Ultrasone Pro 2900 Thread
Nov 3, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #62 of 421
Well, I have both of them right here, and I can't see how someone wouldn't think so. They sound similar, and I can tell that they are based off the same driver, but both have very different presentations. The pro2900 are warmer, more neutral, smoother, slightly darker, and have less slam, but therefore faster and more resolving bass. Tonality is very realistic and the soundstage is extremely airy, especially from 300hrs onwards. In contrast, the pro900's soundstage feels spacious but contained/finite (it's a sensation that's hard to describe
redface.gif
). Anyway, they both have their advantages, but the pro2900 just feel like the more refined overall package.
Might I add, that I plan on keeping both, so I'm quite impartial? 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Disagreed. I've given an extensive listen to my friends 2900's and they are not as vastly different as you say. Yes they are open, which changes the sound up. But they still have that same electro-house sound that ultrasone is known for.

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #63 of 421
Well, I have both of them right here, and I can't see how someone wouldn't think so. They sound similar, and I can tell that they are based off the same driver, but both have very different presentations. The pro2900 are warmer, more neutral, smoother, slightly darker, and have less slam, but therefore faster and more resolving bass. Tonality is very realistic and the soundstage is extremely airy, especially from 300hrs onwards. In contrast, the pro900's soundstage feels spacious but contained/finite (it's a sensation that's hard to describe
redface.gif
). Anyway, they both have their advantages, but the pro2900 just feel like the more refined overall package.
Might I add, that I plan on keeping both, so I'm quite impartial? 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Disagreed. I've given an extensive listen to my friends 2900's and they are not as vastly different as you say. Yes they are open, which changes the sound up. But they still have that same electro-house sound that ultrasone is known for.

Well, I have been demoing some Audio technica w1000x (Crowned as the vocal kings of the dynamic world) for the past 2 months, and while I do appreciate their silky and emotional portrayal of vocals, I tend to prefer the pro2900... They are both very good in their own way though and I fully understand how someone would much prefer the w1000x. Btw, the w1000x's soundstage depth is uncanny. Amazing stuff, especially for classic rock, which is the genre for which the w1000x definitely perform more to my liking.

Quote:
I forgot to mention that I've limited my AD900 listening to vocals, jazz and soul.
The midrange capabilities on the AD900 is better for these genres. The 2900 will perform nicely as well, but I prefer the AD900.

I'm glad I finally have good sets of cans for specific music.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #64 of 421
I don't think anyone has stated that they don't sound anything like an Ultrasone can.
They share a similar trait, but the 2900 has a character that the 900 couldn't touch with a 10ft pole.
Quote:

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #65 of 421

Quote:

there's no doubt that pro 2900 still has the ultrasone signature,, especially when you play some electronic music the pro 2900 would sound very much alike the pro 900,, but when you play a song like jazz or audiophile music,, the big n fat bass in the pro 2900 suddenly disappeared changes into a tight controlled bass,, and the mids suddenly appear in a clear and smooth fashion, but not so with the pro 900.. i dont know how the ultrasone had done to the driver despite them saying that the pro 900 and 2900 shared the same driver,, but this was also the case with the pro 750 and pro 2500... the pro 2900 has a "chameleon" sound signature and can improves/changes much with better equipment and are also more transparent to the source, while the pro 900 did'nt improve as much and still retain its own coloration despite the change in equipment..

but thats IMO YMMV.

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #67 of 421

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #68 of 421

Nov 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #69 of 421
The two headphones are very different in stock form-everything I've already mentioned, and Leander7777's comments too. I could easily justify owning both.

Colmustard: Are you generally refering to your Pro 900/ J$ padded/ Blue Dragon cabled one? That could easily have changed the stock 900 into something more akin to the 2900 I'd imagine...

-Daniel

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #70 of 421
Just got my power back, its been hard going without my 2900s for a week and I am quite sick of the dark, veiled K81s from my portable rig.
I havn't listened to anything yet, except a pesky ad, I'm wondering what album I should start with. :cool:

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #71 of 421
Had my 2900s for about a week now.. They do benefit a lot from burn in, more than I noticed with my Denon DX000 line.. But having also owned the Pro 900s at some point I do agree that the 2900 has a character all its own but at the same time when listening to certain tracks (electronic - like someone else mentioned) it does remind me of the Pro 900, though the 2900s are still much better in my opinion.

I have about 50 hours on mine so far, the soundstage improved quite a bit, but I feel like by D7000s are more musical than the 2900s, compared to the denons the ultraones don't sound dark or warm at all, they sound pretty cold (I can see how they sound warm when compared to the pro 900 though..). Hopefully the musicality will develop more with burn in, from my understanding Ultrasone is one of those headphone brands than really develop their sound with burning in (crossing fingers)..

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #73 of 421
They will definitely continue to improve. The midrange smoothens out quite a bit over time.
I really adore these headphones right now, and from all dynamics under 1k, I think they might very well be king. I definitely prefer them over the D7000 and the W1000x.
Quote:
Had my 2900s for about a week now.. They do benefit a lot from burn in, more than I noticed with my Denon DX000 line.. But having also owned the Pro 900s at some point I do agree that the 2900 has a character all its own but at the same time when listening to certain tracks (electronic - like someone else mentioned) it does remind me of the Pro 900, though the 2900s are still much better in my opinion.

I have about 50 hours on mine so far, the soundstage improved quite a bit, but I feel like by D7000s are more musical than the 2900s, compared to the denons the ultraones don't sound dark or warm at all, they sound pretty cold (I can see how they sound warm when compared to the pro 900 though..). Hopefully the musicality will develop more with burn in, from my understanding Ultrasone is one of those headphone brands than really develop their sound with burning in (crossing fingers)..

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #74 of 421

Quote:
How are you defining "musical"? In the way you bob your head and get immersed?

As I mentioned before, if the sound can "improve", then I would consider it a bonus. Of course you always hope for improvement from brand new :)

There is a metallic sound to them in the midrange, its much less apparent than the pro 900s. I have a suitable amp/dac and only listen to 320 kb -> Flac so my source isn't the problem. The denons midrange has always been smooth and warm (yet not dark). I notice the 2900s are missing this. Though, to admit, I didn't buy these to replace my D7000s, just compliment them, as they are open and have better soundstage (I think these will be used more for movies and games, and as my traveling phones, while the denons will be reserved for music at home..).

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #75 of 421
To someone with my taste in music having a "smooth" or "warm" warn sound is bad. I like a somewhat cold, aggressive, but not harsh sound.

These are pretty neutral headphones, some times I find them too warm, but then the next song comes on and they are cold. They are quite faithful to the recording being played. I don't mean this in a bad way though, I'll be enjoying one song, and think "oh man, this sound isn't going to go over well with the next song" then the song comes on and its like I'm listening to a whole nother pair of headphones made just for that song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back