Ultrasone Hfi vs. Pro- veterans welcome
Dec 2, 2009 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

RockinCannoisseur

500+ Head-Fier
Decided to start this thread after bein stuck on the fence as it were, on the hfi and pro series, as of late ive narrowed it down to wither the dj1 pro, Pro 900, or the Hfi 2400. Lets discuss which has the most bass punch and which has the most full bodied warmth and rich sound? In addition id like to add to please discuss any sibilance issues, overall volume, sensitivity, impediance, and distortion at hgiher volumes(which i cant stand).
Last but not least let us not to forget the build quality and comfort factor.
thankyou

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 21
Amplifier? You will need it for Pro900 - that's for sure.
I had a deal with pro550 which are very close to dj pro1 (the same driver if I'm not mistaken), but have less bass. I also own hfi-580. Pros were not as fun as HFIm but more detiled & cleaner overall. I think DJs would be closer to HFI series in terms of fun. Great can for bass heavy music. Still I know people who thinks that they lack bass even compairing to cheap moded Numark PHX (not quality, but quantity). Pros have less sibilance than my HFI but a lot depends on proper amplification.
Can't say nothing about Pro900 or HFI2400. Haven't heard them.

Dec 15, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentmeloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amplifier? You will need it for Pro900 - that's for sure.
I had a deal with pro550 which are very close to dj pro1 (the same driver if I'm not mistaken), but have less bass. I also own hfi-580. Pros were not as fun as HFIm but more detiled & cleaner overall. I think DJs would be closer to HFI series in terms of fun. Great can for bass heavy music. Still I know people who thinks that they lack bass even compairing to cheap moded Numark PHX (not quality, but quantity). Pros have less sibilance than my HFI but a lot depends on proper amplification.
Can't say nothing about Pro900 or HFI2400. Haven't heard them.

so the hfi have more bass than the pro
and
i thought tthe dj1 was hfi 580 modded and the dj1 pro wer the pro 550 modded

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 21
dj1 is modded hfi-550, not hfi-580! dj1pro - modded pro550. Yeah, dj versions & HFI have a little more bass than pro line. It's made for fun listening! but... I can't describe Ultrasones as warm. They are bright for sure, but vey ahhressive - great for rock & electronic. Though on jazz & etc. they are not as good as AT ot Denons. Also consider to try them out before you buy it. I bought mine hfi-580 from man who hated their highs. Befero burn-in they are very edgy. They settled a bit after 300 hours, but still they a little aggressive. Not everyone would like it.
Comfort is OK. Pro (dj pro also) series is better. cause you can add velour pads. Cable is very long. If ypu need it for portable purposes - take everything with pro (it have replacement one), so you can buy cable that you want for cheap!

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentmeloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dj1 is modded hfi-550, not hfi-580! dj1pro - modded pro550. Yeah, dj versions & HFI have a little more bass than pro line. It's made for fun listening! but... I can't describe Ultrasones as warm. They are bright for sure, but vey ahhressive - great for rock & electronic. Though on jazz & etc. they are not as good as AT ot Denons. Also consider to try them out before you buy it. I bought mine hfi-580 from man who hated their highs. Befero burn-in they are very edgy. They settled a bit after 300 hours, but still they a little aggressive. Not everyone would like it.
Comfort is OK. Pro (dj pro also) series is better. cause you can add velour pads. Cable is very long. If ypu need it for portable purposes - take everything with pro (it have replacement one), so you can buy cable that you want for cheap!

cool thanks for clearin that up with the dj1 mod of hfi 550 not 580, thats confusing,, i did also here that the old dj1 model is different then their post 2008 dj1 model, so maybe they used the hfi 580 after 2008 to mod,

that guy really thought the hfi 580 were too bright? wow, i thought the 580 wee supposed to have most bass.

would i tbe safe to assume that the dj1 pro have more bass and punch than the hfi 580? i ask cause you saide that the hfi generaly have more bass and are moe fun to listen to adn that the pro are more clear and analytical.
aslo im hopin the dj1 pro have more punch than regular dj1, but that brings back the question of the newer post 2008 dj1 model or at least the driver they u sed.

thanks

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 21
HFI & DJ pro have the same bass. Maybe there is a little difference due to different ear-pad design. But overall - they are very close to each other. But DJ pro are more comfortable, have replacable cables & more accessories. So it's up to you.
But again - one man on this forum wrote that bass on hfi-780 is not enoughs for him. What cans do you have now? Do you need enormous quantity of bass or great quality?

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 21
I would describe hfi-2200 as somewhat full-bodied (a better word would be smooth), but doesn't have nearly as much bass punch as pro 900, but which is what most people will probably prefer. I wonder how much improved the driver is on the hfi-2400, because 2200 did not have excellent detail.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would describe hfi-2200 as somewhat full-bodied (a better word would be smooth), but doesn't have nearly as much bass punch as pro 900, but which is what most people will probably prefer. I wonder how much improved the driver is on the hfi-2400, because 2200 did not have excellent detail.

does the bass punch lack as a result of an open can

edition 9 vs edtion 8? open vs closed?

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 21
Hello, from what i understand, the 2400 uses the same driver as the 2200, the 2200s, i think would be better as a closed headphone, as the vocals sound crisp and personal but they can lack when it comes to bass, they scrapped the velour pads on the 2400 (can somebody verify this), witch makes the bass more detailed. i picked up my 2200s for 190$ (new) so i am a happy bunny!
o2smile.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 21
They're possibly different drivers since HFI-2200 has 75 ohms and HFI-2400 has 70 ohms, but that 5 ohms might be due to the diode I know they put inside the HFI-2200 but can't check it right now since mine are with my mom atm. Just to be clear, neither are closed-back, both are open-back. And both have velour pads. The lowest I could find on the HFI-2400 was around $280 so you got a fair price on the HFI-2200.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 21
i called ultrasone for info comparing th two and im waiting for details via email!, but from what the lady there told me (very helpful lady, another 5* for ultrasone workers) , she thinks the driver is the same, as they already changed the driver in 2200 while it was in production so we'll see what info i get! and im gonna get some black pads from them! and i was woundering, about some acoustic matrial i have, i was thinking about putting inside my 2200s surrounding the driver, do you think this could help the bass quality?? make them less loud (so my mom does not sing along every time i walk past
smily_headphones1.gif
)???

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 21
It all depends on what you're going to use them for. I've just sold my 680's, 780's and pro 750's. Still got the HFI15G (never get rid of those) HFI-450, baby of the range, but very good, and the iCans and Zino's (less said the better).

The HFi's are more suited to fast moving music, the Proline's, the 750's are more ... mature sounding headphones. Deeper more precision than the HFi's but not necessarily more suited to the majority of my music.

Having said that I'm considering the 900 pro's, but I'm also considering switching over to Beyer.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/900...90-pro-465240/

BTW I love my DJ1's, they're like the 680 on steroids, and I’ve got them on now as it happens. I'd only sell these to buy and try the DJ pro's. Because of the hike in sensitivity, an amp isn't so important. You can buy a lesser amp. I've only
Got a little RSA Hornet amp, but rarely do I use it with the DJ's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back