Ultrasone edition 10 "THE BUTTERFLY" initial impressions
Oct 20, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #31 of 2,110
popcorn.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #32 of 2,110
no wonder if the open ultrasone are not easy to drive.. as my  Pro 2500 need almost a same Volume pot level as beyer dt 880/600 out of my diy amp.. and to find a synergy is more difficult too..

anyway nice initial impressions.. hope you can pair it with the right setup,, so you can review it in a better justice..
beerchug.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #34 of 2,110
[size=10pt]Very interesting to read about USD 2800 hp that don't need USD 3000 amp, that's explain their price tag, its like buying 2 in 1, so, just plug them in your iPod, done.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks for your impressions.[/size]

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #37 of 2,110
What is your "feel" for the quality of the stock cable it ships with?  Thanks for your impressions and the pics.  Excited about getting my unit.  Definitely impressed by the presentation itself just from the pictures.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #38 of 2,110

Quote:
 you have a classic  ”collectors” item in your hands ,the value holds over time and probably the price goes up.The limited production   ED-10 headphone is one of those  items ,only 2010 units available  

Not really ... the prices of these headphones on the used market will follow the same pattern as other high end headphones. The very first ones will command a premium if they are sold while people are still on the wait list... after everybody gets theirs and wants to move on to other toys, prices will drop like a lead anchor. Just because something is out of production or limited doesn't mean it will increase in value. Only true classics like the R10 or Qualia increase in value, and to be honest, I don't think the Edition 10 will match these headphones.

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #39 of 2,110

Quote:
Very interesting. I just got word from Jack my WA22 is shipping this week, so I'm quite curious as to how tube amps will effect these.

Congratulations about your WA22. I got my WA5-LE in early August and I am loving it every minute.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 20, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #40 of 2,110

Quote:
yes this happened and it got out of balance,pronounced midbass  and  compression on lower highs was the result the phones got somehow compressed or nervous (sibilance) so i dont recommend these phones with big tube amps.
Going through different amps it seems that these probably suit best with clean SS amps or straight out of i pod.(touch) with low volumes.Another review will be released in a German forum next weekend so i can compare hes findings
to mine.I recommend to listen before purchase and a picture of the "test laboratory"

So they sound good with bad sources but not high-end equipment? I don't see how that can be considered a good thing.

(BTW great pics and impressions. The headphones are certainly lookers).

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #41 of 2,110

Quote:
Not really ... the prices of these headphones on the used market will follow the same pattern as other high end headphones. The very first ones will command a premium if they are sold while people are still on the wait list... after everybody gets theirs and wants to move on to other toys, prices will drop like a lead anchor. Just because something is out of production or limited doesn't mean it will increase in value. Only true classics like the R10 or Qualia increase in value, and to be honest, I don't think the Edition 10 will match these headphones.

It may not match the R10 or Q010, but I have a feeling it will be on par with the L3000, K1000, and HE60... all of which sell for more than their original asking price.

Oct 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #42 of 2,110

Quote:

So they sound good with bad sources but not high-end equipment? I don't see how that can be considered a good thing.

(BTW great pics and impressions. The headphones are certainly lookers).

My ATH-W5000's sound best amped with the HA5000's and an Ipod being the source. Ever since I got rid of my DAC and put aside my "pride" and tried out the Ipod, it created the perfect sound I was looking for without investing more money. IMO if the ED-10 sound great from an Ipod, all power to them! It just shows you that in order to achieve great sound you don't need to donate your organs to be able to run the headphone properly. 

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #43 of 2,110

Quote:
My ATH-W5000's sound best amped with the HA5000's and an Ipod being the source. Ever since I got rid of my DAC and put aside my "pride" and tried out the Ipod, it created the perfect sound I was looking for without investing more money. IMO if the ED-10 sound great from an Ipod, all power to them! It just shows you that in order to achieve great sound you don't need to donate your organs to be able to run the headphone properly. 

The problem isn't that they sound good with an iPod. It's that they sound bad with high-end equipment. That's not a good sign. It means that they're coloured to correct for the flaws of low-end sources/amps.

Oct 20, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #45 of 2,110

Quote:
It remains to be seen whether they're bad with ALL high end equipment or just what thinker has tried them on. They could just be highly setup dependent.

True..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back