Ultimate Ears UE-x Pro Custom; Appreciation, Review & Discussion thread
Apr 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #106 of 318
Thanks for taking the picture Diago! Looks like the small custom case is only slightly larger than the universal version, and only 1 cent more on the UE site... I might go with that instead of searching out a used tf case or modifying the superfi case.

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #107 of 318
As far as refits go, I know of one person who is on try #6 for his JH13's so it can just go with the territory.  

I was mentally preparing myself for a refit if needed but also knew it would take a while to get used to a whole new type of iem...got lucky with the UE audiologist.

I am keeping the impressions I had made over the holidays as an example of a bad set of impressions.  And I paid $100 for them.  He just didn't seem good though maybe I should try to have him do them again and see what the next ones look like.  At least UE now has a good set on file for me.  If you can get a pair that fit I think you can use them to help your next pair be made too.

As for the silicone option- I asked at the meet whether it was available or soon and they replied that they were "working on it" trying to leverage some of Logitech's materials knowledge and may be able to find something that works in the future.  The ES5's have a softer silicone body so it can be done.

The TF10 case still seems smaller than the Small Custom case, but that Small Custom case looks pretty good.  Think I'll have to get one of those too.  I use a lot of little zipper pouches for cables and iems but they don't protect.  Seems like there is a good deal more room in the small custom case but it is more for using in a bag...

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #108 of 318
Actually the ES5 and Westones in general are vinyl not silicone so it's a different material.

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #110 of 318

Quote:
As for the silicone option- I asked at the meet whether it was available or soon and they replied that they were "working on it"

Nah, the most recent scuttlebutt is a No Go.  If a UE rep would care to update a change to this feel free.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #111 of 318
Okay, I'll be copying mkubota for his Pelican case idea, I already got one of the reusable dessicant packs:

There is a black rubber tray inside that also acts as the grommet for the water resistance.  

The orange dessicant case turns green when it loses it's absorptive capability.  Then you microwave it and hit it with a hairdryer according to mkubota.

I'm going to copy this set-up for an out-of-country trip this year.  (Those are my iems with mkubota's case and dessicant.)

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1015

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Indicating-Reusable-Plastic-Canister/dp/B002VNI6L4/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1300052000&sr=8-15

Quote:
Actually the ES5 and Westones in general are vinyl not silicone so it's a different material.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up!

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #112 of 318
The Westone thermic material becomes a little flexible when heated up to 36° Celsius. The soft silicone material is much softer and flexes more. 

My audiologist said, the soft silicone material option for the UE RM is possible, although some queries occur on some "heavy sweaters"... he will ask fischer amps for further info.

I've got two year  warranty, so I hope the silicone option does work. Mine will be done in about three weeks and I'm looking forward to the day of arrival....   

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #114 of 318

Quote:
The orange dessicant case turns green when it loses it's absorptive capability.  Then you microwave it and hit it with a hairdryer according to mkubota.
_________
The other thing you can do is put the dessicant pack in the oven/toaster oven at low heat for a bit of time and that would save you using the hair dryer. At least that's what we always recommended at work. Basically just to de-hydrate the product again right?

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #115 of 318

Quote:
The other thing you can do is put the dessicant pack in the oven/toaster oven at low heat for a bit of time and that would save you using the hair dryer. At least that's what we always recommended at work. Basically just to de-hydrate the product again right?

That is probably the best thing to do and it's what is recommended in the instructions.  Unfortunately my toaster oven doesn't have a temperature setting and I don't want to use my big oven for this. 
biggrin.gif
  One guy on Amazon complained about condensation after nuking it.  The instructions say to microwave on high for 20 seconds at a time, leaving time in between for the moisture to evaporate.  But that seems to take forever.  Depending on how hydrated the pellets are, you can just alternate between 20 seconds in the microwave and hitting it with a hairdryer (on cool/ high speed) for a few seconds- do this cycle about 5-10 times and you're good to go in ~5 minutes!

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #118 of 318
Did anyone who sent theirs back for re-fit get any type of confirmation email that they were received by UE?
I've heard nothing...
frown.gif

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #119 of 318
Did anyone who sent theirs back for re-fit get any type of confirmation email that they were received by UE?
I've heard nothing...
frown.gif

If it's anything like the email system when purchasing the customs I'd not be surprised if the messages lag or never come, I got my email letting me know they were ready to ship after I had received my customs. You might just call the customs division and ask. They are pretty friendly over there and I get the impression that they run run pretty independently from the rest of the UE/Logitech group. Likely they can easily either give you or get back to you with an update if you give them a call.

EDIT: Not a dig on the customer service at UE customs, my experience was very good.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #120 of 318
Yeah, I was planning to call eventually. From how I filled out the form and what I described... I would think they'd have called me with a "What"?
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back