that... the 2900s are definitely a step up from the D2000s.

Thanks fellas it looks that pro 2900 is on the sight

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #113 of 421
It is off topic, but when I bought my akg's I had a chance to compare them with Adam A7 studio monitors in treated room hooked to rme ff 800. We did not get impression that soundstage was unnatural, as matter a fact it was on pair with Adams which are known as very neutral and "easy" mixing speakers, we were stunned and we all bought akg k702.

Quote:
Well if it helps-the K70x soundstage is unnaturally wide imo.

Quote:

Agreed, nothing really compares to the k701 soundstage because they just downright shouldn't, it's unnatural. That being said it can make live instrumental music sound incredible. The soundstage for the 2900s from what I heard is just where it should be.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #114 of 421

Well I personally don't have that big of an issue with the K702's soundstage-but I have heard better/more coherent ones. Soundstage with headphones is overrated anyway. :)

-Daniel

Quote:
It is off topic, but when I bought my akg's I had a chance to compare them with Adam A7 studio monitors in treated room hooked to rme ff 800. We did not get impression that soundstage was unnatural, as matter a fact it was on pair with Adams which are known as very neutral and "easy" mixing speakers, we were stunned and we all bought akg k702.

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #116 of 421
Ok people, I found a Pro 2900 for a good deal. My question is do I get it or save a bit more and get the LCD-2. Keep in mind that I already have an aftermarket cable that allows me to use the Pro 2900 in balanced mode. Also another aftermarket cable for the LCD-2 will go for around another $200. I know financialy the Pro 2900 would be a better choice, but I'm looking for the best sound.

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #117 of 421

Quote:
Ok people, I found a Pro 2900 for a good deal. My question is do I get it or save a bit more and get the LCD-2. Keep in mind that I already have an aftermarket cable that allows me to use the Pro 2900 in balanced mode. Also another aftermarket cable for the LCD-2 will go for around another $200. I know financialy the Pro 2900 would be a better choice, but I'm looking for the best sound.

the lcd-2 rev.2 has smoother tonality and are not as "picky" as the pro 2900, the lcd-2 are more like a mid centric headphone with a very good bass and detail separation, though different in presentation i consider both has a very good frequency balance, the lcd-2 rev. 2 has a very wide soundstage but the soundstage is not as coherent and dimentional as the pro 2900,, the pro 2900 also has better impact and power in overall frequency.... i'd say that the LCD-2 rev.2 is overall a better headphone but the pro2900 have halves the price and the performance are not too behind either..

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #118 of 421
Sound like i'm gonna have to go with the LCD-2 though I wish I could get both.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #119 of 421
I wanted to thank everyone who has reviewed the pro2900, because I did not think to buy it at first, having already the 900, but I'm very happy to have listened all of you, lol.
I use pro900 mainly for gaming and movies, sometimes for a bit of electro and hip-hop and it's perfect for these kind of music, but for the others ...
Loving beautiful voices/midrange, pro900 was very disappointing, but I don't expected more with all the existing reviews. Pro2900 is really, really very different from pro900. Clear, very detailed like the pro900 but much more beautiful midrange, more emphasized, an excellent soundstage, more warm, better bass, less boomy, more real, but still very present and very punchy, ultrasound oblige. Beautiful high without sibilance.
Like all others here, I certainly agree that this headphone is really underrated, everyone thinks that it is only pro900, but open, but not at all, it's completely different, a delight and really an fantastic all rounder.
If I had to give one small complaint, pads of pro2900 are a bit smaller, so the ears can touch edges (no problems with mine,lol), but it's really a detail.

For 380-400€, a must buy.

Sorry for my bad english:)

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #120 of 421

Quote:
I wanted to thank everyone who has reviewed the pro2900, because I did not think to buy it at first, having already the 900, but I'm very happy to have listened all of you, lol.
I use pro900 mainly for gaming and movies, sometimes for a bit of electro and hip-hop and it's perfect for these kind of music, but for the others ...
Loving beautiful voices/midrange, pro900 was very disappointing, but I don't expected more with all the existing reviews. Pro2900 is really, really very different from pro900. Clear, very detailed like the pro900 but much more beautiful midrange, more emphasized, an excellent soundstage, more warm, better bass, less boomy, more real, but still very present and very punchy, ultrasound oblige. Beautiful high without sibilance.
Like all others here, I certainly agree that this headphone is really underrated, everyone thinks that it is only pro900, but open, but not at all, it's completely different, a delight and really an fantastic all rounder.
If I had to give one small complaint, pads of pro2900 are a bit smaller, so the ears can touch edges (no problems with mine,lol), but it's really a detail.

For 380-400€, a must buy.

Sorry for my bad english:)

welcome to the small pro2900 club bro.. nice impression, mimic mine as well 
beerchug.gif

i see from your sig. that you've already had a very nice setup, i bet it can optimally drive the pro2900 because the pro 2900 really shine with bigger setup.. 
wink_face.gif
 as for the comfort at least its definitely better than the "neck-breaker" LCD-2 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back