Ultrasone IQ
Apr 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #61 of 163
Quote:
Sorry for the potentially silly question, but what does V shaped signature mean?

A sound signature that focuses on the lows and highs.  In the specific case of the IQ, from memory, there is a substantial dip in the lower mids.  It's very detail oriented despite it though, but the detail retrieval felt forced when I reviewed them; artificial in a sense.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #62 of 163
Quote:

A sound signature that focuses on the lows and highs.  In the specific case of the IQ, from memory, there is a substantial dip in the lower mids.  It's very detail oriented despite it though, but the detail retrieval felt forced when I reviewed them; artificial in a sense.

Thank You, noted, although I am a Geophysicist and ply my trade with sound waves, I am having to unlearn a lot of what I know, or the jargon I would normally use and learn similar jargon that means similar things sometimes, but then others it really doesn't...

You explanation actually gives me a lot with regards to how experienced listeners such as yourself describe and I presume sometimes view sound signatures. 

I totally agree with you on the detail, it is almost super-detailed in the literal sense, perhaps that is what I meant by technical and not warm, I am certainly enjoying them for now, they do seem very different to the few IEM's that I have tried.

The quest continues!

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #63 of 163
I certainly find the “V” more “fun” when hearing deep sub-bass combined with the sparkle of cymbals. It reminds me of the rear-view mirror rattling car stereo days of the 1990s.

I'm a little troubled by tinyman's assessment of a lower mid drop off on the IQ. Perhaps it's the trade-off to achieve otherwise detailed mids.

If I ordered an IQ, an Heir 5.0, and an ASG-2 which would I get first? Without a doubt, it would be the IQ. So......

Apr 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #64 of 163
Quote:
I certainly find the “V” more “fun” when hearing deep sub-bass combined with the sparkle of cymbals. It reminds me of the rear-view mirror rattling car stereo days of the 1990s.

I'm a little troubled by tinyman's assessment of a lower mid drop off on the IQ. Perhaps it's the trade-off to achieve otherwise detailed mids.

If I ordered an IQ, an Heir 5.0, and an ASG-2 which would I get first? Without a doubt, it would be the IQ. So......

That fun is available certainly, and it is still just as fun as the car rattling, just a lot more controlled. Am playing these right now through the C4 with the EQ on Bass, and it is a lot of fun without being unrefined.

I don't hear a lower mid drop off, I hear a different headphone, something else. It is interesting that after reading tinyman's comments about forced I of course started listening with that in mind, classic example of one of the oldest philosophical quandaries ever, however I do totally see what he is saying about forced. There is a push there to the highs and mids that isn't there on the lower ranges. It does make them bright, however I find the 535's way too bright, and I don't find that push to be a negative really, It is almost as if everything is there ahead of time, which sounds a little wishy washy, but it makes them exciting for sure.

However I sometimes concentrate on the lower ranges to really try and find the detail there, and I can struggle sometimes.

I am in no way suggesting that this was the case with tinyman's experience, however I still find, although I am comfy sealed and firm for the most part, this does need improving though, if there is a tiny slip and the seal is not perfect then they become sibilance itself and very frustrating. 

Did I read somewhere that there is an outfit that will make custom molds for non custom IEM's?

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #65 of 163
Quote:
That fun is available certainly, and it is still just as fun as the car rattling, just a lot more controlled. Am playing these right now through the C4 with the EQ on Bass, and it is a lot of fun without being unrefined.

I don't hear a lower mid drop off, I hear a different headphone, something else. It is interesting that after reading tinyman's comments about forced I of course started listening with that in mind, classic example of one of the oldest philosophical quandaries ever, however I do totally see what he is saying about forced. There is a push there to the highs and mids that isn't there on the lower ranges. It does make them bright, however I find the 535's way too bright, and I don't find that push to be a negative really, It is almost as if everything is there ahead of time, which sounds a little wishy washy, but it makes them exciting for sure.

However I sometimes concentrate on the lower ranges to really try and find the detail there, and I can struggle sometimes.

I am in no way suggesting that this was the case with tinyman's experience, however I still find, although I am comfy sealed and firm for the most part, this does need improving though, if there is a tiny slip and the seal is not perfect then they become sibilance itself and very frustrating. 

