Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Dec 15, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #676 of 2,110

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I believe it comes prewired for balanced listening, but it is terminated 1/4" TRS at the factory.  So, it can be reterminated with whatever balanced XLR connector you need without completely rewiring it.

This is according to the press material released back at the Tokyo media event.  I have not heard of any changes since.

If I remeber correctly it comes with a 1/4" TRS plug. They claim it is pre-wire for balance but I remeber I read it has 3 wires and shield where the shiled is use for the negative in one of the channels for balanced. I personally don't like that. For that price they should be using 4 wires [lus a shiled so in balanced you can have the two pair of wired per side plus the shiled.

I agree, that's a bummer 
frown.gif

I agree, to use a shield as a signal carrying wire is bogus. They could have easily put in 4 true signal carrying wires. If they didn't it is just plain lazy. My PortaPros have 4 wires and they cost, oh I don't know, 30 dollars and probably 10 to manufacture. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #677 of 2,110

This is demo piece, I’ve got to write review. It has surely over 200 hours. And even the very best tubes in my amplifier are helpless. OTL mood is better for killing sibilates than OTL-off, but not quite good. On the other hand, OTL-off sound is generally better. Next week I will try E10 with good solid state.

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #678 of 2,110
My feeling has been that for whatever reason, the Ultrasone seem to perform better on solid state. I am a tube person myself, preferring the glowing wonders and having been involved with tubes since the late 1960's and having built tube equipment. I look forward to your findings. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #679 of 2,110

Quote:

This is demo piece, I’ve got to write review. It has surely over 200 hours. And even the very best tubes in my amplifier are helpless. OTL mood is better for killing sibilates than OTL-off, but not quite good. On the other hand, OTL-off sound is generally better. Next week I will try E10 with good solid state.

I look forward to your review!

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #681 of 2,110

Quote:
Quote:

But I’ve got them to write review in polish. And I’ve done one. Long, wise six pages review. 
beerchug.gif

My personal opinion is that if you have done a review, if that is what you mean, 200 hours is not enough to know if the sibilance will continue and is a true character of the Ed. 10. Maybe I have misunderstood you. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #682 of 2,110

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But I’ve got them to write review in polish. And I’ve done one. Long, wise six pages review. 
beerchug.gif

My personal opinion is that if you have done a review, if that is what you mean, 200 hours is not enough to know if the sibilance will continue and is a true character of the Ed. 10. Maybe I have misunderstood you. 

You are right. And for that reason I didn't publish it yet. I must better investigate that sybilant problem . 

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #683 of 2,110
I heard from a company I am on the waiting list for the 10's. Out of 10 ordered, they "may" get 1, that is One out of Ten. So someone is lucky, not me. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #684 of 2,110

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I believe it comes prewired for balanced listening, but it is terminated 1/4" TRS at the factory.  So, it can be reterminated with whatever balanced XLR connector you need without completely rewiring it.

This is according to the press material released back at the Tokyo media event.  I have not heard of any changes since.

If I remeber correctly it comes with a 1/4" TRS plug. They claim it is pre-wire for balance but I remeber I read it has 3 wires and shield where the shiled is use for the negative in one of the channels for balanced. I personally don't like that. For that price they should be using 4 wires [lus a shiled so in balanced you can have the two pair of wired per side plus the shiled.

I agree, that's a bummer 
frown.gif

I agree, to use a shield as a signal carrying wire is bogus. They could have easily put in 4 true signal carrying wires. If they didn't it is just plain lazy. My PortaPros have 4 wires and they cost, oh I don't know, 30 dollars and probably 10 to manufacture. 

I have sent a PM to Randy asking for a comment.  Hopefully he can shed some light on what's going on.  Recabling the thing is always an option but it would no doubt void the warranty as well as possibly affect potential resale value.  If there are truly only 3 wires present that's only a "half-balanced" solution and would be a truly unfortunate cost-cutting maneuver on a high-dollar, limited edition phone.

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #685 of 2,110

Quote:
My feeling has been that for whatever reason, the Ultrasone seem to perform better on solid state.  

Without a doubt!

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #686 of 2,110
A few weeks ago, I asked Ultrasone AG on what headphone amplifiers that they recommend for use with the Edition 10. They recommended the following :

[size=x-small][size=10.5pt]We recommend the amplifiers of: [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10.5pt] [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10.5pt]The “Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear” is really good. [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10.5pt]http://www.lehmannaudio.com.au/amp/line/headphone.html[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10.5pt]Also the “SPL Auditor” & “SPL Phonitor” we could recommend.[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10.5pt]http://www.spl.info/index.php?id=334&L=1[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10.5pt]Please have a look at the LINKS.[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10.5pt]This 3 amplifiers we have tested with our Editions  headphones and we really could recommend this 3 models.[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10.5pt]But it also depends on your personal feeling/hearing.[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=11pt]For the portable amp we recommend the “[/size][/size][size=x-small][size=11pt]iQube[/size][/size][size=x-small][size=11pt][/size][/size][size=x-small][size=11pt]amplifier.[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=11pt]Please have a look at the following LINK:[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=11pt]http://www.i-qube.nl/index.php?id=16[/size][/size]

Strangely, none of the amps happens to be tube-based amplifiers. Have a pleasant day ahead!

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #687 of 2,110
The Edition 8 are terrific on the Leben CS300, so they can be great with them right tube amp.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #689 of 2,110
Lehmann Black Cube is a good amplifier, but nothing special. I have try it with E8. Good sound, good synergy. SPL Phonitor is great - analitical in a good sense - but need analog sounding source. With E9 it was fantastic combo, although not better than E9 with my Twin-Head. Leben CS300XS is also very good, but Ultrasone, according to me, is not the best choice. I prefer for it HD 800 and K701.
Next week I will try E10 with better solid state amps than Lehmann, but frankly, I haven't too much expectations. My Twin-Head is unobtedly more smooth than Phonitor. Only true hope is Accuphase C-3800 preamplifier.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #690 of 2,110
From my experience so far, positioning seems quite important. With the earcups at certain position, the trebles are harsh and sibilance are very significant. Moving the earcups and making sure the entrance of the  ear canal is in the center of the earcup though, would reduce the sibilance to negligible level (at least negligible to me). Also not to wear it too tight, it seems to increase the sibilance too. Just play around with the adjustable headband and the earcup positioning a bit until you hit the "sweet spot", that's how it works for me - it took me 15 minutes to find it but then for subsequent listenings it would be much easier to achieve that and the time shortens with the number of times you wear it. Now it sounds so good I just can't put it down. And mine is still <100 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back