Ultrasone Edition 8 "Limited Edition"
Aug 29, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #346 of 461

Quote:
Well as i recall there have been a couple of comments about the box and it not being perfect, someone actually wanted me to send them picts of my hinges and such because theirs had the corrosion look but mine did too so they saw that and it was the last i heard of it.  My box sits up in the closet so i don't really care, i would have rather had the bag actually.  As far as my headphones, the inlays had a couple of imperfect areas too, like little potholes in the glossy finish not the wood.  Minor stuff, didn't really bother me, don't even notice it since I am wearing them or they are hanging and no one looks at them at all except me.  The most i get over here is a bit of smirks and headshakes when people see the headphones hanging.  No one really gets it that i know, so I wasn't that concerned with the tiny things i don't even look at while enjoying the sound.  I don't think that yours are a defect or anything really, but I hope you can get them to your liking Curly.

I completely agree with Dallan. I have had 2 LE so far and they are all just like that. That lock on the LE box is straight up crap (Its not even a real lock). Your pair and box is just fine curly ( No damage or defects at all). I believe you are looking into too much detail (But if you feel you need another one exchanged, then you have full right to do so).

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #347 of 461
Quick Question to anyone who owns ED8LE.

How are you guys keeping the leather (ear-pads and headband) in good condition. My brown color ear-pads are starting to turn blackish (I have been using this pair for 11 months now). See pic below:

They are still soft and comfy just as usual (since the first day), but I do want to take care of it. Therefore I was wondering if you guys are cleaning it with any special purpose cleaner (for Ethiopian sheep skin). Any suggestions are sincerely appreciated. If you can let me know how often are you applying it would also be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Aug 29, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #349 of 461
I use Lexol leather conditioner on mine. They turned darker brown from that, but far from black...

Aug 29, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #350 of 461
Mine too (darker brown), it's just due to the lighter brown leather up next to your skin over several months...I'm not worried about it. They still sound fantastic and generally have held up very well.

BTW, no issues with my wood inlays and box...all are thankfully perfect...in case anyone was taking a poll.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #351 of 461
As an update, RMC is being extremely helpful in this matter.  A representative contacted me today to let me know that he was waiting to hear back from a particular Ultrasone employee that he regularly deals with.  Through our conversation, it was uncovered that she's actually a direct subordinate of Randy Fuchs.  Another detail discussed was that the other LE that arrived as part of the same order as mine had apparently arrived in similar condition.  The owner had lodged a complaint over the weekend that paralleled mine.  This might lend credence to...

Quote:
I completely agree with Dallan. I have had 2 LE so far and they are all just like that. That lock on the LE box is straight up crap (Its not even a real lock). Your pair and box is just fine curly ( No damage or defects at all). I believe you are looking into too much detail (But if you feel you need another one exchanged, then you have full right to do so).

Fair enough, but I do find it interesting that if this is the case that it hasn't been discussed further.  Personally, I expect tighter tolerances for the expected investment.  I'm not bashing Ultrasone or questioning their business model, but if that's the case then I'm undeniably disappointed.  I could care less about the lock mechanism functioning, but as someone who paid what I consider a hefty sum (I am a frugal person despite my willing participation in this hobby) to a major manufacturer for a luxury product I do expect stricter than average quality tolerances. 

Quote:

BTW, no issues with my wood inlays and box...all are thankfully perfect...in case anyone was taking a poll.

This, however, is encouraging.  Still, if this is the exception to the aforementioned standard, then it would be a bit silly for me to get lucky on an exchange.  Other owners' impressions are, of course, very much welcome.

At any rate, I'm sure I'll be back in touch with RMC again tomorrow.  We've already discussed some potential options that I'm currently choosing not to disclose as I'm unsure how realistic they are at this point or how much of an exception they would need to make to accommodate, but no matter what the outcome I feel confident enough at this point to wholeheartedly recommend RMC Audio to anyone who's considering a headphone purchase.  I've been treated with nothing but the absolute highest level of respect so far and everything, from purchasing to issue resolution, has been an exceptionally professional and pleasant experience.  I'm thoroughly confident that a resolution will be reached that satisfies all parties involved.

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #353 of 461
I just got notified by RMC that my shipment has been delayed ("backordered") by Ultrasone for about 2 ~ 3 weeks. I have a suspicion that it might be related to the whole imperfections issue. Any thoughts?

JB

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #354 of 461
Quote:
I just got notified by RMC that my shipment has been delayed ("backordered") by Ultrasone for about 2 ~ 3 weeks. I have a suspicion that it might be related to the whole imperfections issue. Any thoughts?

