Ultimate Ears UE4 Pro Review (Well, A Mini-Review Anyway)--The Poor Man's UE10 Pro
May 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #46 of 108
Haha only on headfi can a $400+ earphone be a poor man's anything :p

These look great thanks for the review!

May 21, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #47 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what what I read from the website, these are essentially Super.Fi 5s with custom ear moulds? Or are they are genuine upgrade from their previous dual armature model?

That was my thought, too. If memory serves, the custom version of the sf5p was the UE5c (NOT the UE 5 pro). So I'm wondering if this is a tweak/rebrand. Jude, any insights about this?

May 21, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #48 of 108
I have never understood why product packaging would make a difference in buying a product. And why it drives the cost up for a pretty box, just insane.

May 21, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #49 of 108
wow, so many choices for customs nowadays at so many price points. back then it was easy, UE 10 or the Sensaphonics 2x-s. but i'm more interested in the Jerry Harvey offerings now than anything from UE.

May 21, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #50 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by robjrock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what what I read from the website, these are essentially Super.Fi 5s with custom ear moulds? Or are they are genuine upgrade from their previous dual armature model?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was my thought, too. If memory serves, the custom version of the sf5p was the UE5c (NOT the UE 5 pro). So I'm wondering if this is a tweak/rebrand. Jude, any insights about this?

I'm not sure, Monkey. In the beta testing, there were two different versions, and each had distinct driver sets, and very different sound signatures. So, unless I missed something that UE states more specifically, I'm not sure which drivers they're using relative to their other IEMs (universal-fit or otherwise).

Keep in mind also that the IEM manufacturers like Ultimate Ears, SHURE, Klipsch, JH Audio, Sleek Audio, etc., that are using balanced armature drivers often custom spec their drivers from the driver manufacturers, which might lead to further variations.

For example, this was asked earlier (I just noticed): Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that's what I thought UE5Pro's were so now I am also wondering difference between UE4Pro and UE5Pro?

Both are dual driver units, but the UE5 Pro (I don't have a set, so this is from what I'm told, and from what I've seen in reviews) is more bass-heavy. From what I understand beta unit 4A was similar to the 5, being heavier in the bass--very rounded sound. (I liked 4B quite a bit more, which is what they're coming to market with as the UE4 Pro.)

May 22, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #51 of 108
Thanks Jude. I guess I'll just have to win a free pair and find out.
evil_smiley.gif

May 23, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #53 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, the SHURE SRH840 is currently the only closed headphone in my main rig (that isn't a custom in-ear monitor)

This caught my attention. Could you make some quick comparisons between the SRH840 and the UE4 Pro?
  • Which one is better for monitoring (which one is more neutral)?
  • Which one is more comfortable, when used in a studio?
  • Which one provides the best sound isolation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simply put, I haven't heard a better IEM yet for its price.

This comment would be a little more useful if we knew what high-end IEMs you avoid naming.
tongue.gif
UM3X? SE530? IE8?

May 24, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #54 of 108
I wasn't really happy with UE support as well. Few years back I decided to go for Triple-fi's but UE showed no interest whatsoever to help me decide. While, on the other hand, guys from M-Audio were more than helpful (one of them even suggested I try the Shure SE530) so I got the IE40's. My experiences aside, I am really interested in comparison between UE4Pro and the Triple-fi's. 2drivers vs 3drivers, customs vs universals. I mean, if a dual driver can sound better than a 3deiver configuration, how much does a mold influence the SQ then? Or to rephrase it, if it would be possible to make molds for Triple's, how would they rank compared to UE customs? I think 400$ is acceptable price to pay, but only if it can offer real improvement that is instantly audible and appreciated over the Triple's. What do you guys think?

May 28, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #55 of 108
I currently have the UE Super.fi 5 Pros, but I'm wanting better sound and fit.

I'm really looking into customs. I generally like my current Super.fi's, but think the sound is a little off. It seems to be veiled or something. The highs seem to be rounded off too much. Would these new UE4s be different in that respect?

I'm also willing to look at Westone. The ES1s seem to be in my price range, with the ES2s definitely on the high side. However, I'm unfamiliar with Westone and I think feel more comfortable with UE.

Sorry if my post is unclear... I'm a custom-IEM-virgin, and I'm a little nervous to spend all of the money without a good amount of encouragement from the Head-Fi community.

Thanks!

May 29, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #57 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is hilarious.

Just one pearl among many:

"The prototype unit B UE4 is fermented in the appropriate units."

B must stand for Beer.
biggrin.gif

I don't understand any of it:

"This is not unlike UE11 Pro for serious, but there is no transparency in the UE11. In other words, the message and juicy. It remains, as well, but the sound is better, rather than I with the majority iems my part - but not surprisingly, a decrease of 10 and 11 My preliminary conclusions? Let it be a price to pay for the appropriate end of the practice. I like the pieces of a single day - it is because the next day, B is a device on the tower."

May 29, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #58 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand any of it:

"This is not unlike UE11 Pro for serious, but there is no transparency in the UE11. In other words, the message and juicy. It remains, as well, but the sound is better, rather than I with the majority iems my part - but not surprisingly, a decrease of 10 and 11 My preliminary conclusions? Let it be a price to pay for the appropriate end of the practice. I like the pieces of a single day - it is because the next day, B is a device on the tower."

Sorry, Larry. I can't understand the text in Bold. Are the texts your words!? Or is it a quotation? It looks like Chinguish to me.

May 29, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #59 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, Larry. I can't understand the text in Bold. Are the texts your words!? Or is it a quotation? It looks like Chinguish to me.

I copied it from the link above as an example of the blog's babble.

May 29, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #60 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I copied it from the link above as an example of the blog's babble.

Someone apparently copied Jude's review into an automatic translator, and then someone put this translation into an automatic translator, reverting the review back to English but with some... differences.

I wonder if Jude will laugh or scream. Or both. And if both, in what order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back