Ultrasone IQ
Jul 9, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #91 of 163
Quote:
OK, I haven't written a review of these yet, but I will start formulating a comparison here, hard to know where to start so thanks for the question.

Width of sound stage 1plus2 vs IQ 9. The comparison is difficult to make as I find the IEM's do very different things. The IQ 9 I find can throw extremely wide, but to me now it is like it is throwing to a location that has a lot to do with time rather than distance of the instrument or sound. It is like the IQ 9 has a sound stage so wide that sometimes it almost throws to a point where it separates it from the music. It is a tiny bit out of control with it. I think that this is exciting in itself, and certainly makes up part of why instrument separation on the IQ 9 seems to be really clear also. The IQ 9's sound stage is very lateral I find, impressively so, but it is lateral. The 1plus2's are a completely different story.

The review or comment I most identify with at the moment about the 1plus2 is how amazingly similar it is to sitting in front of high end speakers. So I think frontal would most certainly be right. The Sound stage is not necessarily as wide as the IQ 9, it isn't as if the helicopter flies from ear to ear and Doppler effect off into the distance as it would on the IQ 9, it flies in the medial sense also.The1plus2's sound stage is as deep as it is wide, and this I think is partly what makes it so astonishing as an IEM.

The IQ 9 is wonderfully clinical, I like it, I like hearing the precision, I like the ultra wide sound stage, and the absolute instrument separation. It is a sound signature that I haven't heard before, and one that I enjoy. However the IQ 9's certainly present the music in its constituent parts very well, which is great, but it is different from the Tralucent 1plus2's. They present the music totally differently, they present it as an orchestra would to my ears, all genres seem to get converted into something else and it is all very very musical. Incredibly for an IEM it totally envelops you and it truly feels as if you are listening to some kind of massive surround sound system. That is what the sound stage is like to my ears on the Tralucent 1plus2's; a huge sound rig.

The IQ 9's seem to place sound spatially, the Tralucent 1plus2's seem to allow it to travel spatially. That is a huge difference to my ears. 

I have them in now and am listening as bass swells sound like they are coming from behind me on the ground and departing through the top of my skull on a horizontal plane. 

I absolutely agree with the reviewer that the 1plus2 is unique in sound staging, and I am glad I have the IQ 9, a hybrid also, for comparison. However I say that it is unique also, and impressive.

It is like the Tour De France...you know, a sprinter might be great, and really fast and great to watch...that's cool...and all of those things...

He is never going to win it though as he isn't suited for climbing mountains. Doesn't take away the stage wins and the excitement he brought to the race, but everyone wants the yellow jersey really, right?

More to come from me writing wise on these 1plus2's, a proper review, but I think it is about time I started to get some notes down, and being prompted with questions is always useful.

I cannot see a bass vent truckdriver. I work in noisy environments sometimes. I had them on at a low volume in the engine control room of a very large ship, admittedly it was the control room, but there is still a good rumble down there. Could still hear everything just as I could when at my desk.

Great "pre" review.  Looking forward to the proper one from you.  The 1plus2 sounds very interesting.
Thanks.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #92 of 163
Yes indeed, thanks Vespertine for the comparison and I too look forward to your in-depth views on the 1+2. I am interested (in a voyeuristic sense, if you will) because the 1+2 is considered one of (if not THE) best UIEM by experienced Headfiers.

I don't believe I can use the 1+2, however. On the first page of the 1+2 thread, you can clearly see the vent. It's also clearly marked in the diagram and talked about in the writing. It is the small round hole colored red and blue (apparently for right and left sides) on the outward facing outer shell. It almost blends in with the outer design but it is visible.

