Ultrasone DJ1 or DJ1 Pro?
Aug 3, 2009 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dub Beatz

1000+ Head-Fier
So I've finally decided on a model for my first high end headphones. It's taken me a good week to decide, and for my situation these seem to be the best choice for me. Now, from what I've read / seen there's minimal difference between the two. It looks like the following changes were made...

- DJ1 Pro come with removable earcups, along with replacements
- DJ1 Pro are apparently tuned a tad bit better than DJ1
- DJ1 Pro have two cables, with a 3.5 adapter
- DJ1 Pro are slightly larger, and earcups are round rather than oval
- DJ1 Pro have a few goodies, such as improved carrying case etc
- DJ1 Pro have improved radiation reduction... so they say
- DJ1 Pro last difference I noticed was price, obviously

Basically, I would like to hear everyone's opinion on this one. Should I spend the extra $ and get the Pros? Or just go with the DJ1's. One thing I should point out, I have a relatively small head. It's not small, but it's smaller. I'm really looking for comfortability as well.
I'd like to point out one more thing, unfortunately in my situation I have no way of testing either out.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 19
Update, Amazon is the only place I'm willing to purchase from, and the price difference is pretty understandable. I think I'm going to purchase the DJ1 Pro's with 1 day shipping. They'll arrive tomorrow according to the site, and if I'm unhappy I'll probably just return and get DJ1's. Either way, if anyone still has opinions they would be greatly appreciated, seeing as how i'm terribly impatient and would love to read what you guys have to say. I'm hoping to get hyped, who knows I may even have to snort a few lines. Thanks again guys

Aug 3, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 19
My cousin is a DJ and has actually had quite a bit of experience with both. We both prefer the DJ1 Pros honestly, you might as well shoot for the best. Comfort and sound are both top notch, you can't beat them for a DJ application. He's went through so many pairs of DJ headphones and these seem to be the only ones that make him happy. Best of luck!

On a side note, not 100% sure what you meant by the snort a few lines comment, and if it's something else that i just don't get, i'm sorry, but this is an all-ages forum and I'm sure the mods wouldn't appreciate a drug related comment such as that.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 19
alright cool. Good point btw, shoot for the best. I just ordered em, should have em tomorrow. Lol, the snort comment was a joke, I was saying i'm so excited I might snort a few to pull an all nighter, and in turn stay hyped until they arrive. Like i said, just a joke. Sorry mods, and sorry kids.

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dub Beatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alright cool. Good point btw, shoot for the best. I just ordered em, should have em tomorrow. Lol, the snort comment was a joke, I was saying i'm so excited I might snort a few to pull an all nighter, and in turn stay hyped until they arrive. Like i said, just a joke. Sorry mods, and sorry kids.

Sorry about that buddy... didn't mean to jump all over you i was in a weird mood this morning LOL. Congrats on the purchase, you'll love them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 19
Alright, they arrived. My first impression simply put is... Holy crap. These things are so nasty. I can actually hear things in my music, like things I've never heard before. I tried em out in game too, Crysis was a blast with em plugged into my onboard sound. It's an Nforce 780i, so it supports up to 7.1 SS. Man, these things are beastly. Sad thing is. I don't have any additional set ups. No amps etc
frown.gif
. Regardless, these things sound great out of the box, and I can't wait until they're burnt in. Though I'm not really sure how the process goes. All in all, thank again guys, I'm glad i made the purchase.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #8 of 19
Hey man, glad we could help! I'm psyched for ya. Don't worry about burn in, just listen to them as much as you can and enjoy your music.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 19
so the dj1 are the hfi 580 tweaked and the dj1 pro are the pro 550 tweaked, is that right?
i was gonna get the 550 pro becasue of the replaceable cables and the 50mm drivers, but it looks like the dj1 pro is just a better version with more combfortable pads, i wonder if it comes with case and extra pads?

Dec 1, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so the dj1 are the hfi 580 tweaked and the dj1 pro are the pro 550 tweaked, is that right?
i was gonna get the 550 pro becasue of the replaceable cables and the 50mm drivers, but it looks like the dj1 pro is just a better version with more combfortable pads, i wonder if it comes with case and extra pads?

Yes, the Pro/PL versions have extra pads and extra cable. but better to buy the Pro -900 pads.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
Alright, they arrived. My first impression simply put is... Holy crap. These things are so nasty. I can actually hear things in my music, like things I've never heard before. I tried em out in game too, Crysis was a blast with em plugged into my onboard sound. It's an Nforce 780i, so it supports up to 7.1 SS. Man, these things are beastly. Sad thing is. I don't have any additional set ups. No amps etc
frown.gif
. Regardless, these things sound great out of the box, and I can't wait until they're burnt in. Though I'm not really sure how the process goes. All in all, thank again guys, I'm glad i made the purchase.

I know it's been a while since this thread was active, but I was wondering if you're using the DJ1 Pros unamped. I was looking at these 'phones and it sounds like they might match what I'm looking for in a new headphone. I'm primarily going to be listening to them through my iPod Touch, so I was just curious if they sound well unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back