Ultrasone Edition 8 vs. Beyerdynamic T5P, anybody?
Oct 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #16 of 38
Kiteki owned the A2000x...  and now has the T5p..  so wait for ..  Kiteki to comment on them!

I own the Edition 8s.. maybe we could do a side-by-side comparison but..  I'm not even sure if Kiteki is still in Melbourne :p

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #17 of 38

Quote:
Umm. Any other comparison reviews? I'm getting conflicting impressions. Which one is better in terms of portability (which one's better for ipod), comfort, and sound quality for classical music listener?

I will say it again, for rock and pop lovers the ed.8's will be preferred by most due to their colored bass emphasis, for discreet or orchestral electronic, modern composition, jazz, free jazz, improv, avant-garde and classical the t5p is a much better headphone, they are more natural, open and reproduce acoustic space far more accurately than the ed8's which are terribly unnatural, but I guess bass always wins to fidelity in this forum....

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #18 of 38

Quote:
I will say it again, for rock and pop lovers the ed.8's will be preferred by most due to their colored bass emphasis, for discreet or orchestral electronic, modern composition, jazz, free jazz, improv, avant-garde and classical the t5p is a much better headphone, they are more natural, open and reproduce acoustic space far more accurately than the ed8's which are terribly unnatural, but I guess bass always wins to fidelity in this forum....

In your opinion, of course.  If people compare two headphones, the one with the perceived greater bass emphasis has the less fidelity?  Solid logic. 
Bass always wins over fidelity?  Since when did it become a competition, with a bass vs fidelity 2 horse race.  You prefer the T5p over the ED8 for "jazz, free jazz, improv, avant-garde and classical", that's an opinion, you write it as a fact.  I don't think everyone agrees with your fact, but of course they are all bass heads that haven't got a clue with regards to fidelity.

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #19 of 38
I was about to return t5p (actually boxed them, but reconsidered as I still had time), and in fact that was my wife who persuaded me to keep them as they were so much richer and more detailed with some classical recordings than DT 1350. And in a week or two, 6-7 weeks in use, they really "opened up", so I'm quite content that I kept them. That happened about the moment when I had decided to get Edition 8. After all I got  Edition 8 Ltd, and it's with me for a few days now.
With some of the classical Edition 8 are not very impressive - but not a major disappointment either. It goes better with the Apple sound than t5p - which goes fine with sansa Fuze; Still Ed 8 Ltd goes fine with Sansa, too. I prefer Ultrasones with pop/ rock (Simon & Garfunkel, Boston, Blood Sweat and Tears, AC/DC), - but beyers were fine, too. I expect the Ultrasones to change for better too, - then they indeed could outperform beyerdynamic.
Both phones ar usable on the go - beyers are bigger, but they have an understated design; ultrasones, while smaller and lighter, are somewhat more noticeable. Both are sensitive enough for 2nd gen Shuffle and Sansa Fuze, but they may benefit from a better amplification. mechanical build is quite similar, and so is comfort (for me). At the moment I can say beyers have an edge - but recalling how they sounded 2-6 weeks ago, and considering that I have had ultrasones only for a couple of days, I withhold any conclusions for the moment.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #20 of 38
After listening to an Ed8 Ruthenium for a few days, I'd have to side w/the T5p for this matchup. Yes, the Ed8 has much more pronounced bass but whatever frequency cymbals usually come in at is accentuated too much and sounds really grating. The mids sound a bit recessed as well and the highs can occasionally seem too thin, mechanical and unnatural. I much prefer the fuller, musical quality of the mids and highs on the T5p over the pulsing beat of the Ed8. Especially since any music w/cymbals or steel string guitar just makes my ears bleed.

Obviously YMMV but that's how I hear these two. =)

Feb 29, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #21 of 38
Quite the news flash for me... i was about to pull the trigger on a pair of ed8s but now see this thread. Which would you guys say it the best all around headphone of the 2? I listen to a lot of different music, though not much pop, rap or folk.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #22 of 38
OP, which version of edition 8 you are asking? You must tell us first so we can reply to you.  
confused.gif

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #23 of 38
[quote name="the fool" url="/t/521882/ultrasone-edition-8-vs-beyerdynamic-t5p-anybody/15#post_8187719"] OP, which version of edition 8 you are asking? You must tell us first so we can reply to you.  
confused.gif

[/quote] The only difference between the versions is the finish, no? And does the t5p fare as well from an ipod as the ed8?

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #25 of 38
I think the Ed8 has a better-balanced overall sound but there are some things that I previously mentioned that just doesn't sound right to me with them. The T5p has great clarity and I like the way the mids and highs sound but it has a very, very, very recessed sub-bass. Besides that the bass is sufficient for me, but may not be for those who enjoy a fuller sounding bass line.