Did I read somewhere that there is an outfit that will make custom molds for non custom IEM's?

It almost sounds like you guys are describing the coherency issue someone was pointing out about the AKG K3003. It's as if the dynamic and balanced armature speakers are not quite on the same page. Oddly enough, that makes me want to hear them even more. Perhaps they'll have a livelier sound. In other words, a “studio live” sound where everything isn't mastered perfectly. Back in the day, the stage-band (i.e. live concert) was not perfectly blended either.

I'm puzzled by the idea that the SE535 could be “too bright”. I find them warm and only ever so slightly bright (if that). I think warm and bright is the best combination (as oppose to cold and dark).

I seal for isolation. I seal by adjustment according to engine/wind noise in the truck as oppose to how it feels in my ear. The foam tips are okay, but I find the triple-flange to be better and the triple-flange/foam combo even better still. I can't get the first flange properly in my ear without a few drops of water as lubrication.

Struggling to hear detail is another bad sign as I have the IQ in the “add to cart” position. Do I pull the trigger? Let's see, we have sibilant highs, scooped out lower mids, and a struggle to hear detail. We also have “tight bass”, which is like hearing FIRST that a blind date has a nice personality.
blink.gif

I'm just kidding about the tight bass.
biggrin.gif
I had tight bass in my car (back in the day) with the two 12 inch Kicker woofers. Only the rear view mirror rattled (nothing else). If you were outside the car you heard something completely different with the car's tag rattling wildly and the bass appearing to drag with a deep moan. It's a different world inside the car.
wink_face.gif

Apr 17, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #66 of 163
Quote:
It almost sounds like you guys are describing the coherency issue someone was pointing out about the AKG K3003. It's as if the dynamic and balanced armature speakers are not quite on the same page. Oddly enough, that makes me want to hear them even more. Perhaps they'll have a livelier sound. In other words, a “studio live” sound where everything isn't mastered perfectly. Back in the day, the stage-band (i.e. live concert) was not perfectly blended either.

I'm puzzled by the idea that the SE535 could be “too bright”. I find them warm and only ever so slightly bright (if that). I think warm and bright is the best combination (as oppose to cold and dark).

I seal for isolation. I seal by adjustment according to engine/wind noise in the truck as oppose to how it feels in my ear. The foam tips are okay, but I find the triple-flange to be better and the triple-flange/foam combo even better still. I can't get the first flange properly in my ear without a few drops of water as lubrication.

Struggling to hear detail is another bad sign as I have the IQ in the “add to cart” position. Do I pull the trigger? Let's see, we have sibilant highs, scooped out lower mids, and a struggle to hear detail. We also have “tight bass”, which is like hearing FIRST that a blind date has a nice personality.
blink.gif

I'm just kidding about the tight bass.
biggrin.gif
I had tight bass in my car (back in the day) with the two 12 inch Kicker woofers. Only the rear view mirror rattled (nothing else). If you were outside the car you heard something completely different with the car's tag rattling wildly and the bass appearing to drag with a deep moan. It's a different world inside the car.
wink_face.gif

Brilliant assessment of my waffle I would say. However I am nit picking and slightly guilty of a couple of things, one of them is that I am a bit pissed off with Shure as I have had three pairs of 535's or them and their predecessor without the replaceable cables. Yeah I got a bit disillusioned when I bought my third pair due to the cables being totally rubbish, at least I can replace them now, however we did have a few fall outs, and even with brand new cables bought, I can still get some crackle in one of them if I move my head in the wrong direction. So I am a bit cross with them.

Maybe "bright" was the wrong word to use. I think with that statement I was trying to express "fatigue" or lack of it. At times I found that with the Shure's I simply had to take them out as they were tiring my ears, this could be down to loads of things I suppose, but I did find them to be quite "punchy"...maybe "focused" is a better word.

These things are so very different to that, they sound so open and wide.

