Ultrasone Edition 8
Sep 22, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #1,156 of 2,099
This is more venting than anything else, but good lord does the Edition 8 take forever to break in!  I've had them hooked up to the desktop running 24/7 since last Saturday and they're still noticeably inferior to the well-worn Ruthenium I sold... PAINFULLY so.  Don't get me wrong, they still sound good, but they're severely lacking in clarity and dynamics with a definitively more closed-in presentation when compared to my old pair with hours of use ranging in the quadruple digits.  I can say in confidence that those who believe that burn-in is a myth have never owned an Edition 8.  Also, this is my first time hearing an Edition 8 that hasn't been thoroughly used.  Perhaps the contrasting opinions of this headphone is due at least in part to the amount of hours the pairs demoed have accrued?

I'm thinking that I'll be keeping my cheating to a minimum and running them in for the next few weeks.  I've just had them cycling through a variety of content (staying away from the dissonant stuff) on medium volume but think that I may change to frequency sweeps and pink noise as I've done in the past.  Has anyone found the latter to provide faster results?

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #1,157 of 2,099
L

IMO they are on different levels, for sure, but since I'm not so enamored with the S-Logic presentation, I don't think the sound is a drastic improvement. Dallan, you seem to not like planar magnetics >

Not so much. But I can understand those who do. I was buying a pair and even bought an amp to match them which I still have. I use it on different phones of course.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #1,158 of 2,099

Quote:
This is more venting than anything else, but good lord does the Edition 8 take forever to break in!  I've had them hooked up to the desktop running 24/7 since last Saturday and they're still noticeably inferior to the well-worn Ruthenium I sold... PAINFULLY so.  Don't get me wrong, they still sound good, but they're severely lacking in clarity and dynamics with a definitively more closed-in presentation when compared to my old pair with hours of use ranging in the quadruple digits.  I can say in confidence that those who believe that burn-in is a myth have never owned an Edition 8.  Also, this is my first time hearing an Edition 8 that hasn't been thoroughly used.  Perhaps the contrasting opinions of this headphone is due at least in part to the amount of hours the pairs demoed have accrued?

I'm thinking that I'll be keeping my cheating to a minimum and running them in for the next few weeks.  I've just had them cycling through a variety of content (staying away from the dissonant stuff) on medium volume but think that I may change to frequency sweeps and pink noise as I've done in the past.  Has anyone found the latter to provide faster results?

Perhaps the drivers aren't matched as well as they were on your other pair?

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #1,160 of 2,099
I think I read that they were matching the drivers to each other with tighter tolerances with the LE models, so just thought that I would throw that out there. Probably not true though.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,161 of 2,099
Yeah I also read a post where someone said that the LE's have more carefully selected, better-matched drivers.  Was this confirmed somewhere?  If it's true, I'm guessing Ultrasone doesn't want to publicize it--all of us who shelled out $1500 for "not-so-carefully-matched" drivers would be upset.

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #1,163 of 2,099
I tried listening for any differences and the Palladium and Ruthenium versions at work, and FWIW both sounded very very similar, and any differences were more likely due to burn-in differences.

SoundFreaq, Erik said that the LE ETA is at worst 2 weeks, but I'm not sure how it'll work for the Ruthieniums you ordered.

I'm itching to receive my pair!
JB

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,164 of 2,099

Quote:
SoundFreaq, Erik said that the LE ETA is at worst 2 weeks, but I'm not sure how it'll work for the Ruthieniums you ordered.

I'm itching to receive my pair!
JB

Thanks for the updates, I appreciate that. I assumed they were all shipping together from Germany. I'll give Erik a call today since it's been over a week since we've chatted and ask him about the Ruthies vs LE timing. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #1,165 of 2,099

Quote:
Thanks for the updates, I appreciate that. I assumed they were all shipping together from Germany. I'll give Erik a call today since it's been over a week since we've chatted and ask him about the Ruthies vs LE timing. 

In their page says they have LE in stock... why they are not sending you the LE from there?

Keep us updated plz :)

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #1,166 of 2,099
Interesting. I just got an e-mail from RMC saying my order is complete and shipping via FedEx! I guess the LEs and Ruthies weren't on the same truck. Weird showing LEs in stock. Maybe RMC updated the wrong one online? Or maybe the LEs are there too! I hope for JB's sake they are. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #1,167 of 2,099
RMC does have the LEs in stock, but from what I'm aware, refurbished versions that had the case and wood pit issue from before.

JB

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #1,168 of 2,099
Mine are officially shipped! Very excited. I'm sorry JB for getting your hopes up for the 29th. I shouldn't have assumed. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #1,169 of 2,099
Question for gamers here...

How do Edition 8 perform with MixAmp for FPS games?

I have K702 and they are amazing. I owned DT990 and also was great for gaming.

Any experienced ppl here with mixamp+edition 8?

Thanks!

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #1,170 of 2,099
I've been wondering why do my Ed. 8's sometimes sound really good and other times they sound average. I think I know why now.

If I move the cups forward, so that they are touching the rear of my ears, it really messes up the bass. It sounds like I'm in a tin can. However, if I center them on my ears, they sound really good.

Kinda sucks that the positioning of cups is so important for these headphones, I guess I have to be careful to put them on right every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back