Ultrasone HFI-780 or PRO 750 - Final Verdict?
May 15, 2008 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

fcote

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I read so many threads (more than 4 hours of reading) about this 2 headphones to get an headache!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm ready to buy and I want to do the right choice for my use. Some people say "boomy" bass for the HFI-780 and "textured" bass for the PRO 750. But the real question is about the new version of the HFI-780 with the S-LogicPlus compare to the older HFI-780 without the "Plus". I found nothing on this forum talking about this new technology. Maybe this will give more quality to the sound? Some people can talk about there experience?

HFI-780 without S-LogicPlus
vs.
HFI-780 with S-LogicPlus
vs.
PRO 750

Let me tell you for what I want this headphone.
- Yahama Receiver with SILENT CINEMA (Best choice in the world)
- PlayStation 3 for Blu-Ray movies or gaming
- Listen music score (orchestral) of movies (S-LogicPlus should improve that for what I read)
- I want to use them sometime with an iPod (Can I?)

Thank you very in advance for your help and guidance.

PS.: I like this forum, sometimes to much informations make me crazy like, recable your new headphone, COME ON GUYS... give me a brake!!
tongue.gif
)

May 15, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 28
For one thing there is no HFI-780 without S-Logic Plus. The previous HFI-700 was re-worked as the 780. The Pro 750 is a re-branded Proline 750 without any internal changes unlike the HFI-700 to HFI-780 conversion. The 780 has a eight inch plug for the regular iPod. It is great will all music for me.

I would highly recommend getting an upgraded cabled HFI-780 over the Pro 750. I had the Proline 750 and while it was very good it had some areas that just did not do it for me. There was some congestion in the bass with heavy bass tracks. You can go to the really big Ultrasone thread and search on my username and Proline 2500 and congestion or bass and see what I said back when I had them.

The re-cabled and modified ALO-HFI-780 does not have this short coming. To me my 780 is very good but not as good as my Edition 9s. There are two very good re-cables that I would recommend for the 780. The ALO Jenna 18g like mine and Alex's version 3 from what others have said although I have not heard them.

May 16, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For one thing there is no HFI-780 without S-Logic Plus. The previous HFI-700 was re-worked as the 780. The Pro 750 is a re-branded Proline 750 without any internal changes unlike the HFI-700 to HFI-780 conversion. The 780 has a eight inch plug for the regular iPod. It is great will all music for me.

I'm happy to read that for the iPod.

Quote:

I would highly recommend getting an upgraded cabled HFI-780 over the Pro 750. I had the Proline 750 and while it was very good it had some areas that just did not do it for me. There was some congestion in the bass with heavy bass tracks. You can go to the really big Ultrasone thread and search on my username and Proline 2500 and congestion or bass and see what I said back when I had them.

This is not to much crazy to buy this headphones and already modify them?

How much this will cost me?

Do you know a place on the Net or someone who already sell modified HFI-780 for a good price (if this really worth it)?

Quote:

The re-cabled and modified ALO-HFI-780 does not have this short coming. To me my 780 is very good but not as good as my Edition 9s. There are two very good re-cables that I would recommend for the 780. The ALO Jenna 18g like mine and Alex's version 3 from what others have said although I have not heard them.

The Edition 9s are out of price for me but interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for your answer!

May 16, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 28
See my comments in bold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm happy to read that for the iPod.

You can have them re-cabled with either the eight inch plug or the quarter inch for a regular amp. Mine is a quarter inch plug and I can use it with an adapter for the iPod but not recommended for a portable setup using the adapter.

This is not to much crazy to buy this headphones and already modify them?

How much this will cost me? See my PM. New about 585$ for the 18g Jenna cable. Check out the ALO link on the Sponsor list for ALO and check out their listing.

Do you know a place on the Net or someone who already sell modified HFI-780 for a good price (if this really worth it)?

See my PM again.

The Edition 9s are out of price for me but interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you for your answer!

May 16, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

PS.: I like this forum, sometimes to much informations make me crazy like, recable your new headphone, COME ON GUYS... give me a brake!!

We like to take things to the extreme.

If you are looking to get the 780, lots of people here have tried the S^2 audio recable. It's a good value compared to some of the other recable options. Of course, if you want to squeeze the most out of any headphone, look into Apuresound, Moon Audio, or ALO.

May 17, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 28
Final tought...

Without modification (stock) which one is the best HFI-780 or PRO 750?

I want the best one out of the box (I know the burn-in will help to get them better but without re-cabling)

May 20, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 28
I've been using a beyer DT770 before at work and now a hfi 780 (new) and it gives me the same "i need to hear more" feeling i have at home when listening to the ED9; it is almost fun to go to work again
wink.gif

May 21, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fcote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Final tought...

Without modification (stock) which one is the best HFI-780 or PRO 750?

I want the best one out of the box (I know the burn-in will help to get them better but without re-cabling)

IMO - 750s no question. I find the 780s fatiguing before any mods.

May 21, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 28
From the many review I've read:

In therm of sound quality, the 750 seems to be better. the 780 sound a bit bassier.

For the look, I certainly prefer the 780's black over the 750's blue.... I think blue and gray is ugly to be honest.

The 750 is like 100$ more than the 780.

I haven't heard any of them, they're not selling audiophiles stuff where I live.

May 21, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevenz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the look, I certainly prefer the 780's black over the 750's blue.... I think blue and gray is ugly to be honest.

Yeah, they can be ugly. Just make sure if you wear them in public that your outfit matches the color scheme, or else they will certainly stand out.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, they can be ugly. Just make sure if you wear them in public that your outfit matches the color scheme, or else they will certainly stand out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ugly.. I dont see my 750's when Im wearing them, and when I'm not they are in the bag.
icon10.gif

May 21, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

For me the look is really secondary. Thanks for all your answers! I made my choice.

Someone here on the forum sold me his 750.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 28
This info help me also, I was looking at the 750's also to go with my OPA627's. Since I see them for 225 b stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back