Ultrasone Edition 8
Oct 30, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #1,292 of 2,099
Are there substancial differences among versions regarding fingerprints?

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #1,293 of 2,099
My LE get fingerprints all the time hehe. They get fingerprints really easy IMHO.

I just clean them sometimes, they are just beautiful with our without fingerprints. But i DO seethe fingerprints a lot :p

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #1,295 of 2,099

Quote:
Ordered a brand new Burson HA-160! Will report back on combining it with the Ed. 8
smily_headphones1.gif

VERY interested in this. Can't wait to see what you think of the synergy. 

Oct 30, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #1,300 of 2,099

Quote:
Are there substancial differences among versions regarding fingerprints?

After having all three versions in my possession: YES!

The standard Rutheniums, by far, accrue them the easiest and prints are the most noticeable.  The finish is strikingly beautiful in its perfection, but no matter how hard I tried to handle them by the earpads and aluminum bits I would always have at least a few apparent prints on them after every use.  Cleaning them after a listening session was routine for as long as I owned them.  Fortunately, this excessive wiping with the supplied cloth doesn't seem to have any adverse effects as they looked as perfect on the day I sold them as on the day I received them.  I personally think they're the most beautiful of the three, but the way they triggered my selective OCD just became too much.

I only owned the Limited Edition for a short time as I wasn't pleased with the condition in which they arrived, but I was able to gather some insight into their fingerprint attenuation principles.  Overall, I was able to handle them with more confidence than the standard version.  They're not nearly as apparent as with the glossy Ruthenium, but they still do get them.  They don't really get those glancing smudges, but they do get prints if you put your fingers/palms directly on the cups.  What I found particularly interesting was how it took some effort to "scrub" away prints with the supplied cloth whereas just a quick once-over on the standards did the trick without fail.  Whether or not this is an issue in the long run I can't say.

My current iteration, the Palladium, is definitely the most livable of the three.  The glossy topcoat still exhibits prints and smudges, but seemingly only if you tilt them around and look for them.  They're not anything that you notice in passing like the other two and you can even get away with just wiping prints away with your thumb if you don't feel like reaching for the cloth.  I've only given them a full wipe down a few times since receiving them.  In my opinion it's the least elegant looking of the three, but I was still taken aback by how beautiful the finish is when I received them.  The brushed styling is actually quite nice in person and the straight ceramic inlay doesn't look "cheap" as I anticipated.

Oct 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,301 of 2,099
I ordered my Ruthenium online.

Opening the box I was shocked to see they are mirror like shining... 
frown.gif
 in most pictures they look darkish...

Then I came to this thread for a second look at the pictures and found the squeak "problem"... manipulating them I noticed mine also make those noises... 
mad.gif

But the truth is that I really have to manipulate, almost twist them, to get a small squeak. On my head they are dead silent. And that's what counts. 
rolleyes.gif

And on my head the sound, the music, is very, very good. Amazing considering that they are plugged directly into my MacBookAir. 
dt880smile.png

I also have Grado RS1i and Beyer T1. These Ultrasone, are exceptional.

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #1,302 of 2,099

VERY interested in this. Can't wait to see what you think of the synergy. 

I'm still burning it in and deciding what sort of change in sound quality it brings to the table. So far, I noticed that it's actually really revealing of my DAC's sound signature.

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,303 of 2,099

Quote:
I'm still burning it in and deciding what sort of change in sound quality it brings to the table. So far, I noticed that it's actually really revealing of my DAC's sound signature.

Interesting. About to pull the trigger on some Burson products myself. What DAC are you using? And you're feeding into the HA-160 standalone amp? 

I've heard fantastic things about the DAC as well (negligible difference when compared to Bufallo 32S), may just put up the cash for the combo + pre-amp. 

Looking forward to first impressions. Not much info on mid/hi-fi amps + Ed8. 

Edit: I would think if it's revealing of your source, that's good, right? It's letting you hear it all...

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,304 of 2,099
Interesting. About to pull the trigger on some Burson products myself. What DAC are you using? And you're feeding into the HA-160 standalone amp? 

I've heard fantastic things about the DAC as well (negligible difference when compared to Bufallo 32S), may just put up the cash for the combo + pre-amp. 

Looking forward to first impressions. Not much info on mid/hi-fi amps + Ed8. 

Edit: I would think if it's revealing of your source, that's good, right? It's letting you hear it all...

I'm using my X-Fi Titanium HD as a DAC and I have also tried my Pico USB DAC as well. Yes, I have the HA-160 amp only.

By being revealing of the source, it's hard to say what the amp itself sounds like. At first I thought it was a bit thin on the bass, but in reality it's my sound card. The Pico gives it more bass.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #1,305 of 2,099
Need your expert opinion.

I've taken a minimalist approach to audio lately. And I trimmed my system down to FLACs, Dacport and ED9. Now I am experimenting with audiogalaxy and iPhone4. So far I am liking the un-amped Z1000. I am thinking about selling the ED9 to get ED8. The ED8 will share time between FLAC > Dacport and audiogalaxy > iPhone4. What do you guys think?

My perfect scenario would be ED9 SQ in Z1000 package (light weight, comfort, robust construction) that sounds good un-amped. ED8 seems to fit the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back