I was thinking a lot about sound wave propagation through air and IEM's and Closed Backs etc etc....it was simply thinking, I didn't go on line and do any research. However to my mind, knowing what I know about frequencies and wavelengths (much more than is healthy), I got to thinking about how difficult it must have been for Ultrasone to achieve what they have, which is an IEM with a ridiculously detailed sound stage. One would presume that due to the shorter wavelength of the higher frequencies then they would naturally punch through and hit your ear drum totally differently when the music is being pumped straight onto your ear drum, so really I suppose there is always going to be a battle against sibilance to some degree, but to my mind and as long as the seal is there, Ultrasone have nailed it with these, and maybe they have done so exactly as you describe. Sometimes lack of coherence can be an equalizer of sorts as long as the phase of the imbalance is in line with the frequency. It essentially stacks out and allows for the detail without the fatigue. 

That is some "sonic jargon" that really does apply in this case but might need more explaining.

I have to say that I am jealous of tinymans description and wish I had included it, DETAIL ORIENTATED, is really a very good description.

Interesting that you mention "studio live" and I know exactly what you mean, I have a producer friend who sometimes sends me unmastered tracks, and of course you can really hear that. 

I can hear it on audio from video too, I can hear when the mixing messes up, where the siren from one scene actually trails into the next, where there is no police car, a mistake, but really quite clear on the IQ9's. I tried it with my SHURE's, can't hear the siren when the scene changes on them, but can on the Ultrasones, which says a lot about the difference in quality to my mind anyway.

However these are just my thoughts and in reality I am not qualified or experienced enough in Head Fi to really make the best judgments, I will get there one day, this is really only a few months in to really trying to learn how to express what my ears are hearing and how I feel about it, I am going to get some things plain wrong.

All I can say, is that I really like these, I find them very exciting and really to steal tinyman's description "Detail Orientated"...but in their own unique way. Personally I have never heard anything like them, but you can see by my list, that I haven't heard too many thing.

I was disappointed at first and though that I had paid for a name, but I was wrong, incredible detail and depth for an IEM, in my experience.

May 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #67 of 163
OK, I know I risk exposing myself here, but I think I owe it to everyone to let them know that I have reviewed my review. Essentially, yes, tinyman is 100% correct there is a significant recession in the lower mids. I am very sorry for jumping the gun. This has been posted as a comment under my review for the product, I have taken the star rating down a couple of stars also. OK, I really want to add to my review here, to be honest I think I got a little over excited by the detail, which remains superb, but I really have to say that the lower frequencies are either totally missing or very recessed. A user called tinyman said on a thread that these are "Detail Orientated" and he was very very right. I do enjoy listening to them, I do not regret buying them as hearing the detail is exciting, but they are not really, to my ears, a complete headphone, or certainly not one for a bit of a bass lover like I am. I really don't know what they got wrong as it even says on the packaging that they have an amazing bass response, they don't. Sometimes the very low frequencies can be impressive, but only on tracks that are fairly slow. This is also generally true of all of the frequencies, they perform better with slower music. On tracks that I know well I can totally hear the recession of the lower mids and the sub bass, in fact sometimes the lower mids are so recessed that I laugh a bit, not because I think they are stupid but because it is just so obvious. I realize that this edition of my review contradicts some of the things that I was saying previously, sorry about that, please bear with me, I am new to this and learning by reading, writing and listening. I can get a great seal all of the time, but sorry Ultrasone, these things do not come up to scratch on the bass by a long chalk. Apologies to all Head Fi'ers for writing a review a little bit too soon, it was really only when I started listening to tracks that I know inside out that it became just too obvious for me to simply leave the review as it stood. I will not edit anything aside from the star rating, as they are not five stars, no chance. I do maintain that for detail and sound stage I have never heard anything better as an IEM, and I still enjoy them, I am just truly disappointed that I didn't really clock the fact that there was something missing until I started to make notes. Lesson learned, don't get over excited and write a review, bit irresponsible I know, I am just learning though.

May 14, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #68 of 163
Hmmm....seems like my reviews of these might be slightly Tango Uniform. Only using the 3.5mm jack from my Colorfly C4, it has been brought to my attention that this is not really advisable and that it can make the sound signature somewhat anemic, this was the word used by someone else when describing the difference. I pretty much think that this is what I was describing above. A bit thin and a little bit of substance missing. I don't have an adapter with me, but as soon as I get one I will have another listen and post again. I suspect that I might be revising some comments as essentially it is exactly what I am moaning about, so perhaps with some more juice these things will come into their own a touch more.

