ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Mar 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #466 of 2,431

Quote:

if you want something "cleaner", maybe something like a harmony ear 90?  there's a place you can try that out too.

ok, and I know where to try it, will try it out when I've time

Quote:
I would suggest to anyone thinking about a Rudistor amp to do a search on head-fi and read some of the things about their build quality. I'd stay far, far away personally.

um...let me have a search first

I feel like the WA6SE is more neutral than the WA6 (having owned both).. just a thought.

oh, is that so
what a pity that there's no demo in Hong Kong, so I cannot have a try- -

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #467 of 2,431
I posted mine for sale. I just couldn't persuade myself to spend this much on a headphone.

However, I just jizzed my pants while listening to Bueno Clinic - Sex Appeal....................

I still don't know if I should sell it or not. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #468 of 2,431
I posted mine for sale. I just couldn't persuade myself to spend this much on a headphone.

However, I just jizzed my pants while listening to Bueno Clinic - Sex Appeal....................

I still don't know if I should sell it or not. 

the signature pro performs well on rock n electronic music
after perchasing this HP, I found myself growing more interest on these genre
how much time have u spent on this HP

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #469 of 2,431
People are mentioning how well this HP does unamped... would it be worth selling my current setup (Westone 4 IEMs, Gamma Lite DAC, and M^3 desktop amp) to help afford buying this, and just use it straight from the computer's audio out?  Or should I just keep saving up to eventually buy this with my current DAC and amp?  I exclusively listen at work from my computer.  Thanks.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #470 of 2,431

Quote:
People are mentioning how well this HP does unamped... would it be worth selling my current setup (Westone 4 IEMs, Gamma Lite DAC, and M^3 desktop amp) to help afford buying this, and just use it straight from the computer's audio out?  Or should I just keep saving up to eventually buy this with my current DAC and amp?  I exclusively listen at work from my computer.  Thanks.

No don't sell your equipment, while the Sig Pro sounds great un-amped, they scale really well when amped too.. so its worthwhile to have a good setup to complement them.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #471 of 2,431
For clean sound & good extension amp, try M1HPA @ $799, Plenty of power that could drive most headphone very well..Works fantastic with most of my headphone except IEM Shure SE 535 and 500.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #472 of 2,431
I don't know how people can take this headphone seriously... it looks soo, errm, cheap. That headband is really not convincing. No matter how good it sounds, I just can't imagine paying over 500$ on something like this.

But people buy it regardless; that's head-fi for ya! 
gs1000.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #473 of 2,431

Quote:
I don't know how people can take this headphone seriously... it looks soo, errm, cheap. That headband is really not convincing. No matter how good it sounds, I just can't imagine paying over 500$ on something like this.

gs1000.gif

I think the Sig Pro feels more expensive than the HE6 which retails for about the same... and with all the rave around the T1s they would never be able to handle proratable use like these can while delivering equally amazing sound. But, to each his own. Something you begin to realize once you get to the $600+ headphones they never look like what they cost, that includes the Sig Pros, the T1s, the HE6, and the LCD2s. The only headphone I still get "wows" from people is the D7000s but while they look expensive they definitely won't stand the test of time like I think the Ultrasones will.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #474 of 2,431
Haha, I like the looks, esp. since I'll mostly be using it at work and want something discreet looking.  My criteria is: sounds as good as it can at the price, doesn't leak sound outwards too badly, is comfy for all day wearing, and isn't an instant theft hazard.  Don't get me wrong, I want my HP's to look good, but it sounds like you and I have different criteria for "good".

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it's really the only HP I'm considering atm.  I had some D7000's, and people commented that it looked like I was wearing sofa cushions on my ears.  The Pro 900s are on the ugly side of functional, but these look like they've got it about right.

Quote:

gs1000.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #475 of 2,431

Quote:
Haha, I like the looks, esp. since I'll mostly be using it at work and want something discreet looking.  My criteria is: sounds as good as it can at the price, doesn't leak sound outwards too badly, is comfy for all day wearing, and isn't an instant theft hazard.  Don't get me wrong, I want my HP's to look good, but it sounds like you and I have different criteria for "good".

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it's really the only HP I'm considering atm.  I had some D7000's, and people commented that it looked like I was wearing sofa cushions on my ears.  The Pro 900s are on the ugly side of functional, but these look like they've got it about right.

It's funny you say that because I find the Signature Pro not appealing at all, while enjoying the looks of the Pro 900s far more. I personally find the Shure SRH840 to be a much better example of functional yet ugly, or Grados in general, for that matter.

Some time ago there was a rather interesting discussion between D7000s and Pro 900s when it comes to craftsmanship and build quality, two very different concepts. While D7000s do have the whole luxury things going for them, they surely lack build quality, especially when compared to the Pro 900s that don't use noble materials in its construction but are very solidly built, and the whole argument of plastic being used isn't indicative of build quality due to high quality plastics having nothing in common with plastics found on budget products.

Mar 6, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #476 of 2,431
IMO, wearing ED8 is surely an instant theft hazard
while I feel comfort in wearing my S pro out

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #478 of 2,431
The plastics used in the Signature Pro do not feel cheep in person. The headphones have a nice heft to them, and the quality of the leather is some of the highest in the industry.

I find the comments about the "cheep build" a bit ironic. Ultrasone purposefully designed this headphone to be rugged in response to complaints about the Edition series being too flashy and not durable-feeling enough. Ultrasone faced a fair amount of criticism from head-fiers for their emphasis on aesthetics. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I 'spose.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #479 of 2,431
Let's not forget that the $1000 D7000 has wood cups that are basically candy shells and a cable that's prone to twisting like mad, or that the $1000 LCD-2 has had adjustment block and wood-cracking issues, or that the $1400 HD800's finish can be ruined by leaving it on a hot laptop, or that Grado uses materials found on their <$100 headphones on their $1800 flagship headphones.

Honestly, if you can't take the Signature Pro's build seriously after actually seeing one in person, I don't see how you could take any of those other headphones seriously either.

Now I love all those headphones I mentioned, but it's nice to have headphones that feel like they're going to last, and in terms of "staying power," few inspire as much confidence as the build on the Signature Pro.

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #480 of 2,431

Quote:
Let's not forget that the $1000 D7000 has wood cups that are basically candy shells and a cable that's prone to twisting like mad, or that the $1000 LCD-2 has had adjustment block and wood-cracking issues, or that the $1400 HD800's finish can be ruined by leaving it on a hot laptop, or that Grado uses materials found on their <$100 headphones on their $1800 flagship headphones.

Honestly, if you can't take the Signature Pro's build seriously after actually seeing one in person, I don't see how you could take any of those other headphones seriously either.

Now I love all those headphones I mentioned, but it's nice to have headphones that feel like they're going to last, and in terms of "staying power," few inspire as much confidence as the build on the Signature Pro.

WHile the wood cups on the d7000 are shell like I'm pretty sure they did that on purpose to create/ diminish some sort of resonance.. But I def agree with you about the signature pros awesome build with great materials. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back