Ultrasone Edition8 or Westone ES5
Sep 12, 2010 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tidal

100+ Head-Fier
Hello

I'd like to ask. Which are more suitable for me between an used pair of Edition8 and a new pair of Westone ES5 (They cost same here).
I plan not to use DAC-AMP (or maybe a non-expensive portable one in the future). Using straight from Macbook Air and maybe new iPod nano as a new portable device (portable player absent in the moment).
I listen to classical musics. I love both chamber and orchestral. I still listen to some Jpop, Jazz and audiophile.

The issue that I concern is about fatigue, comfortability and soundstage.
I've tried ED8 for 2 times. Tasting them only for few minutes, I have no problem with them.
But I'm not sure about ES5, becasue no one has such a demo here. I can neither listen nor test their comfortability during wearing.

And the most scary thing is the fatigue. For me SA5000 is too fatigue. I can't tolerate them.

Soundstage is another issue I worry. It should be better to have a large room and relax than a small room and feel compressed and sick.

Thank you

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 6
I have no problem with fatigue on the ED 8... It´s not at all as trebly as the SA5000 though still quite trebly. Particularly out of my Ipod touch 3G.The clamping sometimes gets to me after some hours. Maybe go to the store in early morning and camp some with them if possible for endurance testing? Like the Pro 900 it does well at low volume levels so don´t expect much of a problem here :)

It´s perhaps not the classical headphone for classical but a solid allrounder. JH13 is quite popular here for iems may want to investigate them.
Those you should be able to get an idea about looking in the for sale forum what they go at. There is several ED 8s in there as well.

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 6
you'd better go for the ciem,cuz for my ears the ED8 sound like cheap headphones unamped.JH13 or JH16 are far better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back