Ultrasone Edition 8
Oct 7, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #1,186 of 2,099
SoundFreak, I've experienced similar fit issues. The seal often breaks at the bottom where the cups are seated at my jaw. I find that turning or tilting my head can break the seal pretty easily.

I've been adjusting the headband position on the top of my head and the cup position height to get it dialed in. The headband is pretty resistant to bending, but it can be bent outward if needed with some patience and diligence, and that can help with the fit. The sound is also affected by the inward/forward or outward/back tilt of the cups. I find that I prefer the sound with the cups tilted outward so that the pressure is greater on the rear of the pads. It has been getting better as I wear them in, but I'm still moving them around a lot. The Edition 8 requires consistent effort to maintain the sweet spot if you aren't sitting still, so if you're moving or walking around, be prepared to fidget with them to keep them where they feel and sound best. I agree that that can be frustrating to constantly be adjusting the cups.

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #1,188 of 2,099
SoundFreak, I've experienced similar fit issues. The seal often breaks at the bottom where the cups are seated at my jaw. I find that turning or tilting my head can break the seal pretty easily.

I've been adjusting the headband position on the top of my head and the cup position height to get it dialed in. The headband is pretty resistant to bending, but it can be bend outward if needed with some patience and diligence, and that can help with the fit. The sound is also affected by the inward/forward or outward/back tilt of the cups. I find that I prefer the sound with the cups tilted outward so that the pressure is greater on the rear of the pads. It has been getting better as I wear them in, but I'm still moving them around a lot. I've found that the Edition 8 requires consistent effort to maintain the sweet spot if you aren't sitting still. If you're moving or walking around, be prepared to fidget with them to keep them where they feel and sound best. I agree that that can be a frustrating to constantly be adjusting the cups.

Hey, come represent the Ed. 8 in the post pics of your office setup thread! :)

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #1,189 of 2,099
Quote:
This is more venting than anything else, but good lord does the Edition 8 take forever to break in!  I've had them hooked up to the desktop running 24/7 since last Saturday and they're still noticeably inferior to the well-worn Ruthenium I sold... PAINFULLY so.  Don't get me wrong, they still sound good, but they're severely lacking in clarity and dynamics with a definitively more closed-in presentation when compared to my old pair with hours of use ranging in the quadruple digits.  I can say in confidence that those who believe that burn-in is a myth have never owned an Edition 8.  Also, this is my first time hearing an Edition 8 that hasn't been thoroughly used.  Perhaps the contrasting opinions of this headphone is due at least in part to the amount of hours the pairs demoed have accrued?

I'm thinking that I'll be keeping my cheating to a minimum and running them in for the next few weeks.  I've just had them cycling through a variety of content (staying away from the dissonant stuff) on medium volume but think that I may change to frequency sweeps and pink noise as I've done in the past.  Has anyone found the latter to provide faster results?

Sorry for the lack of updates, but there haven't been any.  I've surprisingly resisted the urge to cheat at all since my last post, but seeing as how I now have in excess of 500 hours worth of pink noise (made the switch after making the quoted post) I decided to take them out of the office and do some listening today.  From memory, the change from 120 hours is dramatic and immediately noticeable.  They've opened up considerably with a larger, more cohesive soundstage and are much more revealing of micro details.  Dynamics are also much better with bass that's much less bloated (still not as articulate as the old pair, but getting there and still very nice) and much more punchy.  They sound a bit "excited" at times, but they're not exhibiting any sort of discernible veil or excess grain.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the progress these have made thus far.  They're still not to the level my old pair were, but they seem to be well on their way.  Since I'm happy with their sound and am getting those familiar audio-induced chills again, I'm going to start giving these head time more regularly.  However, when not in use I'm planning on running more burn-in noise until they reach 1200 hours or so.

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #1,190 of 2,099
would anyone say that these headphone's are the best closed headphones? what's better in this price range, more specifically something with an insane amount of detail?

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #1,191 of 2,099

Quote:
would anyone say that these headphone's are the best closed headphones? what's better in this price range, more specifically something with an insane amount of detail?

Best Closed Headphones: R10 (Bass- Heavy) 
tongue.gif

IMO, both the HD800 and T1 have higher theoretical limits (as in better and better equipment will make them sound even more better) compared to Ed 8, and the LCD2 rev 2 can also reach to impressive heights. But they're open. If you're really really into detail, and are willing to sacrifice some "naturalness" the sound, I'd steer you towards the T5p, a closed back "sibling" to the T1. If you don't care closed or open, the HD800 rules in terms of detail.