Might explain why I was slightly more impressed straight out of my Mac or my iPhone....

If using the 6.3 socket with an adapter does inject some more red blood cells, then I suspect that these will become a bit of an overlooked gem and well worth their asking price.

We shall see.

May 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #69 of 163
I wondered about the location of the pinhole (I presume, dynamic bass vent) at the top of the Ultrasone IQ. I didn't try to cover it and listen to the bass afterward to hear the effect. It's in a bad spot. If it had been at the bottom (to me) that would have made more sense. If it is indeed a bass vent, then it could get clogged and degrade the bass response.

I let the IQ run on the nightstand in the guess room for 100 hours as I did with the UE900 and SM64. The IQ seemed to improve from its initial sound. I couldn't tell the difference with the UE900, SM64, or SE535 (for that matter) after only 100 hours. The 535 did improve after 300 to 500 hours (not sure what to attribute that too). But, with the IQ that upper frequency edginess seemed to have gone away (I used my triple-flange tips which also helped, I'm sure). Additionally, the bass improved slightly on the IQ as well. Sub-bass resonance got a little better than it's anemic start (on day one). It was never great, however.

I did not observe a recession in the lower mids. I did, however, find myself inching up the volume because the mid-vocal area lacked liveliness. I attributed that to a more linear overall balance than the 535 in the A/B-ing . I would say the mid-vocal region seemed slightly warmer and slightly “taller” than the 535 (at the adjusted volume match). Mid vocals sounded livelier on the 535.

Like the UE900, once I got the IQ in the truck (the only place these days where I use an IEM) and realized that the isolation was not up to par, the evaluation was over. Even using the same triple-flange hybrid tips I use for the 535, the IQ required more volume to overcome the background noise than I was comfortable using for long-term listening.

The IQ is not for me because of my use environment, but I felt that there was unrealized potential there (and I simply don't have the proper equipment to bring it out).

Hey Vespertine, it was your post that nudged me into getting the IQ in the first place and then you jumped ship and left me holding a very expensive bag.  Why I oughta....I'm kidding. The IQ was on my IEM bucket list. I'm glad I tried it.

Edit to add: Since the IQ was taller than the 535 (at what I percieved to be equal volume levels), I wanted to see if the IQ could match the old E5c in size. It could not.

May 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #70 of 163
Bollocks - I truly feel guilty - Sorry...

Having said that, I have had yet another switch but one that is not yet proven, see how they sound through a different source, or socket at least.

I agree with you regarding possible unrealised potential, there is something to these that make them something different at least bit more thickness in the source and maybe they will be different. 

OK, learned a lesson there, what can I do?

Sorry mate, will not right more reviews until I have more experience, that is probably the most responsible thing I think man.

Agreed that the seal changes everything, I actually used the soft rubber large tips today but had sun oil on my hands, the sightly oily tips created a perfect seal.

Need to try these through different sources. I will be keeping them, they still interest me as an IEM.

I am really hoping that you can send them back?

Sorry again.

May 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #71 of 163
Quote:
Bollocks - I truly feel guilty - Sorry...

Having said that, I have had yet another switch but one that is not yet proven, see how they sound through a different source, or socket at least.

I agree with you regarding possible unrealised potential, there is something to these that make them something different at least bit more thickness in the source and maybe they will be different. 

OK, learned a lesson there, what can I do?

Sorry mate, will not right more reviews until I have more experience, that is probably the most responsible thing I think man.

Agreed that the seal changes everything, I actually used the soft rubber large tips today but had sun oil on my hands, the sightly oily tips created a perfect seal.

Need to try these through different sources. I will be keeping them, they still interest me as an IEM.

I am really hoping that you can send them back?

Sorry again.

I said I was kidding and I really was. I've already sent the IQ back. I haven't been credited with a refund yet,  but I fully expect too. I don't buy headphones based on one review anyway. In fact, these days, I try to demo everything before I permanently purchase it. The buyer's remorse return policy of some retailers is the only reason why I tried them out. I would've never bought them otherwise.

I need a higher level of isolation than most because I drive a truck 8 to 10 hours a day. Yet, I still want to listen at low volume levels. That requires greater isolation. That has meant vent-less BA-based IEMs. I asked the question on this forum about whether the IQ had a vent and no one could answer conclusively and it was impossible for me to tell in photos.

