Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
Nov 7, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #77 of 421
Everyone here seems to agree, except for you.
You claim to have auditioned them once, so with all due respect, I suggest you give the pro2900 another listen...

Quote:

what...

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #78 of 421
I have, my friend right down the hall from me has them. I honestly cannot understand how anybody can come to the conclusion that these are neutral sounding headphones. I suppose you could say that they sound neutral when COMPARED to the 900s simply because the bass is toned down due to them being open, but they are certainly not even a smidgen close to neutral sounding headphones.

That's just my honest opinion. God only knows, maybe the one's I've been a/b'ing sound different than yours.

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #79 of 421
Perhaps, but it's not only me... Literally, everyone on head-fi who has auditioned (note the wording) them, believes that they sound different. As reference, I have a pair of esw9, w1000x, and Rooth 6 driver customs, and while they aren't as mid-centric as the esw9 and w1000x, the gap isn't as big as with the pro900. The mids are definitely not as recessed as the pro900's, and no, I'm trying to deceive my mind into appreciating differences that don't exist just to justify my total expenditure. I agree that the silver and black pads don't sound too different, but damn, the pro900 and pro2900 don't share the same midrange presentation. Even some of my friends that don't care too much about the matter appreciated the difference. I really do think that the pro2900 sound very natural and neutral, and that's coming from someone who owns reference custom iems nad has extensively auditioned Stax electrostatic headphones.

Lastly, the pro2900 and pro900 share the same driver, but they are tuned differently for each respective model. This would obviously account for a different sound sig., wouldn't you think so?

P.S. I'm sorry if my post sounded demeaning, cause it really isn't my intention. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #80 of 421
I guess I'll take your word for it, the only considerably neutral or reference can's I've had were k701 and dt880 so you outrank me there.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #82 of 421

Quote:
To someone with my taste in music having a "smooth" or "warm" warn sound is bad. I like a somewhat cold, aggressive, but not harsh sound.
These are pretty neutral headphones, some times I find them too warm, but then the next song comes on and they are cold. They are quite faithful to the recording being played. I don't mean this in a bad way though, I'll be enjoying one song, and think "oh man, this sound isn't going to go over well with the next song" then the song comes on and its like I'm listening to a whole nother pair of headphones made just for that song.

Our tastes are definitely different... but I'd agree that the 2900s are faithful to their recording, my Denons make everything sound amazing while the Ultrasones make some recordings sound downright awful while others do sound great.. I'm not bashing the 2900s, I think they're great phones, just not as great as being all a rounders as my Denons (for the reason I mentioned), but like with everything, to each his own... these are just personal opinions and my 2900s are still burning in so its likely they'll become more forgiving with some time..

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #83 of 421
These 2900s are impressive. Very impressive. They do sound to my ears, for my tastes, better than the DT880s and might even give the LCd-2s a run for their money really.

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #84 of 421
Interesting, how do they compare to your Edition 8 if you don't mind my asking?

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #85 of 421
ok.. so I just purchased a Yamaha receiver with a good headphone out because my Peachtree amp/dac couldn't decode dolby and dts. I tried the receiver out with my Denon D7000s and the Ultrasone 2900s. This is where the 2900s shine, the separation of sounds with the s-logic is awesome, the D7000s don't come close for movies and games... This is actually why I bought these bad boys and I'm really happy.

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #86 of 421

Good stuff, the transparency and positioning is amazing. It's one of the only, if not only dynamic I've tried that nearly reaches electrostatic levels.
Quote:
ok.. so I just purchased a Yamaha receiver with a good headphone out because my Peachtree amp/dac couldn't decode dolby and dts. I tried the receiver out with my Denon D7000s and the Ultrasone 2900s. This is where the 2900s shine, the separation of sounds with the s-logic is awesome, the D7000s don't come close for movies and games... This is actually why I bought these bad boys and I'm really happy.

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #87 of 421

Quote:
Interesting, how do they compare to your Edition 8 if you don't mind my asking?

Pretty good. I prefer the Ed8s..  by the slightest margins, if at all. But maybe because I paid alotta money for it? :D

But in all seriousness, they do sound rather similiar. The semi open design helps give it a less airy soundstage although the Ed 8s are not anywhere near congested.

Both have great extension on both sides. If theres one thing the Ed 8's do better, its imaging and detail, but only just. Teh ed8's are slightly crispier and edgier on the treble. In contrast, the mids of the 2900's come out better. Both carry the ultrasone bass. Sumptuous stuff.

Build quality I gotta give to the 2900s. I returned my Ed8s for squeaking hinge, got the LE because they don't squeak (palladiums squeak too). But the wood inlays are popped out. Had to glue them back. Poor stuff. In contract, the sturdy build of the 2900s look like they can last tru a nuclear war. And there is not much that can go wrong with them.

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #88 of 421
Damn, they really do hold their own at that price level then. Btw, are your pro2900 thoroughly broken-in or are they still new?

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #90 of 421
Leander7777:

How would you say the 2900s compare to the T1? That is my next purchase, and they appear on paper to share a few similar traits, i.e. very transparent, detailed, great bass, and extraordinary imaging...thanks.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back