ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Mar 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #571 of 2,431

Quote:
The SigPro still carries on some of Ultrasone's house sound signature, thus maybe the 'spiky' female voicing. Its due to the fact that Ultrasone cans are tuned a little edgy and with a slightly metallic tinge to things.

Best guilty pleasure cans might still be D7k but overall, and from a technical standpoint or just for sound purity, SigPro is king atm.

It's probably the S-Logic metal baffle inside it designed to protect from RFI or something.  Maybe can be modded away with some dynamat to stop the S-Logic baffle resonating?

Mar 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #572 of 2,431
I really want to try these headphones now... I never thought I'd be curious to try a pair of Ultrasones... but I guess this thread kind of hyped me up. I don't know where I can try the sig pros... kinda sucks because apparently the hifi shop I work at was the only place in my city to carry Ultrasone but quickly stopped because it was a massive failure for them.

Here's hoping this is not FOTM material!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 19, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #573 of 2,431

Quote:
I really want to try these headphones now... I never thought I'd be curious to try a pair of Ultrasones... but I guess this thread kind of hyped me up. I don't know where I can try the sig pros... kinda sucks because apparently the hifi shop I work at was the only place in my city to carry Ultrasone but quickly stopped because it was a massive failure for them.

Here's hoping this is not FOTM material!

what is FOTM?

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #575 of 2,431

Quote:
so you've ordered the new signature pro?
I'm looking forward for your impression :)
btw what cable do you use for your D7000?is it jena audio?

Yes, just waiting on paypal info to complete the sale. I've decided I want them.
I did the work/modding on my d7000's. 8 wire DHC occ copper cable - balanced. Dynamat on rear of driver only. Big J$ pads. They were a completely different phone before the modding, so I can see how people prefer the editions to the D7000. However after the mods - especially the pads - they are far better. Much bigger, more open soundstage, deep, tight bass with no spikes anywhere & certainly no sibilance people talk of (& i'm sensitive to harsh highs). 
So I hope I prefer the sig pro's but I am doubtful after the ed9's couldn't hold up against them. We'll see, I'm sure it will still be an awesome can regardless of my preference.

Quote:
which zodiac are you using? the black/silver/gold one?

I owned the black Zodiac+. It's sold and now I have full flagship balanced Audio-Gd Ref 7.1 DAC (8x1704u-k) & Master 5 HP/PRE & LD MK6+ for tube action. I never looked back. A lot more for the money over zodiac+. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #576 of 2,431
The Ed9's are now a significantly older driver technology.

I have not heard them but one hopes that we move forward with technology, and not backwards.

I mean, I love the R10s and the Qualias and the Orpheus and all, but as much as they're kings of the past, they're now more of a romantic acquisition IMHO. Sure, they still sound excellent and hauntingly good, but against the HD800s, the SR009s and the LCD-3s, they fall short technically. Yet they've got 'soul' and 'romance' that carries through, sometimes more so than the more current products. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #577 of 2,431

Quote:

I have not heard them but one hopes that we move forward with technology, and not backwards.

I mean, I love the R10s and the Qualias and the Orpheus and all, but as much as they're kings of the past, they're now more of a romantic acquisition IMHO. Sure, they still sound excellent and hauntingly good, but against the HD800s, the SR009s and the LCD-3s, they fall short technically. Yet they've got 'soul' and 'romance' that carries through, sometimes more so than the more current products. 

They upgraded the ed 9 driver. They tweaked it a bit. It's not the exactly the same driver in some sense

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #578 of 2,431

Quote:
Yes, just waiting on paypal info to complete the sale. I've decided I want them.
I did the work/modding on my d7000's. 8 wire DHC occ copper cable - balanced. Dynamat on rear of driver only. Big J$ pads. They were a completely different phone before the modding, so I can see how people prefer the editions to the D7000. However after the mods - especially the pads - they are far better. Much bigger, more open soundstage, deep, tight bass with no spikes anywhere & certainly no sibilance people talk of (& i'm sensitive to harsh highs). 
So I hope I prefer the sig pro's but I am doubtful after the ed9's couldn't hold up against them. We'll see, I'm sure it will still be an awesome can regardless of my preference.

I owned the black Zodiac+. It's sold and now I have full flagship balanced Audio-Gd Ref 7.1 DAC (8x1704u-k) & Master 5 HP/PRE & LD MK6+ for tube action. I never looked back. A lot more for the money over zodiac+. 

wow you've done a lot modding on your d7000
I also did a lot of modding on my NAD and it was very fun
and I'll wait for your comparison between signature pro and d7000 and maybe if you can add d5000 because yesterday I managed to try it
one of my local forum member ordered it from USA
too bad he didn't order the D7000 :p

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #579 of 2,431

Quote:

I've just had a time with the zodiac(s) a few days ago, sound came out from the signature pro with the black one is IMO quite good
I haven't heard of any Audio-Gd stuff, but knowing here a lot of head-fiers like this very much, maybe I'll try one out sooner or later

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #580 of 2,431

Quote:

Personally, I wouldn't call the Qualia a purely "romantic" acquisition. I feel it still outclasses many flagships in certain respects.

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #581 of 2,431

Quote:
This is actually Ultrasone's best product of late. It previously was the Pro 2900 but this is the new king.

Heh, also just have to add I personally hate the PRO 2900, but I definitely agree that the Signature Pro is Ultrasone's best effort to date.

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #583 of 2,431
IMO, Edition9 (the one I've heard is with no serial, I dunno how would other performs) and signature pro,
are the 2 best offerings and the 2 I like most

Me and some friends tried to have some comparison with these 2 HP some time ago, it's easy to spot out their difference,
which is better is according to their/our preference.

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #584 of 2,431
I got my Signature Pro today and i would also agree that it's Ultrasones best effort yet. Just hope the upper-mids/treble will open up with burn in, otherwise i'm not 100% set on it like i am on the SRH-1840 (which needs a closed companion) :D

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #585 of 2,431
So, ED9 and sig pro are at the same level just with different flavor? Soundwise, are these significantly better than ED8?

Quote:
IMO, Edition9 (the one I've heard is with no serial, I dunno how would other performs) and signature pro,
are the 2 best offerings and the 2 I like most

Me and some friends tried to have some comparison with these 2 HP some time ago, it's easy to spot out their difference,
which is better is according to their/our preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back