The 2009 Freightliner that I drive is a little noise but I like it. My company may get rid of that model and force me into a 2014 International which runs as quietly as a late model compact car. In that case, average isolation may suffice. As of now, I need the max and I get just that with those thick Shure triple-flanges.

May 15, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #72 of 163
Quote:

I said I was kidding and I really was. I've already sent the IQ back. I haven't been credited with a refund yet,  but I fully expect too. I don't buy headphones based on one review anyway. In fact, these days, I try to demo everything before I permanently purchase it. The buyer's remorse return policy of some retailers is the only reason why I tried them out. I would've never bought them otherwise.

I need a higher level of isolation than most because I drive a truck 8 to 10 hours a day. Yet, I still want to listen at low volume levels. That requires greater isolation. That has meant vent-less BA-based IEMs. I asked the question on this forum about whether the IQ had a vent and no one could answer conclusively and it was impossible for me to tell in photos.

The 2009 Freightliner that I drive is a little noise but I like it. My company may get rid of that model and force me into a 2014 International which runs as quietly as a late model compact car. In that case, average isolation may suffice. As of now, I need the max and I get just that with those thick Shure triple-flanges.

Thanks truckdriver, I know you were kidding but the fact remains that I am not very experienced, as proven by the fact that I could easily have answered your question about there being a vent as I had spotted the hole ages ago, probably read the question and didn't even correlate the two.

In a way I think that I should really get a broader scope of experience before I say too much, as it could lead to people spending money that they can ill afford and me being me will have the urge to offer a refund myself!

Maybe the new Shure's coming out will ace if your outfit doesn't change your Freightliner. They look very interesting to me.

The other forums that I inhabit are cycling ones, and I am presuming from the type of trucks that you drive that you are from the USA. I have done quite a lot of road riding in the USA, and some of your comrades of the road scare the living sh1t out of me.

I don't think that I will wear my Ultrasones on the road in the USA, you never know some dude in a Freightliner one day might put two and two together and decide not to move out at all. It wouldn't be the first time that my 15lb bicycle and the very light person riding it gets blown into a ditch :)

Thanks for being so gracious!

To be fair I paid full whack for my Denon 7100's and I have some new closed backs waiting for me at home which were purchased after reading and writing a lot on here, whereas the 7100's were an impulse buy, not researched at all. It will be too late to take them back, so I suspect that in two weeks time I will have 1KGBP's worth of headphone that will do a very good job of gathering dust.

Perhaps the Mrs can have them or something.

I am relieved that you can get your loot back, I will be following you to see where you go next with your IEM's, my next step has been taken there also, I will at least be building my "hearing base" and be able to compare. 

I have found myself totally addicted to Head Fi, for lots of reasons, I think a big part of it is the thrill of the chase, so I suppose it will never stop.

People keep asking me why I need more than one pair. I tell them that it is not a question of need.

May 15, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #73 of 163
anyone tried using comply tips on this iem? does it fill out the bass somewhat...?
i had this iem from hisoundaudio ..golden crystal, high clarity type using the given silicon tips..
then i switched to comply, and now it goes out with me everyday, 
there is bass, there is clarity..v happy with it.

May 15, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #74 of 163
Quote:
anyone tried using comply tips on this iem? does it fill out the bass somewhat...?
i had this iem from hisoundaudio ..golden crystal, high clarity type using the given silicon tips..
then i switched to comply, and now it goes out with me everyday, 
there is bass, there is clarity..v happy with it.

Yeah I am using the Comply, I do sometimes get a lovely bass, but not consistently...

I need to swap my source really and then see what that does....

I do agree with you though, there is something special about these, and if I get a bit more juice going into the, fill the sound out a bit, they could be real contenders I think....

But YES, that seal has to be PERFECT for the Bass response to be any good at all....

As I stated above, I was using the soft silicone ones yesterday, my comply need replacing. A tiny bit of oil on my hands made the soft silicone seal perfectly!

May 15, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #75 of 163
lol......extra virgin olive oil? 

i would squeeze my comply n insert it in..
then it would expand, n make a good seal a few seconds later.
sounds crude...lol.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back