Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Dec 16, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #691 of 2,110
Yes, I have to agree with googeli on the positioning of the ear cups. Even my E10 at more than 500 hours sounds sibilant when placed in the incorrect position. That may be the reason why the E8 and E9 are designed with ear cups that will fit just right and will not allow very much adjustment for the ear cup position. However, the E10, with bigger ear cups, allow much more freedom in terms of ear cup positioning. I don't know whether this is a good thing, but it definitely makes the E10 more comfortable. Just my two cents. Have a pleasant day ahead!

Dec 17, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #692 of 2,110
The Edition 10 cups shape looks like the Pro series cups (750, 900, etc.) and I remeber reading that due to the off center positioning of the driver in the Ultrasone headphones positioning is very important in order to hit the sweet spot. I think this comments about the edition 10 are consistent with the previous one about the Pro series.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Dec 17, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #694 of 2,110

Quote:
Piotr Ryka,

Have you tried this?

Positioning of E10 is very easy, because only one position give you the best sound. This right position is straight your ears. 
Yesterday I have used "Gold" NOS Tsla's ECC88 instead of Simens & Halske CCa. Maybe slightly better, but still with sibilates. Today I will try Mullard E188CC. Next week Black Pearl and Accuphase.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #695 of 2,110
"My earlier information is correct. The US will be getting ED10s this month (We should have them here within 2 weeks)."

So said Randy ... exactly two weeks ago.  Hello?  Randy?  Oh well, not here.  Just like the Ed10s. 

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #696 of 2,110
The Ultrasone person who said no Christmas miracle on the Ed 10 was spot on, apparently...

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #697 of 2,110
And did anyone find out if there are 4 wires in the 10 or 3 and a shield. Since it is "ready" for balancing I would think they have wired it correctly but if the 4h is a shield. . . . 

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #698 of 2,110

Quote:
And did anyone find out if there are 4 wires in the 10 or 3 and a shield. Since it is "ready" for balancing I would think they have wired it correctly but if the 4h is a shield. . . . 

Randy never bothered to respond to my inquiry on the subject.  At least not as of yet.  I can't help to think with this level of pre-sales support what it must be like to actually obtain post-sales support, should you need it.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #699 of 2,110
popcorn.gif

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #700 of 2,110

Quote:

Not ready for balancing. Only two wires (green and blue) and a shield.

With Mullard E188CC sound is natural. Not hot, not sweet and generally very, very good. But sibilates are still present.

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #701 of 2,110

Quote:
Quote:

With Mullard E188CC sound is natural. Not hot, not sweet and generally very, very good. But sibilates are still present.

Thanks...so options are either to leave it alone or fully recable (hardwire it) balanced and lose the warranty or leave it single-ended and live with it. Recabling with a superior, balanced cable may elevate the SQ further and increase the sound stage but at the same time it may even negatively impact potential future resale value just like on some of the R10s.

This just gets better and better.

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #703 of 2,110
Thanks a lot for the nice reviews - I am considering an amp for it so please keep going for the great reviews of different amps for the ED10s :)

Quote:
Quote:

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #705 of 2,110
The Ultrasone Edition 10 press release (English version), dated 10/2010 can be downloaded from here in PDF format.  In it, they clearly state that the stock cable is prewired for balanced operation by simply reterminating it.  I have a hard time believing that the company would make such a gross error in the manufacturing of a flagship product, but anything is possible.

Here is the relevant excerpt: 

"Ultrasone has incorporated silver-plated OFC 99.99% pure copper wires and utilized Kevlar as the casing, achieving increased current flow, improved flexibility and lower overall weight. In addition, the Edition 10 is designed to be balanced input ready, so audiophiles who wish to implement a balanced cable configuration do not have to change the entire wire, rather connect XLR connectors instead of the 6.3mm connector."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back