I don't have the best source equipment which is one (among several) reasons I don't attempt a review. I have a couple of DACs and a few portable headphone amps. When I had the IQ, I also had the Audioquest Dragonfly. I use the combo (with Foobar2000) to play Eric Clapton's Layla (the unplugged version). Then I played the same song with the S1/Arrow 4G/E5 Maven player combo and the difference was dramatic (particularly in soundstage). With the Dragonfly/IQ combo the sound was very nice but the soundstage was linear from ear to ear (and slightly beyond). With the S1/E5,   instruments and background singers were much larger/taller spread out at least 3 to 4 inches overhead. I felt like I could roll my eyes up to see the piano in the upper left corner while the bass-drum kicked in my throat area.

At the 2:07 time-mark in Layla, Eric Clapton is joined in singing “please don't say” by a woman in the far left upper corner of the soundstage. I went back to the Dragonfly/IQ and I could just barely hear it. On the S1/E5 it was quite obvious and drew my attention in that direction. It has me thinking that size is more important than precision (in making out detail).

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #93 of 163
Quote:
Yes indeed, thanks Vespertine for the comparison and I too look forward to your in-depth views on the 1+2. I am interested (in a voyeuristic sense, if you will) because the 1+2 is considered one of (if not THE) best UIEM by experienced Headfiers.

I don't believe I can use the 1+2, however. On the first page of the 1+2 thread, you can clearly see the vent. It's also clearly marked in the diagram and talked about in the writing. It is the small round hole colored red and blue (apparently for right and left sides) on the outward facing outer shell. It almost blends in with the outer design but it is visible.

I don't have the best source equipment which is one (among several) reasons I don't attempt a review. I have a couple of DACs and a few portable headphone amps. When I had the IQ, I also had the Audioquest Dragonfly. I use the combo (with Foobar2000) to play Eric Clapton's Layla (the unplugged version). Then I played the same song with the S1/Arrow 4G/E5 Maven player combo and the difference was dramatic (particularly in soundstage). With the Dragonfly/IQ combo the sound was very nice but the soundstage was linear from ear to ear (and slightly beyond). With the S1/E5,   instruments and background singers were much larger/taller spread out at least 3 to 4 inches overhead. I felt like I could roll my eyes up to see the piano in the upper left corner while the bass-drum kicked in my throat area.

At the 2:07 time-mark in Layla, Eric Clapton is joined in singing “please don't say” by a woman in the far left upper corner of the soundstage. I went back to the Dragonfly/IQ and I could just barely hear it. On the S1/E5 it was quite obvious and drew my attention in that direction. It has me thinking that size is more important than precision (in making out detail).

That's so embarrassing it is hilarious. I actually removed one when I finished writing that with the explicit purpose of inspecting every millimeter of it to look for ANY kind of hole that might be a bass vent with your requirements in mind, especially after "IQ9gate" 
wink_face.gif

There was me thinking that they were part of the aesthetic design, hidden in plain sight.

Thanks for the words of encouragement from yourself and heyyeh, I have started on the review.

I am, what, three weeks in now, and I am still at the "stunned" stage. Every time I uncoil the cable, plug it in and insert them I feel like an assassin snapping together his sniper rifle, getting ready for that big hit, one shot...one kill...

I could very well believe that these are the state of the art at the very least.

I was listening to some particularly intricate drum sequences today, and one part of the percussion was about 30 meters in front of me down and to the right, and that is where it remained as everything else did everything else.

This kind of ultra specific rendering or staging is almost strange to get used to when walking around. The size of corridor you are walking along isn't 30 meters long nor does is it have a lowered pit at end just to the right, but your brain is telling you very differently, aural illusion.

They are just sublime. Truly marvelous.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #94 of 163
Quote:
That's so embarrassing it is hilarious. I actually removed one when I finished writing that with the explicit purpose of inspecting every millimeter of it to look for ANY kind of hole that might be a bass vent with your requirements in mind, especially after "IQ9gate" 
wink_face.gif

There was me thinking that they were part of the aesthetic design, hidden in plain sight.

Thanks for the words of encouragement from yourself and heyyeh, I have started on the review.

I am, what, three weeks in now, and I am still at the "stunned" stage. Every time I uncoil the cable, plug it in and insert them I feel like an assassin snapping together his sniper rifle, getting ready for that big hit, one shot...one kill...

