ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
May 28, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #2,042 of 2,431
  are the new ultrasone headphones uses cable with screws like the old ones?

No; the Sig Pro has a plug with a push and twist fit. It is comparable to (but not quite the same as) the plug for the Sennheiser HD598/HD558/HD518. Using a cable for the latter works with the Sig Pro, but it does not click into place. It stays in place, but it is not as secure as the original Sig Pro cable.

The old Ultrasone screw-in cable was a simple/standard 3.5mm plug with a thread in the casing. The new Sig Pro etc cable has a 2.5mm plug.

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #2,043 of 2,431
  My thoughts on the DX90 vs X5 for the Sig Pro continues to evolve as my mind/gears get more and more burned in. I'll try to put something together for you very soon. I was going to do a contest between them soon anyway, so I'll try to take down some notes and share on this thread. They are both great with the Sig Pro, but a little different of course. I'll let you know!

Hey M13,

I would love to get your impression here.  I am planning to pick up either a DX90 or X5 very soon to use exclusively with my Signature Pro's.  Can you tell me your opinion of using both of these DAPs via the HO (without a portable amp) and the Sig Pro?  Thanks.

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #2,044 of 2,431

Hey M13,

I would love to get your impression here.  I am planning to pick up either a DX90 or X5 very soon to use exclusively with my Signature Pro's.  Can you tell me your opinion of using both of these DAPs via the HO (without a portable amp) and the Sig Pro?  Thanks.

I was also thinking of getting a X5 to replace my current set up (ipod nano & headstage arrow). Would greatly appreciate any info on the X5 - Sig pro pairing. Was also thinking of splashing out on the Oyaide cable as the original cable it came with is starting to act a bit finicky, with constant adjusting needed to get a clean signal. From previous posts it sounds like sig pro owners rate the oyaide more than the stock.

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #2,045 of 2,431
Was also thinking of splashing out on the Oyaide cable as the original cable it came with is starting to act a bit finicky, with constant adjusting needed to get a clean signal. From previous posts it sounds like sig pro owners rate the oyaide more than the stock.

Just to get a different opinion here, I do not like the Oyaide HPC-35HD598 cable.  The Senn HD598 plug is a little different, so the Oyaide does not lock in place into the Sig Pro.  That end also has a metal cover that comes down a little further than the OEM cable and the cable is very stiff.  It is slightly shorter (which I like and wish it was even shorter), but the stiffness makes it a pain to use on the go.  I know some people have said it softens up after use, so maybe it gets better, but again, I like the OEM cable for portable use for the reasons I stated and the fact that it has an right angle 3.5mm plug where the Oyaide has a straight 3.5mm plug.  There are also other replacement HD598 cables out there (Fiio, Sennheiser, etc.) that may be worth trying.  Just make sure it has the screw-in notch.  Checking with owners of the HD598 could be a good idea as I am also interested in one that is less than 1 meter in length (everything I see is 1.3m - 1.2m)

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #2,047 of 2,431
Hey guys. Sorry about the late response. It's been crazy at work.

Anyways. I'm definitely going to recommend the DX90 over the X5 for Sig Pro owners. Why?

-X5 makes the Sig Pro sound too bassy/dark/veiled compared to the DX90. Overall sounds a little fuzzy/muffled, while the DX90 sounds more detailed/clear/seperated/focused.

-X5 while suppressing the upper-mids also has the Sig Pro sounding a bit sibilant at the same time. Crazy, I know but that's what I hear.

In fact, the X5 pairs very well with the Focal Spirit Pro/K812/IE800, but seems to pair the worst with the Sig Pro.

Sorry it took me so long to come to these conclusions. I don't find the combo very enjoyeable right now. However I do find the FSP + X5 combo or X5 + IE800 combo very nice. For the Sig Pro it's gotta be the DX90 right now. I also prefer the K812 out of the DX90 as well, but the K812 does sound more than acceptable out of the X5 as well. It just happens to pair better with the DX90. For the FSP + IE800, it's sort of a toss up as the X5 does some things better while the DX90 does other things better.

The X5 does soud more dynamic/punchy compared to the DX90, but it's just a by a little, while the bass sounds much more loose/out of control.

So yes, my Sig Pro brothers go get the DX90 instead of the X5.
beerchug.gif

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #2,048 of 2,431
  Hey guys. Sorry about the late response. It's been crazy at work.

