Ultrasone Pro 2500 vs. Pro 2900
Jan 2, 2012 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus

The beginning of this thread was transferred from a post originally put up on the Pro 2900 Appreciation thread.

Just out of the box:
The UPS man delivered the PRO 2900 moments ago, and I just gave them a quick listen: stock headphone cord, my old, RAM-modded Samsung DVD-HD841, Virtue Audio Nirvana interconnects, Linn Intek integrated, ieGO power cord, tweaked with DakiOm, ebony footers and damping blocks, Marigo Signature CD Mat.  Music: Cal Tjader: "Roots of Acid Jazz"/Verve.

The Linn, with its rather "grey" and homogeneous signature, is certainly no paragon of exlposive dynamics or bass ummph to begin with.  The bass sounds diffuse and reticent (at zero hour).  The presentation has an overall "liquidy"/refined character in the mids, though (ala the Intek) and sounds--I am relying on memory now in the absence of the PRO 2500 (it's at my other residence, remember)--perhaps more coherent than the PRO 2500.  But still "green", lacking bloom.  

That said, what I have heard already sounds promising and I do like it.  : )  Tjader's vibe slaps on "Manteca" sound well-rounded and "complete", with nice texture and lively tone.  

. . . to be continued . . . 

An hour or two later.  "Tokyo Blues" comes through with both excellent resolution and spatial ordering of the soundstage.  The drum rhythms--struck with sticks or hands--carry with precision and fine articulation.  Can't wait to hear these with the EVS-modded SONY S780! 

A day or two later:
The Pro 2900 are showing more "shimmer" and "tingle" in the cymbal strikes, as well as a more syrupy quality in the mids.  Yesterday cymbals seemed a bit thinner and less well-resolved.  Bass is still peering out from behind the kitchen door.  

Did the headphones, or my ears, effect the "break in" qualities?  Who knows?

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 60
Had to drive to my apartment to retrieve the Pro 2500.  I left my "reference" gear there, and will audition the Pros on my utility gear at home.  Aside from the HD-841 and Linn Intek upstairs, the Denon 1940CI and AVR-1905 are downstairs.  

Even though I have a ZXAC upgraded cable, I will restrict at least the first few posts to the stock cables when making initial comparisons.

The Pro 2900 have been "cooking" now for about 90 hours, with music from either the 1940CI or FM from the AVR 1905.  I will wait until the 2900 have crossed the magic 100-hour mark, although in my past experience, 300 hours always seemed more telling of an Ultrasone.

I have some preliminary notes from last night (about an hour or so of initial a/b-ing), but will have to wait until company leaves before launching into the meat of the post.

Later . . .

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 60
Good to know, wait for more :)

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 60
Notes from two evenings ago:
The Pro 2900 have accrued about 60-65 hours of break-in time, I've snuck downstairs with my wife asleep upstairs.  The Pro 2900 are running through the Denon 1940CI and AVR 1905 combination.  The DakiOm F203 (original series) feedback stabilizer acts as the interface between the AVR 1905 headphone out and the stock Pro 2900 "straight" cable or the Pro 2500 semi-coiled cable.

The Pro 2500 measure in a tad under 35 ohms, the Pro 2900 at a tad under 40.

Bob James and Earl Klugh's "Cool" is playing.  These tracks are bass heavy, perhaps one could say bass overlaiden, with regularly violent drum hits.  My first notes acknowledge that the Pro 2500 sound abit more raw--hey, I like raw!--and rendered, but can sound a trfile over-driven in the high frequencies and a touch glary, or less-than-satisfactorily resolved, when treble arrives in force and en masse (from crescendoing cymbals, guitar and snare).   

The Pro 2900 sound quicker, more to the point--literally.  Localization of elements in space seems more easily recognizable.  Bass definitely sounds "bigger": warmer and more present.  I am asking myself: "do they resolve [detail, bass] better than the Pro 2500"?  The 2900 also, at the outset, sound more tonally piqued and defined than the 2500.  The sound treads nimbly, on cat's paws, along the dynamic tightrope with Klugh's deft, fingertips lightly dragging guitar plucks to one side and that formidable whacking on the snare and bullish bass to the other (re: track 8: "Handara").

