Ultrasone Edition 8
Oct 12, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #1,201 of 2,099
Which gain setting are you using on the P51?

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #1,202 of 2,099
I tried both low and medium. As you would expect, with medium, I hit higher levels and thus the distortion sooner on the way up. I still get solid distortion on the low setting, which won't even drive the headphones to the level an iPhone will. 

Edit: Tupac0306, while I agree that it sounds good out of the iPhone and it's a great portable as is, I've heard the E8 scales nicely with an amp. I don't need more gain than the iPhone out, just a cleaner sound that an amp can provide. This amp is pretty powerful for the low impedance E8. 
Quote:
Which gain setting are you using on the P51?

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #1,203 of 2,099
I have no idea how loud you listen, but I have never had that issue.  You should ask RSA about it.  With a current-gen Nano, the P51 drives the Ed 8 very clean and very loud, for me.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #1,204 of 2,099
I will ask RSA, thanks for the input. I'm very sensitive to my hearing and never play headphones too loud that it could damage my hearing. I can get much louder with other phones. 

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #1,205 of 2,099

Quote:
I will ask RSA, thanks for the input. I'm very sensitive to my hearing and never play headphones too loud that it could damage my hearing. I can get much louder with other phones. 

i see you have pro 900s , they are the same as the edition 8s, but i turn the pro 900s up more.

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #1,206 of 2,099

Quote:
... With a current-gen Nano, the P51 drives the Ed 8 very clean and very loud, for me.

You like the 7th gen Nano SQ? How's it compare to the iPhone's Cirrus DAC? Or is it the same one?

Also, a general question about headphones, with my E8 in mind... when you push a headphone driver to the point of distortion, are you actually causing damage to it at that point? Or is it just letting you know it's at the limit and to back down. From what I understand you literally have to rip a cone or melt some wires to cause damage. 

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #1,207 of 2,099
I'm wondering if is worth getting a LOD+E6 for my iPhone, or just straight out of headphone jack for Ed 8...

Oct 12, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #1,208 of 2,099

Quote:
I'm wondering if is worth getting a LOD+E6 for my iPhone, or just straight out of headphone jack for Ed 8...

I tell you what. I got to hear first hand last night what people mean about the E8 scaling nicely with amps. Yeah, it sounds great out of the iPhone, but an amp just adds something really nice. It's blissful. With my P-51, the bass was so much more rich, the detail increased dramatically, the mids came forward, and the highs smoothed out into a lush state. Very noticeably so. Highly recommended. 

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #1,209 of 2,099

Quote:
You like the 7th gen Nano SQ? How's it compare to the iPhone's Cirrus DAC? Or is it the same one?

Also, a general question about headphones, with my E8 in mind... when you push a headphone driver to the point of distortion, are you actually causing damage to it at that point? Or is it just letting you know it's at the limit and to back down. From what I understand you literally have to rip a cone or melt some wires to cause damage. 

I like the Nano + P51 for the very small combined size :)  The sound with a LOD is good enough for portable use.

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #1,210 of 2,099

Quote:
I like the Nano + P51 for the very small combined size :)  The sound with a LOD is good enough for portable use.

and for a sub $100 very small pocket with iPhone4? :)

Oct 12, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #1,211 of 2,099
Indeed.  I have gotten lazy, and on many business trips I just bring my Sony NC headphones and iPhone/iPad.

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #1,212 of 2,099

Quote:
Guys,

Last night I finally received my P-51 portable amp and LOD and fired everything up with my Edition 8. Everything sounded incredibly wonderful until I put on some bass-heavy music. Because of the pure richness in the low end the amp added to the sound (vs. the iPhone headphone out), I could barely get to a moderate listening level before massive low-end distortion. Outrageously disappointing. A/B'ing between the iPhone out and the amp, I can get it much louder, all the way up with the iPhone as the low-end is much thinner, but when I approach that level with the amp, the Edition 8 crumble in distortion. My normal top listening level is two clicks lower than full from the iPhone. This is by no means a loud or brain-blasting level. But with the amp, I can't even get close to the equivalent of the iPhone headphone out at near top volume. 

What's your experience?

Yikes...I guess I'll scratch the P-51 off my want to listen to list. My Ed. 8LE works very well with my iBasso D4...I guess I'll sit tight with it.

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #1,213 of 2,099
my ed8 sounds good out of my practical devices xm6.  It brings out the mids obviously, but without the amp, the bass sounds tighter.  

Id say i do about 50/50 depending on what im listening to.

If i am listening to one song, I wont use the amp, but if i am listening for longer than 30 minutes, ill use the amp.  

Using the amp is definitely better,it gives that wow factor,  but there is a likeability about not using an amp i also like. 

The change is small if your not listening, but if you are listening the change is awesome.  Difference between good and great.

Would i own the ED8 without an amp? of course.

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #1,214 of 2,099

Quote:
Yikes...I guess I'll scratch the P-51 off my want to listen to list. My Ed. 8LE works very well with my iBasso D4...I guess I'll sit tight with it.

It's not the amp! In fact, the P-51 is a really great pairing with E8. With anything other than brain-blasting bass-heavy tracks, the E8 is fine. And I'm still able to get descent volume with tracks with heavy bass. It's the E8 that can't handle the bass. Not only should you consider the P-51, but it should be on a short consideration list for purchase. A great amp that has great synergy with the E8. Skylab is a fan too. He helped me make my final decision. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #1,215 of 2,099
In your experience, what's a good hard carrying case for Edition 8?

I want a case I can put in my laptop backpack. I'm not that confident to do that with the leather bag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back