Ultimate Ears UE-x Pro Custom; Appreciation, Review & Discussion thread
May 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #212 of 318

Quote:
 it's like they shoved the mic down ERW's throat on this recording.

Not gonna touch that one.  
wink.gif

May 17, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #214 of 318
Quote:
Is anyone else sometimes picking up radio frequencies on their IEMs? When I'm at the library (it's near a broadcasting station) then I hear half-radio, half-my own music. :S

Are you sure it's not your amp that's picking up the RFI?

Quote:
I think there is a reason.  I've noticed when looking inside the crossovers and drivers seem to be spread out all over.  In fact, different pictures from different ears show quite a difference as to where the components are fit.  The ES5 on the other hand has nice, clean compact bundles where the components are integrated together.  By comparison the UERM looks like a bomb went off inside.

I am finding that the extra thickness in the shell creates very positive effects on the fit for me.  My UERM tips are almost as short as my poor-fitting JH16 tips, but since the UERM's shells are much wider, they seem to lock onto my ears better.  The tips simply do not move around at all, whether I'm walking, chewing, or smiling.  I can't say the same for either my JH16 or my ES5, which have very long and wide tips (but a somewhat narrow shell).

Very impressive design, and even more impressive work from the technician to nail the fit on the first try!  Given my experiences with other customs, this is by no means a given.

May 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #215 of 318
I've been really happy with the fit on UE11's as well and it seems to improve as my ears have gotten used to them over the past couple of months.  No more pressure points at all and I can eat without it shifting in my ear canal most of the time.  They make good ear plugs as well, when I do not want hear anything from my neighbor's cubicles in the office. 

Still need to stop being lazy and start building the mini^3 from the parts sitting on my desk and a small LOD for it.  I've sorted through everything to make sure I'm set, just need to hunker down and start soldering.  Does not bode well for my DIY aspirations if I can't find the resolve to build a small kit :X

May 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #216 of 318
Quote:
Is anyone else sometimes picking up radio frequencies on their IEMs? When I'm at the library (it's near a broadcasting station) then I hear half-radio, half-my own music. :S

that wouldn't be the IEM but your source. never happened to me, although I often park in a lot that's right next to a radio station...

May 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #217 of 318
There isn't going to be much substance to this post, other than some UE-11 love. 

My work set up has sort of settled into iPad > Camera connection kit > Headroom Micro Dac > Micro Amp > UE-11's... And as I sit here this morning I'm just amazed at how good the music is considering I am in my office!  I think the UE-11's are probably considered a little dated with more recent releases from UE and others, however I think they are still a solid contender.  My biggest worry with the UE-11 was that they would lack detail because of the reported bass bias they deliver.  Yes, the low end is powerful... I was listening to the Social Network soundtrack this morning, some of the really deep lows are so physical with the 11's.  But even when with some deep pounding bass I was still picking up the very subtle details in the mids and highs that are there in these tracks.

Like I said, nothing really to offer here other than reporting that after some time now with the UE-11 I am still very happy with the purchase. 

May 23, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #218 of 318
yeah, I concur - detail isn't lacking when there is loads of lows. still there are times when another, more straight-line transducer does better, but I've come to be fond of what the UE11pro can do - and it does so much of what it does!

Quote:
There isn't going to be much substance to this post, other than some UE-11 love. 

My work set up has sort of settled into iPad > Camera connection kit > Headroom Micro Dac > Micro Amp > UE-11's... And as I sit here this morning I'm just amazed at how good the music is considering I am in my office!  I think the UE-11's are probably considered a little dated with more recent releases from UE and others, however I think they are still a solid contender.  My biggest worry with the UE-11 was that they would lack detail because of the reported bass bias they deliver.  Yes, the low end is powerful... I was listening to the Social Network soundtrack this morning, some of the really deep lows are so physical with the 11's.  But even when with some deep pounding bass I was still picking up the very subtle details in the mids and highs that are there in these tracks.

Like I said, nothing really to offer here other than reporting that after some time now with the UE-11 I am still very happy with the purchase. 

Jun 8, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #219 of 318
Well my friends...
The UE-4 Pro's are speeding their way back to me after another re-fit. I should have them tomorrow... or hopefully in time for the weekend.

I'll see if (and hope) there has been an improvement in fit / sound / ergonomics, and post the results.

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #221 of 318
I just want to say that I'm still loving my Reference Monitors.  I feel pretty confident in concluding that they are the most crisp, detailed IEMs that I own.  They also provide the best instrument separation and come the closest to an out-of-head soundstage that I have heard from an IEM.

Out of my 3 custom IEMs, they're the only set I still listen to.  I put my ES5s on briefly after I had been listening to the UERMs for a while, and the ES5s just sounded muffled and less focused.  The ES5s isolate far better and provide more bass impact than the UERM, but I still find the UERM's presentation to be more accurate and engaging.  To me, the UERM sound far better than my other customs straight from an iPod/iPhone, and while the ES5 catch up a bit with a better source and amp, the UERM still sound better than my other customs in any other identical setup.

Also, although Westone did a great job with the fit, my ES5s still shift and move around slightly when I walk around or open my jaw.  No such problems with the UERM; the fit is so good that I can actually exercise with them and they still stay in place.  (I did ask Westone to try and add some width to the tips, but they saw it as too risky a move given that the fit is fine if I'm sitting still.)