Quote:
Quite the news flash for me... i was about to pull the trigger on a pair of ed8s but now see this thread. Which would you guys say it the best all around headphone of the 2? I listen to a lot of different music, though not much pop, rap or folk.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #26 of 38
This is such a strange comparison.  I haven't heard the T5P, though I have heard the Ed8, and from listening experience on one and readings on the other, they are far from competitors other than being top of the line closed cans.  It's almost like asking about the SR-60i vs. the XB-500.  Both the Ed8 and T5P on my short lists of endgame portable headphones though, as upgrades to my Pro 900 and SRH-940.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #27 of 38
I actually has an ED8 coming in this week. For me it is a very easy choice. I have an custom and HD800 sitting at home so I got all the nature stuff already going well with me.
But for most of the time, we know that most of the new CDs and recordings for pop and rock are done so unprofessionally (maybe they do use Beat Solo to remix the music :p) that using highly transparent audio equipment will kill your hearing. Unless you have an LCD2 or HD650, all the other high reveling cans will suffer form noise, sibilance and narrow close to none sound stage.

I mean, for portable cans, I think more about enjoyment and music itself. Most of the DAP we have only support up to CD level of sampling rate, most of us still listen to 320K mp3s. Thus owning an can that totally opposite to HD800 makes sense to me and it does brings me a lot of joy for my rock and pop collections. I have nothing against nature portable cans. In fact, I got an UERM, and for all the ppl that use it for pop and rock, you will know what I mean.

Well, It is just my own opinion, I think for those who own both cans, I am very interested in those details of differences. Like which recording you do the comparison, how is the high, mid and low differ. How is the sound stage representation differ. Or how is the tone of each instrument sound differ. In that way, it will give us a much clear picture about what we might get into.

Thanks

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #28 of 38
First off, I love my T5p's. However at times it's a love/hate relationship (in a good way). Headphones as dynamic and detailed as the T5p's can often require your attention in ways you weren't expecting. It's hard to just throw these headphones on and go about your day. The detail draws you in to the point where you just......listen. Other headphones mentioned in this thread (most I've had a chance to play with) do have that 'easier to listen to casually' feel but at the end of the day when I'm listening to headphones on this level I want to LISTEN TO EVERYTHING. To me, that's what my T5p's bring to the table.

Happy hunting

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #29 of 38
I have both now for 1/2 a year, along with some others (notably DT 1350 and HD-25-ii (Adidas - regulars seemed too dull-looking)), used mainly with Tera Player.
Both are great phones, but I must say that I need to be in a particular mood to pick T5P over Edition 8: if I am totally fed up with pop music, T5P is the obvious choice. However, if I am undecided, I go for Edition 8.
The thing is that Edition 8 give me the involvement, immersion into music. And I can think about the music and seek the detail, or think of anything else (work, private issues, people on the street - you name it),- and still be immersed in the music.
T5P do the same and more for classical (and jazz), yet they become quite demanding with pop music. For the lack of a better word, - they are a nuisance.  One must listen to them, and they wear the listener out. And if I don't really fee like it, I turn the volume down, - and they become clinical: the deep bass, which was moderate at its best, disappears altogether. And again T5P annoy me, - esp. when I recall that Edition 8 did not do that.
This being said, I am highly unlikely to sell T5P, as their performance with classical and jazz is outstanding. They just are not my daily beaters as Edition 8. If Edition 8 did not exist, T5P would have been my choice though.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #30 of 38
I didn't notice much talk about the physical aspects which are important for headphones:
  1. Ultrasone Edition 8 has a snug fitting, rather short headband that I need to max out. See "Ultrasone CEO Michael Willberg" with Ultrasone Edition 8 Ruthenium and pictures in http://www.headfonia.com/ultrasone-edition-8/. beyerdynamic T 5 p has a more normal full size head band with length to fit an even larger head than mine
  2. The cups of Ultrasone Edition 8 are mounted with ball points with limited movability (angles measured in degrees are small). The cups of beyerdynamic T 5 p has better movability around both axis, especially around the horisontal axis. This is important for some head shapes
  3. The Ultrasone Edition 8 earpads have rather small holes as described by Tyll Hertsens,while at HeadRoom: "while the earpieces are small and you have to tuck your ears into them". The cup depth are sufficient for my ears, but not the size of the hole. I must tuck as well. Protruding, funnel shaped ears may be an advantage. See pictures in http://www.headfonia.com/ultrasone-edition-8/. beyerdynamic T 5 p has good and sufficient cup depth for my ears and the holes are larger and more normal for full size headphones. My ears probably have normal size, but are placed parallell to the side of my head, and hence are the complete opposite of protruding ears
  4. The Ultrasone Edition 8 is (very) compact and light, especially for a headphone in this price range. beyerdynamic T 5 p is more normal, but there are larger full size headphones
  5. I don't believe Ultrasone Edition 8 is as robust as Ken Rockwell writes
  6. The cups of Ultrasone Edition 8 are made of plastic which is shown in the video below from 2:27 onwards

Positive Feedback ISSUE 53 january/february 2011 "The Headphone/Headphone Amp Roundup: A Humorous Pavin (*)" by Andy Schaub is interesting and covers both of these headphones in several of the systems/setups he describes.

This video is in Russian (or an other Eastern European language), but you will find the video in English at Ultrasone: "Ultrasone THE Headphone Company".

Much of the information above about Ultrasone Edition 8 was first written in the Norwegian forum thread "Ultrasone Edition og Signature". Use Google Translate if you don't read any of the Scandinavian languages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back