I could very well believe that these are the state of the art at the very least.

I was listening to some particularly intricate drum sequences today, and one part of the percussion was about 30 meters in front of me down and to the right, and that is where it remained as everything else did everything else.

This kind of ultra specific rendering or staging is almost strange to get used to when walking around. The size of corridor you are walking along isn't 30 meters long nor does is it have a lowered pit at end just to the right, but your brain is telling you very differently, aural illusion.

They are just sublime. Truly marvelous.

There's no reason to be embarrassed. It looked like (red) right (blue) left indicators. If it had DYNAMIC DRIVER VENT in flashing neon lights, then you would need to schedule an immediate appointment with an Optometrist.
blink.gif

It appears the 1+2 achieves virtual sound without the individual HRTF measurements and whatnot (used by the Smyth Realiser and mimicked by the Z app). Ultimately sound travels to the eardrum. Someone was bound to figure out how to compensate for what happens along the way to trick the brain about distances. Tyll Hertsen said the most difficult hurdle was frontal imagining.

Decades ago, I use to feel (getting into my car shortly after installing a 20 speaker/ two amp system) like you feel when you break out the 1+2. It was embarking upon a new adventure.

But, you know, the IQ was a good try for me after all. If not for the vent (causing me to up the volume in the truck beyond my comfort), I would have had a tough decision to make on whether to keep it or return it. That choice was not tough with the Westone W4.

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #95 of 163
Can anyone compare the IQ to some of the high end circumaural Ultrasones? 

I own the Signature DJ and they are my favorite headphone right now.  I am also a fan of the Signature PRO.  On the other end of the spectrum, I detest the PRO 900 due to the hot highs.

It is just too darn hot to keep wearing the Sig DJs outside and they have spoiled me sonically, so I am looking for IEMs that are comparable and that won't fall out of my ears.

As an aside, I listen portably through the V-Moda Verza which is a fantastic portable amp/DAC for lower impedance headphones like the Ultrasones.

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #96 of 163
Quote:
Can anyone compare the IQ to some of the high end circumaural Ultrasones? 

I own the Signature DJ and they are my favorite headphone right now.  I am also a fan of the Signature PRO.  On the other end of the spectrum, I detest the PRO 900 due to the hot highs.

It is just too darn hot to keep wearing the Sig DJs outside and they have spoiled me sonically, so I am looking for IEMs that are comparable and that won't fall out of my ears.

As an aside, I listen portably through the V-Moda Verza which is a fantastic portable amp/DAC for lower impedance headphones like the Ultrasones.

or maybe to the edition 8? the edition 8 was one of my all time favs if not my fav. Trying to decide between the asg-2, heir 5.0, or iq 

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #97 of 163
I own and love the Ultrasone Signature Pros... use them constantly, from simply listening to music, to mixing audio tracks on video productions, to monitoring sound levels when filming and audio recording in the field. The IQs, to me, are amazing. Love the sound - not giving up much when used in lieu of the big set. I'm too much of a newbie to comment critically, and I've learned this stuff is pretty subjective.  But I will say that, during the past month, I have had fleeting thoughts of selling the Signature Pros, keeping just the IQs, and putting the money towards the iRiver AK120. Good grief... my wife is going to freak out.

As for usage... much of my listening is either music or audio track production. I go optical out of my MacBook Pro, into a Headroom portable desktop DAC/Amp, and then plug the IQs into that. When walking or hiking, I use the IQs straight from my iPod.  The wire is similar to the Shure 535s - it is stiff and can be bent around the ear.  They have never loosened or fallen out.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the initial reviews of the IQ scared me.  From sound, to the square design, to... but in the end, I based my decision on my love of the Signature Pros. No regrets.

Good luck with your decision.

