Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
Nov 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #91 of 421

Quote:
Leander7777:

How would you say the 2900s compare to the T1? That is my next purchase, and they appear on paper to share a few similar traits, i.e. very transparent, detailed, great bass, and extraordinary imaging...thanks.

-Daniel

T1's are a German flagship. 2900's arent. They're half the price!. But given the choice, I'd get the 2900s and save the 600 or so dollars. Bring some girls..  or the partner out for a nice date, or throw a big party or something.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #93 of 421
Hey guys, sorry I'm a newbie but I'm thinking about getting the Ultrasone Pro 2900, and the Cambridge Audio DACMagic that MetroBBOY mentioned. What else do I need? Any recommendations on amps? (I'm guessing I don't need a PC sound card if I have the DAC)

Also, sidenote, getting Swan M200MKIII (2.0) speakers to use with the DAC.

(all for desktop gaming usage)

Thanks!

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #94 of 421

Quote:
Um, I'm willing to pay for better sound-this is a passion of mine-not a hobby. :)

-Daniel

I had read a few reviews stating that the T1s aren't that strong in the bass department.. the whole point of the T1s and the HD800s from my understanding is neutrality and transparency.. But, T1s are definitely on my radar too if/when I ever decide to spend that much on a headphone.

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #95 of 421
I'm not a basshead by any means-and I value neutrality and transparency very much! Many reviews and head-fiers here also claim the T1s have some of the best bass out there. YYMV

-Daniel

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #96 of 421
I've heard the T1 before. At least a good 2-3 hours of listening but enough to form a short opinion.

I'll be brutally honest. If the T1 and 2900 were the same price, I'd still go 2900 for pure overall sound enjoyment. The soundstage and detail of the T1 is obviously miles better, but the bass was less than enjoyable. I prefer a little bit of coloration to my cans, therefore I will never see myself owning one of the German flagships.The build quality is absolutely superb though. The cable feels like it was built for use by the Army.

@mikeradio - If you wanted to get a dedicated DAC like the DACMagic, how much would you allow for amp budget? Probably the lowest I could recommend is the Fiio E9. Rock bottom value that's for sure. I'm personally interested in the Matrix M Stage though.

Nov 9, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #97 of 421
They probably mean quality, rather than quantity. I like the bass on the 2900 in that it doesn't destroy the midrange frequencies.

Quote:
I'm not a basshead by any means-and I value neutrality and transparency very much! Many reviews and head-fiers here also claim the T1s have some of the best bass out there. YYMV

-Daniel

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #98 of 421
Well, It's been a while since I've thoroughly auditioned the T1s, but I do remember not liking them too much. The mids were neutral, the bass was well defined and very tight, but sort of lacked weight and the highs were too sharp and a bit uneven. I auditioned a few headphones in juxtaposition, as my friend is an employee at a hi-fi store, and thus I had access to an amazing array of headphones and sources. Funnily enough, the T1s were his favorite dynamic headphones and so he actually owned them. To each their own I suppose.

If I were to compare the t1 to the pro2900, I'd say that the pro2900 has smoother mids and highs, the bass is stronger and the soundstage is wider. Transparency and imaging on both is very good, but it's been a while, so I don't know which one is better in that regard. As for detailing, I definitely don't think either one is far more detailed, and to be honest, headphones don't need to get more detailed than the pro2900. It could very well be that the t1 is slightly more detailed; my custom iems, for one, are.

Once again, my memory of the T1 has faded with time, so I might be wrong. All I do distinctly remember is that I didn't like them too much...

Quote:
I've heard the T1 before. At least a good 2-3 hours of listening but enough to form a short opinion.

I'll be brutally honest. If the T1 and 2900 were the same price, I'd still go 2900 for pure overall sound enjoyment. The soundstage and detail of the T1 is obviously miles better, but the bass was less than enjoyable. I prefer a little bit of coloration to my cans, therefore I will never see myself owning one of the German flagships.The build quality is absolutely superb though. The cable feels like it was built for use by the Army.

@mikeradio - If you wanted to get a dedicated DAC like the DACMagic, how much would you allow for amp budget? Probably the lowest I could recommend is the Fiio E9. Rock bottom value that's for sure. I'm personally interested in the Matrix M Stage though.

