Ultrasone Edition 10 announced!
Sep 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #451 of 771

Quote:
The Edition 9 was a natural evolution, combining the best of the closed PRO & HFI series' models, with real sonic improvements. The Ed8 is a radical departure in design from the lower series'.

The Edition 10 appears to be a luxury version of the open PRO series technologies, with a little Ed8 cosmetics thrown in. The extent to which these materials & whatever tweaks they've incorporated result in sonic improvements, I can't say. Although I'd be willing to bet they are real (just not necessarily on how much improvement). If I could afford them, I'd buy 'em. Regardless, I still want to hear them.

Good summary!

Sep 3, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #452 of 771
Guys let me tell you that with Ultrasone you never know, the previous versions used the same drivers as the Edtion versions, and none of them sound alike, the difference in sound between a 2500, and open version 650 (not 750 as stated previously) is that big as the difference in price if you compare them with the Edition 9, now this new model despite the sound (that we still need to hear) has other fancy additions that may or not alter the sound but for sure add value ot the heapdhones, a nice case, nice design, nice material, refined manufacture, stand, nice leather...etc...I wouldl ike to wait to judge it when I hear it...
About Tesla, well that is new technology, it is true, but same as the Ultrasone was at the time they introduced the S-Logic, and it was based in a lot of experimentation from Florian, and lot of studies, not only on the tehcnology but also on the human perception and hearing, probably as long asthe Tesla if not more (speculating here)

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #453 of 771
I find it amusing when certain members make statements about retail pricing, trying to base price only on rational things like materials and production costs, and sometimes mentioning indirect costs linked to technology and the required research and development investment to develop such technology.  First off the manufacturer can influence retail pricing, but they can not control it.  Secondly, pricing has never been restricted to a formula based on production costs only, particularly when it comes to branded product.  Pricing and the associated "purchase" is generally more an "emotional" decision rather than a logical decsion.  "Value" is just as subjective as "what sounds good" or "what looks good."  Do you really think that it costs 2000% more to make a $100 designer T shirt than it does to produce a $5 T shirt?

If it is too expensive for you - don't buy it.  But stop whinging about it and stop trying to justify a position regarding what the price "should be".  You don't have a clue.

What is something worth? Simple - as much as the market is willing to pay for it.

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #454 of 771
USD $3238??
blink.gif

Meh.. those headphones are too cheap...I want something better
rolleyes.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #455 of 771
Quote:
 a 2500, and open version 650 (not 750 as stated previously) is that big as the difference in price if you compare them with the Edition 9,

The PRO650 & HFI2200 share gold-plated drivers. They do sound quite different though.
The PRO750, PRO2500, PRO900, PRO2900, & Edition 9 all share the same titanium  drivers. These also sound different, including differences between the PRO closed models (damn good) & the Ed9 (even better).

The Edition 10 appears to also use this same titanium driver in a similiar configuration. Again, there can easily be tweaks that can have significant changes to the sound. But it is the same driver, which is among the best dynamic driver in production today, and worthy of inclusion inside a luxury statement product, imo.

(I'm not sure about the Edition 8 driver, although I bet it's that same titanium driver as well)

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #457 of 771

Quote:
Quote:

The PRO650 & HFI2200 share gold-plated drivers. They do sound quite different though.
The PRO750, PRO2500, PRO900, PRO2900, & Edition 9 all share the same titanium  drivers. These also sound different, including differences between the PRO closed models (damn good) & the Ed9 (even better).

The Edition 10 appears to also use this same titanium driver in a similiar configuration. Again, there can easily be tweaks that can have significant changes to the sound. But it is the same driver, which is among the best dynamic driver in production today, and worthy of inclusion inside a luxury statement product, imo.

(I'm not sure about the Edition 8 driver, although I bet it's that same titanium driver as well)

The pro 650 and hfi-2200 drivers have different ohm specs. When you take out the 10 ohm diodes, Pro 750, pro 2500, and possibly edition 9 (didn't verify sensitivity) have the same stated specs. Removing diodes, pro 900, 2900, and edition 8 drivers have the same stated specs. The edition 10 drivers is claimed to be 10% more efficient than current ultrasone models' drivers.

These are all just stated specs, so maybe what you say is true.

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #458 of 771

Quote:

These are all just stated specs

Marketing speak. It makes it easier for salespeople to differentiate between models & series'.

Personally, I don't believe it though. *shrug*

Sep 4, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #459 of 771

Quote:
Quote:

I stand corrected, Jimmi, you are right the one I had was the 750, and the 2500, I never had any 650, all those drivers of the 750, 2500 and Editions are the same, Evan confrimed me that in one email, the diodes and the back port tunnings are different in all of them to suit the application in question, but the drivers are identical and the same...

Sep 6, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #463 of 771
You keep mentioning different prices but not where you preorder it... Not that I am about to buy but why all the secrecy :wink:

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #464 of 771
The Edition 10 sure is beautiful. It costs three times as much as an LCD-2. Wonder how it sounds, twice as good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back