Jul 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #98 of 163
Quote:
I own and love the Ultrasone Signature Pros... use them constantly, from simply listening to music, to mixing audio tracks on video productions, to monitoring sound levels when filming and audio recording in the field. The IQs, to me, are amazing. Love the sound - not giving up much when used in lieu of the big set. I'm too much of a newbie to comment critically, and I've learned this stuff is pretty subjective.  But I will say that, during the past month, I have had fleeting thoughts of selling the Signature Pros, keeping just the IQs, and putting the money towards the iRiver AK120. Good grief... my wife is going to freak out.

As for usage... much of my listening is either music or audio track production. I go optical out of my MacBook Pro, into a Headroom portable desktop DAC/Amp, and then plug the IQs into that. When walking or hiking, I use the IQs straight from my iPod.  The wire is similar to the Shure 535s - it is stiff and can be bent around the ear.  They have never loosened or fallen out.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the initial reviews of the IQ scared me.  From sound, to the square design, to... but in the end, I based my decision on my love of the Signature Pros. No regrets.

Good luck with your decision.

Thank you. Could you provide a brief comparison of bass performance between the two?

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #99 of 163
I was interested in these but it just doesn't seem like anyone here on headfi is even whispering its existence. Maybe it's being brushed under the rug quietly for a reason but I'm still tempted to give them a try because I loved the ultrasone edition 8.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #100 of 163
Quote:
I was interested in these but it just doesn't seem like anyone here on headfi is even whispering its existence. Maybe it's being brushed under the rug quietly for a reason but I'm still tempted to give them a try because I loved the ultrasone edition 8.

Well, if you consider the commenters on this thread as "not being anyone", remember that Joker gave these a 9.4 for sound. The only universal IEMs that Joker ranked higher actually cost more than the IQ (the K3003 and TG!334). Of course, he ranked a number of customs higher.

I have no idea how the IQ compares to the Edition 8.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #101 of 163
Quote:
Well, if you consider the commenters on this thread as "not being anyone", remember that Joker gave these a 9.4 for sound. The only universal IEMs that Joker ranked higher actually cost more than the IQ (the K3003 and TG!334). Of course, he ranked a number of customs higher.

I have no idea how the IQ compares to the Edition 8.

I was interested in these but it just doesn't seem like anyone here on headfi is even whispering its existence anymore.

Corrected. There's not really any recent reviews or comparisons and I just don't see them being mentioned in general. I just got my ASG-2 today but the bass isn't quite what I wanted so I might be looking for a different pair soon =\

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #102 of 163
Quote:

I was interested in these but it just doesn't seem like anyone here on headfi is even whispering its existence anymore.

Corrected. There's not really any recent reviews or comparisons and I just don't see them being mentioned in general. I just got my ASG-2 today but the bass isn't quite what I wanted so I might be looking for a different pair soon =\

I think the IQ is oddly priced. I believe if it were in the 535/W4/SM64 price range, it would've received more praise (best in class even) due to being owned by more people  That's just my guess.

Gosh, you just got the ASG-2 and you're on the hunt for another IEM? What could possibly be wrong with the adjustable bass of the ASG-2?

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #103 of 163
At this price point, I plan to wait for the Shure SE846 to compare.  I would also be curious for a comparison to the JH16 and even the Unique Melody Merlin.  I thought I was okay with my B&W C5s when I need an IEM, but after owning the Sig DJ, they just sound like a muddy mess in comparison.  It will be a tall order to find an IEM with the sonic performance of the Sig DJ, but I am not in a rush.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #104 of 163
Quote:

I think the IQ is oddly priced. I believe if it were in the 535/W4/SM64 price range, it would've received more praise (best in class even) due to being owned by more people  That's just my guess.

Gosh, you just got the ASG-2 and you're on the hunt for another IEM? What could possibly be wrong with the adjustable bass of the ASG-2?

Something isn't right to my ears. I think it's the mid bass. I'm going to spend more time with it and on more sources before making a decision but that is where I stand at the moment. It's almost as if the mid bass is too thick and makes it feel too muddy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back