Anyways. I'm definitely going to recommend the DX90 over the X5 for Sig Pro owners. Why?

-X5 makes the Sig Pro sound too bassy/dark/veiled compared to the DX90. Overall sounds a little fuzzy/muffled, while the DX90 sounds more detailed/clear/seperated/focused.

-X5 while suppressing the upper-mids also has the Sig Pro sounding a bit sibilant at the same time. Crazy, I know but that's what I hear.

In fact, the X5 pairs very well with the Focal Spirit Pro/K812/IE800, but seems to pair the worst with the Sig Pro.

Sorry it took me so long to come to these conclusions. I don't find the combo very enjoyeable right now. However I do find the FSP + X5 combo or X5 + IE800 combo very nice. For the Sig Pro it's gotta be the DX90 right now. I also prefer the K812 out of the DX90 as well, but the K812 does sound more than acceptable out of the X5 as well. It just happens to pair better with the DX90. For the FSP + IE800, it's sort of a toss up as the X5 does some things better while the DX90 does other things better.

The X5 does soud more dynamic/punchy compared to the DX90, but it's just a by a little, while the bass sounds much more loose/out of control.

So yes, my Sig Pro brothers go get the DX90 instead of the X5.
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the info!  I just ordered the DX90.  I assume I will have it this week.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #2,049 of 2,431
A bit late to the game... but after long consideration my Sig Pro arrived today. I ordered the remote cable that comes with the Sig DJ as I plan to use it on the go (not yet decided if its OK to wear on the streets though).

Nice first impression straight out of my iPhone, which will often be the source of choice given the intended usage. In comparison to the M-100 I use most of the time when going out the Sig Pro has less midbass (a good thing to my ears), a clearer midrange, more space and details are easier to spot with still a very nice deep bass. Lets see how it holds up this evening on a plane...

Build quality seems very nice, wearing around the neck is... not optimal. Otherwise comfort is very good. Quite massive compared to the M-100...
S/N is 1903... would have expected something much higher.

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #2,050 of 2,431
Newbie of sigpro reporting..

I seriously doubt if sigpro does require very long break-ins, say 300 hrs. The sound of my sigpro seems to be stablised after 50 hrs of run-in by play pink/white noise with a Clip+ at -10db.

My Sigpro were 1) very bright and harsh with violins and harpsichords 2) hollow sounding and 3) recessed in mid when they came new, now none of these traits exist and they are generally as bright as my HD600. Good.

Overall Sigpro are superior headphones than my HD600 and B&W P7 however I found Sigpro sound too thick and even a bit veiled comparing with my P7 when playing some string quartets, and the sound stage is smaller than HD600. Generally there is no wow-effect from HD600 to Sigpro. The situation is quite similar to that when I compared my new-acquired T5p with my old SR125i and GMP435S, and that when I compared MD2 with my old HD600. 

And yes.. I bought them for the classicals.. I prefer them to my old T5p though there is no head to head comparison.

I guess I will need proper desktop sources and amps to push them to the limits to notice a huge difference, but current I don't have the zeal, or money/space.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #2,052 of 2,431
Well, I've gone back to the stock cable. I used these mainly portable and the cable upgrade is too stiff and the attachment too long. In addition it has bad micro phonics. Think that's what you call it. When cable twists and hits itself it is pretty loud. I found myself grabbing other phones instead because of these reasons. So back to the stock, at least when going out.

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #2,053 of 2,431
  Well, I've gone back to the stock cable. I used these mainly portable and the cable upgrade is too stiff and the attachment too long. In addition it has bad micro phonics. Think that's what you call it. When cable twists and hits itself it is pretty loud. I found myself grabbing other phones instead because of these reasons. So back to the stock, at least when going out.

I do that sometimes myself when on the move. I'm thinking about getting some other ebay cables for this purpose, ones that fit the hd598. 

It's been over a year now and the sig pro has never let me down SQ wise. My favourite closed back, especially with the oyaide cable.  
A thing peculiar about this headphone and down to (i think!) the way the ethiopian sheepskin leather works  - it becomes increasingly more comfortable during the course of a long listening session. It feels like Something to do with way it reacts to heat/sweat, becoming more supple soft and sticky. T5p's leather or lawton pads don't have that characterisitc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back