Really, as some have found, the T5p may be better for you in that price range, because it is simply more revealing.

JB

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #1,192 of 2,099

Quote:

No, I can think no better "closed" headphone in this price range.
Most of the top tier headphones are open design instead of closed design.
So far, in this concern, Edition 8 may be the only choice if we wish for closed design.
But...... if isolation is your concern, I would rather recommend custom IEMs which would offer far better isolation than any closed headphone and also provide at least the same amount of detail. Yet IEMs may not be everyone's taste.

Anyway, I keep both with my self. So there is no problem for me :)

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #1,194 of 2,099
The Etymotic ER4 come out on top for detail, clarity, imaging, and isolation, even through the iPhone. The Ultrasones give a fuller sound and more low end impact when the fit is right. I use the Ultrasones when I will be removing them often because it's more convenient than pulling out and reinserting the Etymotics, but the Etymotics outperform the Ultrasones in a lot of ways for portable, ampless listening.

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #1,195 of 2,099

Quote:

The best closed headphones in production IMO...absolutely. They isolate better than any I've heard and sound incredible.
L3000.gif

Quote:
The Etymotic ER4 come out on top for detail, clarity, imaging, and isolation, even through the iPhone. The Ultrasones give a fuller sound and more low end impact when the fit is right. I use the Ultrasones when I will be removing them often because it's more convenient than pulling out and reinserting the Etymotics, but the Etymotics outperform the Ultrasones in a lot of ways for portable, ampless listening.

If by more details you mean tipped  up treble to give that impression, then sure. But I couldn't stand my ER-4P (w/ S adapter) when I owned them. Simply very far from what I consider natural sounding.

Oct 10, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #1,196 of 2,099
Guys, I recabled my Ed-8 but also decided to do a partial kees mod, sticky felt on the outer side of the mu metal.  I did it on left side, listen to it, then both.  It seemed to have smoothen the treble. Ear pad was very simple to take out, just peel back and the pad comes off, the cloth you gently pull out starting from the top.  

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #1,197 of 2,099
ok so im not really a bass head I care for neutral sound and detail, so would the t5 be good, how would you rate the ed'8 in terms of detail

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #1,199 of 2,099
Guys,

Last night I finally received my P-51 portable amp and LOD and fired everything up with my Edition 8. Everything sounded incredibly wonderful until I put on some bass-heavy music. Because of the pure richness in the low end the amp added to the sound (vs. the iPhone headphone out), I could barely get to a moderate listening level before massive low-end distortion. Outrageously disappointing. A/B'ing between the iPhone out and the amp, I can get it much louder, all the way up with the iPhone as the low-end is much thinner, but when I approach that level with the amp, the Edition 8 crumble in distortion. My normal top listening level is two clicks lower than full from the iPhone. This is by no means a loud or brain-blasting level. But with the amp, I can't even get close to the equivalent of the iPhone headphone out at near top volume. 

What's your experience?

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #1,200 of 2,099
Ed.8 is already known as one of the best portable headphones. IMO it's desired to sound amazing straight out of iphone (the max, volume isnt that bad). So I wouldnt be surprised a portable amp would mess up the sound since it's used for those headphones that are hard to drive on Iphones. Ed.8's bass is already punchy and deep.Sometimes I even need to eq the bass to turn it down a bit (I thought of understand why some people would say Ed.8 bass can be bloated sometimes). It could be you have got the amp doesnt match Ed.8 or it could also be the amp isnt powerful enough. Maybe try a portable amp with bass control function.

Quote:
Guys,

Last night I finally received my P-51 portable amp and LOD and fired everything up with my Edition 8. Everything sounded incredibly wonderful until I put on some bass-heavy music. Because of the pure richness in the low end the amp added to the sound (vs. the iPhone headphone out), I could barely get to a moderate listening level before massive low-end distortion. Outrageously disappointing. A/B'ing between the iPhone out and the amp, I can get it much louder, all the way up with the iPhone as the low-end is much thinner, but when I approach that level with the amp, the Edition 8 crumble in distortion. My normal top listening level is two clicks lower than full from the iPhone. This is by no means a loud or brain-blasting level. But with the amp, I can't even get close to the equivalent of the iPhone headphone out at near top volume. 

What's your experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back