JB

I doubt it's due to a few complaints.  After all, these are said to be hand-assembled headphones, so perhaps an influx of orders has caused delays.  In addition, I was also informed of this backorder today during my conversation with RMC and I can't say that this was even hinted at as a reason.  Ultrasone has orders to fill through numerous resellers and needs to fulfill their commitments to all of them to maintain relationships.

As an update to my wholly unfrustrating saga, I received a follow up call from the same helpful representative today. (withholding his name as I wouldn't want him to be overloaded with future requests as I'm sure they have multiple case workers)  There was some initial confusion as to the particulars of my issue, but we discussed a few options.  I did some thinking after what I read last night, browsed through more impressions, ad even gazed longingly at some pictures and comparison shots around the web.  I came to an ideal conclusion and, (un?)surprisingly, said rep jumped at the chance to accommodate my request.  As a matter of fact, he went even further than my offer without a second thought. (even brushing off a second attempt to "compromise" for their amazing service)  I won't publicly state what they're doing for me because, as stated in my previous post, I have no idea how much of an exception they're making for me.  Absolutely exceptional service... I can't recommend them enough.

To be vague but to the point, I'm ultimately going to end up with a Palladium as I originally intended.  I REALLY love the classy build of the Limited, but I know how picky I am and if there's more than a slight possibility that a new set would yield similar results to my original order then I'm not about to bother the wonderful folks at RMC with my superficial issues again or extend the lapse in my listening enjoyment of these amazing headphones.  In addition I absolutely love the idea of having the box (perhaps I'll order one of the black ones from Ultrasone, but that red thread...) and having wood inlays will be missed as I'm a huge fan of wood-cupped headphones (sexiest look available, in my opinion) and these give me a small taste of that.  In the end, though, I did admittedly betray myself a bit through the purchase of the Limited.  As detailed in a previous post, I personally deem the Palladiums to be the most pedestrian looking of the three available options for the Edition 8.  The most blue-collar.  But that fits me perfectly.  I described my outlook on these as a "tool" in which to fulfill my appreciation of music through and that's what the Palladium strikes me as over the other finishes.  I'm not saying it's not still gorgeous, it is, but I liken the original Ruthenium to a beautiful, high-end piano (perfectly crafted and tuned) while the Limited is like a showroom-new Rolls Royce Phantom. (top-notch luxury with excellent performance)  The Palladiums just can't touch the others in looks, but with identical performance and a finish that leans toward a bit more rugged in terms of everyday handling, it's ultimately the ideal fit for me personally... and the fact that it will match my other components soothes my OCD. :wink:

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #355 of 461
Congratulations on the decision! Curly, I'm happy that you got it worked out to a still very purty Palladium. I too, have received nothing but excellent service from RMC and would not hesitate to recommend them to anybody buying a pair of Ed8.

Meanwhile, I'm in for a long wait. :frowning2: Somebody help me pass the time!

JB

Aug 31, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #356 of 461
Quote:
Congratulations on the decision! Curly, I'm happy that you got it worked out to a still very purty Palladium. I too, have received nothing but excellent service from RMC and would not hesitate to recommend them to anybody buying a pair of Ed8.

Meanwhile, I'm in for a long wait.
frown.gif
Somebody help me pass the time!

JB

We're waiting together, my friend.  He was unsure of how long replenishment was going to take exactly, but he said that high volume has also caused the Palladiums to go on backorder.  I have no idea about the Rutheniums as we did not discuss them.  I did, however, offer up my theory as to why.  Competitive pricing... they're untouchable on these in that regard.  Oh, and I also blamed Head-Fi for spreading the word and encouraging others to open their wallets for an excessive luxury purchase. (or two... or three... CURSE YOU, HEAD-FI!!!)

Sep 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #357 of 461
Hey all,

I know you through reading every post about E8's on Head-fi over the past weeks, but you don't know me yet!

Just got off the phone with Bo over at RMC having made my order. He said my Ruthie's were 1-2 weeks backordered, and when I pressed a little more, he thought more like 2 weeks. This is in line with JoonBug's 2-3 weeks a week ago. Can't wait!

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #359 of 461
Just thought I'd stop in and say after looking giving both the phones and the box a good look, I'm not finding any of the aforementioned flaws.  The finish on the wood is thin enough that the grain shows through but there's no un-eveness to it... no discoloration on the locks/latches of the box.

After applying lexol also I'm not perceiving the pads to darken further in the couple months or so since I did it.  Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back