Ultrasone Edition 8
Oct 17, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #1,231 of 2,099
I was in the same situation so I got the concerto, great w/ lcd2 and edition 8.  Concerto really makes the edition 8 shine, also does a very very good job w/ the lcd2.

Lyr is slightly better w/ the lcd2, but I haven't been able to get rid of the hiss on my lyr w/ any tubes.  W/ edition 8 I haven't tried it, but I would imagine the hiss for me would be unbearable.  

Quote:
Did a direct A/B test with of the X-Fi HD headphone out vs Pico DAC + Voyager. The Pico DAC + portable amp combo sounds noticeably better, it has better bass impact and it's a lot less sibilant. I'm pretty sure that it's the amp.
This revived my desire to buy a full-size amp, but I'm still unsure what I should get. I'm planning on buying the LCD-2 rev2, so the Lyr + tubes would be the clear choice well within my budget, however I don't want to damage my Ed. 8. Any suggestions?
I would really like something that can drive the LCD-2 to its full potential and also work with my Ed. 8. Or do I need two separate amps? I would much rather spend $1,000 on one amp that can drive both than two times $500.
I'll ask this question in the LCD-2 amp thread, but not a lot of people there have the Ed. 8. How likely is it that an amp made for the LCD-2 other than the Lyr damages the Ed. 8 if used responsibly?
Then again, maybe if I get the LCD-2 + Lyr I'll only use my Ed. 8 at work. Is this likely if I don't need the isolation? Do movies sound good on the LCD-2? Are they not too heavy to be worn for many hours at a time? However, I do want to hear how the Ed. 8 will scale with a good full-size amp.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #1,232 of 2,099

Quote:
I'll ask this question in the LCD-2 amp thread, but not a lot of people there have the Ed. 8. How likely is it that an amp made for the LCD-2 other than the Lyr damages the Ed. 8 if used responsibly?
Then again, maybe if I get the LCD-2 + Lyr I'll only use my Ed. 8 at work. Is this likely if I don't need the isolation? Do movies sound good on the LCD-2? Are they not too heavy to be worn for many hours at a time? However, I do want to hear how the Ed. 8 will scale with a good full-size amp.

Actually I want to know about this too.

I have Lyr for LCD-2 (for home), but I'm also interested how Lyr behaves with Ed8.

I have Fiio E10 for work + soon-to-be-purchased-Ed8, but someone has tested Ed 8 with Lyr?

I read that some guy tried to kill ebuddies with Lyr, but that Lyr sends voltage on demand, so was not possible.

But, better safe than sorry. Maybe you should ask Jason from Schiit?

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #1,233 of 2,099
Okay i just tried it, my edition 8's survived.

They sound pretty good, the hiss isn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I imagine the combo will sound excellent..... but seemed a bit risky cuz as the lyr starts up there is a pop, which i fear will damage ed8s (I knew this but If i was careless) and while listening I felt like it was pushing the limits at less than half volume.  I only listened for like a minute, but I couldn't appreciate much different w/ ed8 on concerto.  The lcd2 although has been well documented as being slightly better on the lyr.

If you just want 1 amp, wait for jan's concerto replacement is my advice.

Quote:
Actually I want to know about this too.

I have Lyr for LCD-2 (for home), but I'm also interested how Lyr behaves with Ed8.

I have Fiio E10 for work + soon-to-be-purchased-Ed8, but someone has tested Ed 8 with Lyr?

I read that some guy tried to kill ebuddies with Lyr, but that Lyr sends voltage on demand, so was not possible.

But, better safe than sorry. Maybe you should ask Jason from Schiit?

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #1,234 of 2,099

Quote:
I was in the same situation so I got the concerto, great w/ lcd2 and edition 8.  Concerto really makes the edition 8 shine, also does a very very good job w/ the lcd2.

Lyr is slightly better w/ the lcd2, but I haven't been able to get rid of the hiss on my lyr w/ any tubes.  W/ edition 8 I haven't tried it, but I would imagine the hiss for me would be unbearable.   

Great comments and not just because I completely agree with you (owned the Concerto and still own the Lyr...and both the LCD-2s and Ed.8LEs).

BTW...Please DO NOT plug your Ed. 8s into your Lyr. A few of us (at least myself and another Head-fier) had their Ed. 8s blow with the Lyr (not 100% sure that it was the Lyr...but a little too coincidental for me). Way too much power for these very efficient headphones.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #1,235 of 2,099

Yea i know they great comments, cuz I came to that conclusion from some of your posts...

Yea I remember reading that somewhere... my eds survived
Quote:
Great comments and not just because I completely agree with you (owned the Concerto and still own the Lyr...and both the LCD-2s and Ed.8LEs).

BTW...Please DO NOT plug your Ed. 8s into your Lyr. A few of us (at least myself and another Head-fier) had their Ed. 8s blow with the Lyr (not 100% sure that it was the Lyr...but a little too coincidental for me). Way too much power for these very efficient headphones.

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,236 of 2,099

Cool, I think I'll get the Burson HA-160D since it corresponds better to my sound signature tastes than the Concerto from what I read. I want the "meaty" Burson sound :)

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #1,237 of 2,099
Hmm...

Thanks MacedonianHero!

I won't use Ed 8 with the Lyr then...

Since I already have the Lyr for the LCD-2 (with Lorenz tubes), I guess I will use Edition 8 only with my Fiio E10 (for now, I don't have money to buy a better amp/dac)

That leaves Stepdance 15V, Headstage Arrow, SR71B (single ended), or Alo Rx MK3 for Edition 8 for next year

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #1,238 of 2,099
Gonna be getting the Edition 8's tomorrow.

Any final words and things I should know before the credit card is tortured??

Just wondering which would be more value for money and sound quality, a 1k Custom IEM or the Ed8s :S

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #1,239 of 2,099

Quote:

Just wondering which would be more value for money and sound quality, a 1k Custom IEM or the Ed8s :S

How much? You buying them locally or online?

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #1,240 of 2,099

Quote:

Don't... do... it?

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #1,241 of 2,099
I can't disclose the price. The local distributor made me a great offer. One that I've got countless of sleepless nights thinking about.
But at that range is also the JH16 I guess??  more or less.

Coming from the venerable GR07 and TF10 and ShureSe530...  and the B&W p5..  to the Ed8s ..  hmmmmm

or a Customs..  I've heard the JH16 and I'm rather impressed with them....  as I am with the UM Miracles..

Ed8 didn't exactly impress me when I auditioned them for like 10mins...  but I've been lusting for them since forever!

Oct 20, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #1,242 of 2,099

Quote:
I can't disclose the price. The local distributor made me a great offer. One that I've got countless of sleepless nights thinking about.
But at that range is also the JH16 I guess??  more or less.

Coming from the venerable GR07 and TF10 and ShureSe530...  and the B&W p5..  to the Ed8s ..  hmmmmm

or a Customs..  I've heard the JH16 and I'm rather impressed with them....  as I am with the UM Miracles..

Ed8 didn't exactly impress me when I auditioned them for like 10mins...  but I've been lusting for them since forever!

I owned the ed.8 and sold them, IMO fun at the beginning distorted in the long run. The customs you mention and I would add the Earsonics EM3pro's, will give you much better sound for the buck. With the ed8's you are buying an object of desire, with the customs a professional musical instrument....

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #1,244 of 2,099
If you never wanna get custom IEMs. go for it. If you will get a Custom in the future. I suggest you don't rush. Cuz Ed.8 is only a excellent headphone for portable use compared to those top class high end headphones.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back