I'm sure that a measure of "placebo" and "novelty" effect have lent to my initial favor for the Pro 2900.  The one thing that I leave the room with has to do with the pinpoint imaging of the 2900 that seems to walk the fine line between anchoring individual elements in space and perhaps losing the synergy, interplay and overlap of those same elements in the process.  That "pointedness" to the Pro 2900 may be a passing artifact of "burn-in" (or psycho-acoustic tomfoolery--call it what you will), or it could become a defining--and to me, at least for now, disturbing--sonic trait.  

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 60
100+ hours later:

We're back to the RAM-modded Samsung HD-841 and the Linn Intek.  It's Tuesday.  

(Head-Fier's Sordid Still Life)​

The Pro 2900 lie alongside the Pro 2500 in a ghastly tangle of stock cable.  Aside from the 2900's black motif (cable included), the former's earpads are plumper and plusher.  The black is more chic, I think--although sometimes I prefer the notoriety of blue and gray.  The DakiOm F203 lies nestled between the Ultrasones, with my (deflated) wallet in the distorted foreground.

I am going to flip a coin.  Heads and I grab the Pro 2500 first to order the listening segments.

The Notorious Byrd Brothers/Columbia Legacy (SBM), 1967/1997
TAILS--I grab the Pro 2900.

The opening track, "Artificial Energy" delivers stabbing treble with its shrill, electronically filtered trumpets.  Neither SBM recording nor the Pro 2900 relieve listener discomfort.  The Pro 2900 certainly does not mask, or make anymore agreeable, this fact of the recording. 

"Draft Morning" is very well sorted out and orderly.  The rolling bass is well-defined, with warmth and a nicely textured "peel".  The mid-bass seems a little more pronounced with the Pro 2900 (this hypothesis will be tested shortly).  

Hazarding an early, thematic judgment, I've already said to myself: "the Pro 2900 sound lightly sauteed and delicately seasoned, while the Pro 2500 sound raw, right off the bone".

One of my favorite tracks, "Tribal Gathering".  Great bass support and warmth, easy to follow.  Vocals have that etched sibilance, which has found its place in the context of this recording and, correspondingly, in my adaptation to and appreciation of it.

Now, it's the Pro 2500's turn. A more stark and utilitarian feel to these headphones.  The sound is definitely more forward (which I happen to like), and to me more immersive.  The Pro 2900's presentation of Tribal Gathering seems distant now by comparison.  The music seems more "cut open", rendered and visceral with the Pro 2500.  While perhaps offering less points of spatial distinction, I would say at this juncture that the 2500, in absolute terms, sound more detail-resolving than the 2900.  But I will be quick to note that the Pro 2500 do not convey the sort of well-sculpted bass presence of the 2900, either.  While perhaps just as extended in the lower registers as the 2900, the bass lines do not seem as fleet or as finely chiseled with the 2500. 

(I want to be careful, though, since, in my estimation, the Pro 2900 are barely a third of their way to definitively settling down.  As I said before, 300 hours [in my subjective experience with the Proline/Pro 750 and Proline/Pro 2500] is probably warranted).  

JVC World Class Music Sampler/Victor Musical Industries,1988
TAILS--Pro 2900 are the first up, again.

I went straight to track 5: Gary Burton's "Fat Lady".  Nimble, colorful and--here's an adjective not normally associated with Ultrasone (at least not for me)--"fun"!  The apparent edge that the Pro 2900 seem to evidence with their speed makes this composition--admittedly spry and game in its own right--even more engaging.  The Pro 2900 manifest a delicacy, too, that is not as much in the 2500's domain.  Maybe it's not so much perceived speed as it is a timeliness, a spot-on-queue quality to the Pro 2900 that further distinguishes them from their elder, open-back sibling.  That delicacy, that gossamer taut touch is a delight with Burton's follow-up solo track, "Crystal Silence".  Quick, deft, tonally sophisticated; the Pro 2900 seem to give me everything that Burton intended, conveying an almost magical quality.

