Ultrasone IQ
Aug 14, 2012 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 163

RAFA

Headphoneus Supremus
Ultrasone will now enter the IEM business with it's Ultrasone IQ. Source: http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/14/ultrasone-iq-in-ear-headphones/

Quote:
...packed within each aluminum alloy capsule is a combo of a traditional dynamic driver and a balanced armature driver, with the former taking care of the bass plus lower-mids, and the latter covering the rest --...

It will hit the market in September.

(if you want more photos, hit the source link)

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 163
Uhhh, yeah, because a squared off earphone housing makes so much sense with the natural curve of the ear's concha....

Also, $770?? 

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 163
Quote:
Uhhh, yeah, because a squared off earphone housing makes so much sense with the natural curve of the ear's concha....

Also, $770?? 

The shape looks similar to the Brainwavz B2, Fischer Audio DBA-02 and DBA-02 MKII, and the Audio-Technica CK10 (I think it's the 10).  These are actually quite comfortable over the ear...  

Aug 14, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 163
To me images of the DBA-02 seem to show the outer shell having more of a radius along the walls than the prototype Ultrasones, even though granted it is a mostly squared off design too. Sorry, but the IQ just looks more drastically square and uncomfortable to me. I did own the v1 SM3 and found that to be just fine (always wore them over the ears), but these just look a bit too large to have that sharp of a shape.... The CK10 is quite round, so maybe it's the CK90?    

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 163
Very interesting, but that price
blink.gif

I'm looking forward to read some impressions and reviews of these, hopefully they'll be as good sounding as Ultrasone's headphones.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 163
I still haven't completely figured out why some companies insist on universal IEMs past 500 bucks. That's hitting good customs territory, and most people with the money to drop will either go customs or full size.

Besides that, they look cool. Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss IEMs if they play off of their HFI/PRO line.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 163
Quote:
I still haven't completely figured out why some companies insist on universal IEMs past 500 bucks. That's hitting good customs territory, and most people with the money to drop will either go customs or full size.

Besides that, they look cool. Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss IEMs if they play off of their HFI/PRO line.

Some people think customs aren't the end-all-be-all most build them up to be, myself included. I recently bought the FitEar To Go 334 (look that one up for some sticker shock), it's a universal, and is significantly more than the proposed price of the IQ. Sound quality is pretty much in line with its asking price, and if I for some reason find some reason to move on (hello upgraditis), I can sell easily. Not nearly as easy with customs....

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 163
I saw Ultrasone's new products at the Hong Kong High End Audio Expo. We weren't allowed to try it unfortunately...New IEM from Ultrasone which looked really good close up, and I wonder what it is plated with. Also from them is the Signature DJ, which is white! Signature HFI will also be released but the model was not at the site. Final Audio also had another headphone which is not the Muramasa on display as well.

Aug 15, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 163
Quote:
I saw Ultrasone's new products at the Hong Kong High End Audio Expo. We weren't allowed to try it unfortunately...New IEM from Ultrasone which looked really good close up, and I wonder what it is plated with. Also from them is the Signature DJ, which is white! Signature HFI will also be released but the model was not at the site. Final Audio also had another headphone which is not the Muramasa on display as well.

The housing is aluminium. I do not think they would coat this with gold...

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 163
Quote:
590 for single BA IEM? I thought grado was crazy, seems like I was wrong. 

It also has a dynamic plus FAD charge over a grand for a single BA and i have had some single BA sound extremely AWESOME so do not judge :wink:

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 163
Quote:
It also has a dynamic plus FAD charge over a grand for a single BA and i have had some single BA sound extremely AWESOME so do not judge :wink:

I know single BA can sound amazing, but the price for single BA over 400 are far too few. I was hoping for the IQ to be around 700 but I guess that too is just wishful thinking :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back