It's a bit of a surprise to me that the UERMs haven't made as big a splash in the Head-Fi community as the other customs I own.  Maybe people are concerned that a "neutral" IEM will sound either excessively dry or too sharp, or will be so deficient in bass impact as to be boring.  I am learning that I'm a detail freak, and the UERMs give me my fix without sounding sibilant or analytical.  The bass is indeed extremely flat, which in loud environments means that the bottom end will be very faint (also because of the slightly less-than-perfect isolation level), but in a quiet room I don't find it to be too lean at all.

If anyone is on the fence about the UERMs or has any questions about it that I can answer, I'd be happy to.  It truly stands alone among my IEM collection.

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #222 of 318
^  I'm surprised your ES5's still sound muffled.  I can swap back and forth right away between the two w/o noticing that muffle/veil anymore.

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #223 of 318
@DJ Nellie or ANYONE ELSE with UE RM...four questions:

1.  Did you notice the treble quantity seem to increase since your initial impressions?  (To myself and at least one other Head-Fier- we had that experience. Treble quantity/quality improved to me.)
2.  Have you tried with AMB mini^3/iPhone?  (I still love this combo.)
3.  Have you tried with Pico Slim/iPhone? (Love mini^3 enough that I need to listen to Pico Slim first or hear how it is better than mini^3 before buying.)
4.  Have you tried with CLAS?

Additional comments:
  1. I still enjoy some of the visceral sensation of bass that bigger phones provide + warmth/decay at times, but the UE RM are the most revealing and (except for a bit of perceived boost in midrange) seem flattest of anything I have spent time with.
  2. Because they don't seem "spiky" or "peaky" anywhere in the Frequency Range, they don't seem "wooly" or "muted" anywhere.
  3. They probably also seem clearer due to their speed vs. dynamic transducers. 
  4. I'm not a Mastering Engineer, but I think I would use the UE RM in conjunction with some monitors that could show me where congestion might occur in the midrange and some speakers that could show me if too much quantity or "boomy" quality of sub-bass was occurring.
  5. So far, the speed and clarity has been absolutely "musical" (whatever that means) and enjoyable...except for Alanis Morissette's Under Rug Swept (which might benefit from some comfy pads on a pair of Alessandro MS-1's run through a warm tube amp).

For detail and frequency information, it seems to all be there...but I don't know enough about mixing for a 3D sound-stage or about imaging to know if they are a sufficient tool for that.

Seems to me that most engineers know the particular qualities of their set-ups and use more than one set-up to test for different aspects of a mix...these certainly provide the cleanest window into the music from my collection so far.

Jun 13, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #224 of 318
1. no, 2. no, 3. yes, 4. no. and as for 3 - I have the Pico (non-slim, or pre-slim, hm?) and considered updating myself, but felt it was unnecessary. mind you, I am less and less likely to use an amp for my UERM since I mostly use it with my hifiman

Quote:
@DJ Nellie or ANYONE ELSE with UE RM...four questions:

1.  Did you notice the treble quantity seem to increase since your initial impressions?  (To myself and at least one other Head-Fier- we had that experience. Treble quantity/quality improved to me.)
2.  Have you tried with AMB mini^3/iPhone?  (I still love this combo.)
3.  Have you tried with Pico Slim/iPhone? (Love mini^3 enough that I need to listen to Pico Slim first or hear how it is better than mini^3 before buying.)
4.  Have you tried with CLAS?

Additional comments:
  1. I still enjoy some of the visceral sensation of bass that bigger phones provide + warmth/decay at times, but the UE RM are the most revealing and (except for a bit of perceived boost in midrange) seem flattest of anything I have spent time with.
  2. Because they don't seem "spiky" or "peaky" anywhere in the Frequency Range, they don't seem "wooly" or "muted" anywhere.
  3. They probably also seem clearer due to their speed vs. dynamic transducers. 
  4. I'm not a Mastering Engineer, but I think I would use the UE RM in conjunction with some monitors that could show me where congestion might occur in the midrange and some speakers that could show me if too much quantity or "boomy" quality of sub-bass was occurring.
  5. So far, the speed and clarity has been absolutely "musical" (whatever that means) and enjoyable...except for Alanis Morissette's Under Rug Swept (which might benefit from some comfy pads on a pair of Alessandro MS-1's run through a warm tube amp).

For detail and frequency information, it seems to all be there...but I don't know enough about mixing for a 3D sound-stage or about imaging to know if they are a sufficient tool for that.

Seems to me that most engineers know the particular qualities of their set-ups and use more than one set-up to test for different aspects of a mix...these certainly provide the cleanest window into the music from my collection so far.

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #225 of 318
@melomaniac...thank you for your responses.  I recently had a VERY quick comparison between my mini^3 and the regular Pico amp and found the Pico amp a bit warmer than mini^3.  So I guess I could also look for comparisons between Pico and Pico Slim to extrapolate.  I need more time with the regular Pico before I could make any real conclusions.  But I was surprised at how small the Pico amp is, so I can't wait to see a Pico Slim in person!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back