Masahiro Sayama's "Quarter Cooker" arrives with low, plodding bass plucks, quietly joined in succession with small cymbal splashes, quiet woodblock hits, a piano frisk and then kick drum.  Everything is--again--very well sorted out, both dynamically and tonally.  These headphones have such a welcome, fresh and vivid pulse about them(!).  The second block of Quarter Cooker goes uptempo, with the 2900 wonderfully conveying the urgency.  The kick drum and electric bass sound extended, clean and easily discernible from one another.  Cymbals arrive with a lively tingle.   

The Pro 2500 sound richer, thicker and "darker" than the 2900 on Burton's Fat Lady.  Perhaps more textured and gutty in the midrange, as well; more introspective compared to the 2900's more extroverted way of connecting with the listener.  The mallet strikes on Crystal Silence sound more flat and more "fat" on the key.  There's also more of a sense of hearing "all the way through" the mechanical stickiness, pedal springiness and friction of the act of playing the instrument, on top of the music itself.  In this respect, I would have to posit that the Pro 2500 are more "analytical" but in a way that--for me, anyway--adds something to rather than takes something from the overall listening experience.  (On an autobiographical note, I've always shown an affinity for headphones dubbed "neutral", like the AKG K501 or K701, the Beyerdynamic DT880 and the prior Ultrasone Proline/Pro series.)

Quarter Cooker is equally enjoyable with the Pro 2500, but for different reasons: for the 2500's deliberateness of delivery, not so much for the 2900's speed; for being drawn into the performance by the 2500, not so much for being swept away by the 2900   And the treble, when pushed, while perhaps not rendered with the palatability of the 2900, still holds its ground with an unapologetic--and appreciable--honesty through the Pro 2500.

So, where am I left at this transitory beginning of the review?  Do I actually prefer one of these headphones to the other?  No.  At this point, I find each model equally enjoyable, but for fundamentally different reasons, with those "fundaments", respectively, describing different design or listening approaches from Ultrasone.  If this first round of listening has opened my ears to enjoy what is new and exciting in the sound of the Pro 2900, it has also further deepened my appreciation for what was already there in the Pro 2500.   

More to come . . . 

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 60
Its not the Pro2900 stock cable in your photo ?

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 60
I hadn't recognized the Neutrik plug.

Jan 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 60

Quote:
The product description touts a Neutrik plug, but the cable that came with my 2900 isn't marked "Neutrik".

Its not normal. Pro900 and pro2900 have a Metal Neutrik 6.3 plug, its marked on the plug.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 60
Mine is not marked.  I'll check the coiled cable as well.  But it might be moot anyway, since I intend to swap in the ZXAC Nucleotide UP-OCC cable quite soon.  I will, however, ask the seller why I am apparently without.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 60
Interesting exercise, Patrick. And one I've been curious about. Kudos.

I've never heard the 2900's (nor the 900's), but have always suspected that they are not much (if at all) different than their much less expensive predecessors (2500/750's). What you've described so far could easily be attributed to headphone age/burn-in time, earpad thickness, minor internal dampening tweaks, or even unit variances of the same model. Wonder if you've tried simply putting the 2900 pads on the 2500?

Given that their construction is just about identical, as are their drivers, I fail to see how Ultrasone could justify a doubling of their price relative to the old models.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 60

Quote:
Mine is not marked.  I'll check the coiled cable as well.  But it might be moot anyway, since I intend to swap in the ZXAC Nucleotide UP-OCC cable quite soon.  I will, however, ask the seller why I am apparently without.

Anyway its not a big problem. The coiled cable has a metal neutrik 6.3 plug, the straight has a plastic 3.5 plug.

In any case, thx for your review between the old and the new version.

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #15 of 60
Thanks for taking the time to post this in a dedicated thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back