Ultrasone HFI-780 or PRO 750 - Final Verdict?
May 21, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This info help me also, I was looking at the 750's also to go with my OPA627's. Since I see them for 225 b stock.

Are those Pro750s or Proline750s? Where is this magical place?

May 21, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 28
I believe the PROs, as opposed to the ProLines, have cushier velour parts (pads and headband piece) but are otherwise the same.

I just received a pair of broken-in 750 PROs and I have owned ALO 780s and heard stock 780s. IMO, the 750s are a much more refined and balanced and enjoyable pair of headphones than either of the 780s.

The bass on the 780s is just out of whack (audiophile term). It is very tight but just too emphasized. They are a lot of fun, but so is jacking up my equalizer and I rarely do that. And when i do it, I can just as easily flatten it back down! If you like a huge bass impact, then the 780s (recabled) are a great choice because the mids are left pretty nicely defined and not recessed and that is tough to do when combined with all that low end.....

Also, the 780s clamped more tightly and have sweaty pleather instead of comfy velour. If the bass didn't make you take them off after 1/2 hour, the comfort surely would.

May 21, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fcote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me the look is really secondary. Thanks for all your answers! I made my choice.
Someone here on the forum sold me his 750.
biggrin.gif

Good choice imo. The 750's stock are much better than the stock 780's. The latter tooooooo much bass, piercing highs at times and uncontrolled wheras the 750's are tight, more balanced, more refined and more transparent.
Enjoy your new purchase!
Ow, and don't forget about the wonderful burn-in like 250 hrs
biggrin.gif
It's fun though..
cool.gif

May 22, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fcote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me tell you for what I want this headphone.
- Yahama Receiver with SILENT CINEMA (Best choice in the world)

I have one of those at my desk now. I never listen to my phones through it, just a set of Sony 5.1 speakers for my computer gaming rig. Anyone else have opinions about listening through these Silent Cinema amps ?

May 28, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #24 of 28
I received the headphones today (Already with a 400 hours of burn-in
biggrin.gif
). I'm listening right the audio CD from Ultrasone. Awesome! WOW! Stereo sound with 3D, you need to listen, feel and live the way the sounds and music transport you when you close your eyes. This practically unreal because this is so real.

I tested a few songs of my collection (for some of them to much details I never heard before! lol) nearly every genres of music sound just great. I tested 10 minutes of gaming with my PS3 (5.1 with Silent Cinema from my Yamaha receiver) I'm so impressed. I need to compare more with my speakers vs this headphones. I'm sure the headphones will win.
smily_headphones1.gif

The sound is well balanced in my opinion. The S-Logic technology from Ultrasone really give another dimension to the sound with or without a surround receiver. To date the best headphones I had. The cherry on the cake will be later tonight, listening a movie on Blu-ray.

I'm a happy man now and I never been so excite to rediscover most of my music with this very good headphones. I cannot imagine the need of changing the cable with this quality. I will maybe say... I cannot imagine how this will improve more this excellent headphones with a recabling.

I will continue to explore more music and give you more feedbacks after a few testing (days) with my Yamaha receiver.

I just don't know why Ultrasone say the HFI-780 are practically made for my receiver and not the 750, perhaps because they were not made for that even if there is same the technology.

"The low frequency ranges are being risen in order to reach the highest possible synergies with DSP-Systems like DOLBY HEADPHONE™ and Yamaha SILENT CINEMA™."

The 750 have lower range, highter range = more ranges. Give me your opinion about this.

May 28, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #25 of 28
My 2008 Pro 750's arrived this morning, with a split cable (Silver Dragon) mod by Drew at Moon-Audio. I have been listening non-stop for 13 hours.

I may be the first to do a 200 hour break-in by leaving them on my head. I can't believe how good they are. Taking a shower is going to be tough, but for the sake of audio quality we have to make choices, don't we?

BTW, Drew is set up as a dealer with the new distributor that follows Ultrasone's break with UltrasoneUSA. I got a very fast purchase, mod and ship.

The Ultrasone rep on another thread confirmed what is on Ultrasone's web site: PRO upgrades ProLine only thru thicker ear pads and a thicker headband cushion. But don't call this "cosmetic" -- the ear pads make a real difference (I tired many other Ultrasone's at Can Jam '08). My wife called them "comfy" -- OK I took them off my head for one song -- which is amazing.

For airplane travel ya gotta have CLOSED cans unless you're rude, plus these FOLD in on themselves, and with Drew's split mod they fold without unscrewing the cable, which is great.

These are the perfect travel HP's. I made a velcro tie to hold them tightly closed, and spool the Silver Dragon cable (which Drew made fairly short, and with a mini plug termination, all the better for travel!).

My previous closed-backs were Senn PX-200's, which now we all know do not live up to the promise of the PX-100's. The folded-up 750's are bigger, the size of a big softball, but well worth it.

Sonic delight and travel-ready in one package ... can't beat it!

May 28, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #26 of 28
Good to know.
smily_headphones1.gif
Can you send a few pictures of your modded PRO 750?

One always says an image is worth thousand words.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2008 Pro 750's arrived this morning, with a split cable (Silver Dragon) mod by Drew at Moon-Audio. I have been listening non-stop for 13 hours.

I may be the first to do a 200 hour break-in by leaving them on my head. I can't believe how good they are. Taking a shower is going to be tough, but for the sake of audio quality we have to make choices, don't we?

BTW, Drew is set up as a dealer with the new distributor that follows Ultrasone's break with UltrasoneUSA. I got a very fast purchase, mod and ship.

The Ultrasone rep on another thread confirmed what is on Ultrasone's web site: PRO upgrades ProLine only thru thicker ear pads and a thicker headband cushion. But don't call this "cosmetic" -- the ear pads make a real difference (I tired many other Ultrasone's at Can Jam '08). My wife called them "comfy" -- OK I took them off my head for one song -- which is amazing.

For airplane travel ya gotta have CLOSED cans unless you're rude, plus these FOLD in on themselves, and with Drew's split mod they fold without unscrewing the cable, which is great.

These are the perfect travel HP's. I made a velcro tie to hold them tightly closed, and spool the Silver Dragon cable (which Drew made fairly short, and with a mini plug termination, all the better for travel!).

My previous closed-backs were Senn PX-200's, which now we all know do not live up to the promise of the PX-100's. The folded-up 750's are bigger, the size of a big softball, but well worth it.

Sonic delight and travel-ready in one package ... can't beat it!

Apr 30, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #27 of 28
Pro650 work fine with an ipod. I feel the Hfi780 is more fun sounding though. You don't have to recable, just reterminate with a new plug to whatever length you want (I did this to my 650's and it's simple).
Oh, and don't pay above $100 for pro650's, they sold new for that last year.

May 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #28 of 28
So I've just bought the Pro 750 (arriving tomorrow!), and was looking for a portable amp to along with them. Found a package deal including the FiiO E6, E11 and L9 for $70... what are your guys thoughts on the E11/L9 (or even the E6) paired with the 750's? Worth the 70? Help quick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back