Ultrasone Edition 10 announced!
Aug 7, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #301 of 771
Absurd? Why? They can set any price they want to. They feel they are worth 3,000... The public will be judge...  That's how capitalism works If there's only 2-3 thousand made I guarantee you they will sell out. People like having luxury items.. & there are enough hardcore headfiers that will roll out that sort of cash.. & speaking of price VS performance in regards to 3,000 headphones is absurd in itself.. Do people spend 5,000 for a pair of R10 cause they feel they are getting a great deal? No.. People who can afford to buy the R10 buy out of prestiege, rarity, status symbol, & of course being highly regarded by many to be the best dynamic headphone ever created. People who are lucky enough to afford such items don't think like the majority.. Diffferent values & expections.. They want it, there for they buy it, cause they can..

Quote:
[size=11pt]I think the pricetag at the range more them 3,000 dollars or at about 2,000 euro is totally absurd and irrational. I do not thing that there is so special material or something what produce the price to this level. It is more snobbish style, to spend horrible money to something what is design-art, “limited edition”, or something. The sound is perfect, but dramatically overcosted by “other sides” like grill etc. I think, there is added one or two innovative features and price is irrationally multiplied. Where ED10 are so dramatically better then Beyer T50p? Yes, they can be better, but the distance in sound quality is NOT so enough as the price explosion. I like high quality headphones but with rational pricetag and with rational approach to customers. Beyerdynamic is well organization in aspect, they want deliver the latest technology in them products (series) with the price which is rational for most of users, without “artificial” parts as “design decoration” etc. I not need total luxury case, but the device for sound listening. When you want to have these additional parts, Beyerdynamic give you all in manufacture programme or with tunning partners, there you can spend for tesla models so much money so you want, with diamonds, crystals ... I think, the magic is to produce top quality products with latest technologies in most acceptable pricetags. I think, Beyerdynamic is there very successful. As I said ultrasone were, is and will be overcosted for their higher products. That’s all.[/size]

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #302 of 771

Quote:
Fine, what more have you got to say.

I just thought that it was amusing that one person who has never heard the Edition 10 dislikes them no matter what they sound like, followed up by another person that likes them no matter what they sound like. It's not just that neither have heard them, but that there is no need to before forming an opinion that struck me as a bit comical, no offense intended.

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #303 of 771
Quote:
They were doing the audition session with a small group of selected people on the fisrt day, but not to public. The invitations were sent individually via email. I guess it is because they don't want to spread some wrong messages before the ED10 released, for the audition condition in the expo was not ideal. They promised  a proper audition later as they recorded the contact numbers of all the vistor who showed interest in the ED10.

hahah maybe I should post more on the Hong Kong forums, make a name for myself. Or maybe if I switched to Mandarin and dressed like someone with US$3000 to spend.  
wink.gif
 It was a bit weird of them to bring it into public view and not have public testing; oh well. There was a lot of stuff there, we should start an impressions thread in the other forums. 

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #304 of 771
I do not think, and I'm completelly speculating here, and I still would like to hear them, that their sound will be completely different from others previous lower end versions, after seeing the pics of the front baffle posted on that site, (unless of course a completelly different driver) in order to get a different sound in the previous Editions 7 and 9, from those same drivers they had to angled the drivers slightly, (just placing them again flat and off axis, will remove part fo the high definition of the previous Editions, unless a different driver...) holes and position are very similar to the PROLine ones...let's see while we listen them...

It is really hard to believe than someone in Headfi, had the chance of listening them, and just simply had chosen to brief them and go away, this is a unique experience for many of us...   

Aug 7, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #305 of 771
I also think the price is just ridiculous but then that's what i said about the HD800 and now i own a pair. I suppose all it needs is a couple of hundred pages of reviews mostly good and im sure its going to weed out the suckers in the herd who can afford it and that limited run would be all accounted for. In terms of looks i think its better than the L3000 and the O2.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #306 of 771

Quote:

I just thought that it was amusing that one person who has never heard the Edition 10 dislikes them no matter what they sound like, followed up by another person that likes them no matter what they sound like. It's not just that neither have heard them, but that there is no need to before forming an opinion that struck me as a bit comical, no offense intended.

You joined after the HD-800 thread I see. If you think this is bad, you ain't seen nothin' yet. 
wink_face.gif

I'd love to audition a pair and it would be fun to review them, but I'm nobody, so I doubt I would get anywhere even asking.

What really nails it for me, however, are that the small outfits: Hifiman, Symphones and Audeze make the really killer good headphones.  Though I have the ED8s here, and they are a good closed headphone (accepting that the price of them includes the bling) but the Symphones Magnums destroy them sonically for half the price (or much less than that if you don't get the full mod).  Such headphones aren't subject to the necessity of price-point ranges that Beyer or Sennheiser have imposed (or the latter did until discounting brutalised the prices and margins of what were their high-end cans).

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #307 of 771
I went to the HK AV show yesterday and they did have it on display, but listening was strictly "for press only".  Then I saw the CEO of Ultrasone standing there and chatted with him a bit and he invited me to try it on.

I am not an avid Headphoner so take it with a grain of salt, I have an old pair of HD580 that I am very happy with.  But have been shopping for a high end pair of phones after hearing how good my Weiss DAC202 can make headphones sound.

I have to say the sound is very different than both the ED8, Senn HD800 and T1 in a positive.  The sound is almost euphonic and all the above three sounded edgy and hard in comparison.  I could probably listen to it for hours had it not for the crap music they played out of the so called demo setup.  Hong Kong dealers do not pay attention to the music they play.  The Ultrasone folks should have insisted on them to play some decent music.  May be the dealer told them this is what the Hong Kong people listen to oh well shame on them.

Any way I only listened for 1-2 minutes because they did not have good music.  But it really was something special.

I auditioned the above three phones previously, and none of them wow'ed me enough to change from the lowly HD580.  But the ED8 has that potential.  The price is steep though.

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #309 of 771

Quote:
hahah maybe I should post more on the Hong Kong forums, make a name for myself. Or maybe if I switched to Mandarin and dressed like someone with US$3000 to spend.  
wink.gif
 It was a bit weird of them to bring it into public view and not have public testing; oh well. There was a lot of stuff there, we should start an impressions thread in the other forums. 

The trick is to go near closing time. They don't want to let people listen to it when it's really packed because of the noise level -- they don't want people to get the wrong impression.

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #310 of 771

Quote:

I have to say the sound is very different than both the ED8, Senn HD800 and T1 in a positive.  The sound is almost euphonic and all the above three sounded edgy and hard in comparison.

great thanks
next please.......

these phones are getting to remind of sitting on the Maybach back seat

maybach-interior.jpg

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #313 of 771

yes, the ultrasone guy said they are arranging a special listening session with a better source and amps and environment for those who are interested in before sending back to Germany.
Quote:
The trick is to go near closing time. They don't want to let people listen to it when it's really packed because of the noise level -- they don't want people to get the wrong impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back