Quote:

-Daniel

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #99 of 421
i just had a chance to listen (again) to the wooaudio wa6 in a friend place's and gives a closer listening, this version are with the sophia princess and blackgate upgrade, paired with my DIY tube dac and the pro 2900 it produces the most natural midrange out of the pro 2900 that i've ever heard,, compared to my friend's hd650 i prefer the pro 2900 midrange, its clearer, less grainy while almost as smooth, what impress me the most is how clean and black the background can be,, the sound just "pop" out from the space.. the pro 2900 also better than hd 650 in imaging and 3d spaciality... the only drawback i found is when i play some busy and fast pace songs, the "attack" and speed are slightly reduced ( but still very much enjoyable and has a decent PRAT)... i think in the near future i would grab the wa 6 as it gives me a really nice experience with the pro 2900.. and i encourage once again to anyone that want to go to that direction should gives the wooaudio wa6 a try... 
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #100 of 421

Quote:
Well, It's been a while since I've thoroughly auditioned the T1s, but I do remember not liking them too much. The mids were neutral, the bass was well defined and very tight, but sort of lacked weight and the highs were too sharp and a bit uneven. I auditioned a few headphones in juxtaposition, as my friend is an employee at a hi-fi store, and thus I had access to an amazing array of headphones and sources. Funnily enough, the T1s were his favorite dynamic headphones and so he actually owned them. To each their own I suppose.

If I were to compare the t1 to the pro2900, I'd say that the pro2900 has smoother mids and highs, the bass is stronger and the soundstage is wider. Transparency and imaging on both is very good, but it's been a while, so I don't know which one is better in that regard. As for detailing, I definitely don't think either one is far more detailed, and to be honest, headphones don't need to get more detailed than the pro2900. It could very well be that the t1 is slightly more detailed; my custom iems, for one, are.

Once again, my memory of the T1 has faded with time, so I might be wrong. All I do distinctly remember is that I didn't like them too much...

Thanks for the impressions! More than a few people here claim the T1 to be a natural progression of the K702, which means it's probably a love it or leave it headphone. Transparency, detail, soundstaging is probably similar on both. I would think the main differences lie in bass quantity and tonality-with the T1 being a large improvement I'd assume. I'm a HUGE fan of the K702, so you can probably see where my enthusiasm lies. I do wish more people would get the 2900 though-it seems to be extremely underrated, but is definitely one of the best headphones under a grand imo.

Quote:
i just had a chance to listen (again) to the wooaudio wa6 in a friend place's and gives a closer listening, this version are with the sophia princess and blackgate upgrade, paired with my DIY tube dac and the pro 2900 it produces the most natural midrange out of the pro 2900 that i've ever heard,, compared to my friend's hd650 i prefer the pro 2900 midrange, its clearer, less grainy while almost as smooth, what impress me the most is how clean and black the background can be,, the sound just "pop" out from the space.. the pro 2900 also better than hd 650 in imaging and 3d spaciality... the only drawback i found is when i play some busy and fast pace songs, the "attack" and speed are slightly reduced ( but still very much enjoyable and has a decent PRAT)... i think in the near future i would grab the wa 6 as it gives me a really nice experience with the pro 2900.. and i encourage once again to anyone that want to go to that direction should gives the wooaudio wa6 a try... 
biggrin.gif

I agree that the 2900 sounds amazing with tubes-just try to find one that doesn't skimp on dynamics, Prat, etc. I LOVED the mids/vocals when I played mine through the $99 Qinpu Q-2-absolutely beautiful. It did lack dynamics, detail, seperation-which is to be expected from such a budget tube amp anyway. I suppose the 6SE would be absolutely marvelous.

-Daniel

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #101 of 421

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the post... I'm very interested in purchasing the woo6 at some point in the near future and wanted to know if the sophia princess upgrade was worth it... I wonder if it makes a huge improvement on the sound (its a pretty expensive upgrade).. I might just get it cause it looks cool. haha.

Nov 10, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #102 of 421

Quote:
Thanks for the post... I'm very interested in purchasing the woo6 at some point in the near future and wanted to know if the sophia princess upgrade was worth it... I wonder if it makes a huge improvement on the sound (its a pretty expensive upgrade).. I might just get it cause it looks cool. haha.

from what i've experienced with several wa6 that i've tried,, the one with the sophia princess are generally sounds much better than with the stock tube,, while the caps upgrade gives a different sound signature.. so for me the sophia princess upgrade is a must.. 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #103 of 421
After about 100 hours my 2900s have really opened up, the "hotness" has wound down and everything is much much smoother, I'm really liking the clarity and bass.. everything comes together nicely and sounds awesome!

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #104 of 421
The soundstage is amazing and it continues to improve until around 400hrs. They remain bright, but they convey not even a hint of sibilance (imho). They actually make my pair of w1000x sound rather sibilant, although vocals are quite a lot lusher with the w1000x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back