Ultimate Ears UE-x Pro Custom; Appreciation, Review & Discussion thread
Mar 30, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #91 of 318
Yeah. I still have my Westone 4's to listen to while the UE's are out. When I'm at home, I just listen to my HD650 or RS1i's anyways.

Quote:
eek.gif

blink.gif

Yup.
At least I'm fortunate and have one or two other things to listen with while these are away.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #92 of 318

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the re-fits, but I guess that comes with the territory.  I'm finding that my right fits better than my left, but nothing it to a point where I'd want to have them re-done.  I'm in the cee tee camp, trying to wear them as much as possible to try and get acclimated.

The other thing I notice with these is that I tend to slowly crank the volume WAY UP!  As I'm hitting some tracks I like I seem to reach over and bump it up, then a little more, and the next thing I realize I'm getting up to some potentially damaging levels.  I don't do it to improve the SQ, it's more an almost involuntary action as I'm rocking out.

With such a great seal and my cranking the volume up so far I do worry about doing some hearing damage so I am trying to watch this.  I don't seem to do this with my other headphones, I ussually seem to find a sweet spot and stick with it.  Anyone else finding that they like to crank up the UE's more so than their other IEM's?

Ok, maybe I'm just strange...

Really? I'm just the reverse. I adjust my volume lower over time until I'm 1/12th of the knob turned on my P51. With all the isolation they provide there's no reason to turn it up to hear details. I sometimes turn it up when I listen critically, but I find my ears get fatigued if there's loud noises coming from sources close to my ear.

Maybe I just have good hearing habits.

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #93 of 318

Quote:

Really? I'm just the reverse. I adjust my volume lower over time until I'm 1/12th of the knob turned on my P51. With all the isolation they provide there's no reason to turn it up to hear details. I sometimes turn it up when I listen critically, but I find my ears get fatigued if there's loud noises coming from sources close to my ear.

Maybe I just have good hearing habits.

I'd say that better reflects my normal listening, up until now with the UE customs.  In fact, often I'd be worried that I was getting low enough on the volume pot that I'd throw some imbalance on the channels of certain amplifiers.

As I said, it's not about SQ, I'm definitely not doing to hear more detail.

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #94 of 318

Quote:
It's great to have some backups in cases like this so you have something good to listen to :) I have my W4 as well as some loaner earphones for cases like this. I'm waiting for 2 customs although not by UE.

I felt kind of bad for my wallet because the W4s came out at the same time that this deal from UE happened.  But in hindsight it was good because I am still getting over the newness of the W4s and not missing my UEs as much as I would if I were just waiting on them.  Maybe there is a lesson here:  Buy everything in twos. 
redface.gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #96 of 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkubota1 

Maybe there is a lesson here:  Buy everything in twos. 
redface.gif

Quote:

Only two?  You can never have enough back ups!

Addendum:

Buy everything in twos, and never sell anything you own. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #97 of 318

Quote:
I felt kind of bad for my wallet because the W4s came out at the same time that this deal from UE happened.  But in hindsight it was good because I am still getting over the newness of the W4s and not missing my UEs as much as I would if I were just waiting on them.  Maybe there is a lesson here:  Buy everything in twos. 
redface.gif

Yeah. I'm glad I still have the Westone 4's. I was planning on picking up a set of UERM's in the next couple weeks since it turns out I DO like customs, but the whole refit process is making me think otherwise. I wonder if it takes a while for JH Audio or other places to do refits as well. I'm probably just being impatient, but I was told 1 day turnaround time for the refit...=/

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #98 of 318

Quote:
Maybe there is a lesson here:  Buy everything in twos. 
redface.gif

hey, shoulda trademarked that lesson (see my sig). - more on topic for the thread: I'm a little worried about the volume when using IEMs, but unlike @tengen I tend to turn it up to the point where it's just a hair less than too much, yet unlike @shipsupt I also feel like there's not really enough bandwith because that point already comes at 2-3 out of 10 on my amps or on my HM-601. going lower doesn't do it for me, and going higher is worrisome. (I used to have a spot of tinnitus a while back, after a live concert not headphone abuse, but have no desire to experience it again anytime soon). a little bit of a quandary because the UE-x Pro Customs are so sensitive that too much really is too much, yet too little won't satisfy, and finding that spot really depends on the recording and whether I walk or sit.

somewhat related question: does anyone here do anything to mitigate the sound of your own steps, like wearing softer soles when out with IEMs, or the like?

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #99 of 318
shipsupt thought I should post this picture...I am able to comfortably fit the UE RM with longer cable in my TF10 metal case:

They look like black faceplates but they are actually transparent gray.

As far as the ongoing volume conversation:  Sometimes I think that with a lot of vacuum pressure (while lying down for example) I can crank the sound up and it doesn't "sound" loud...anyone else notice this phenomenon?

(I am considering leaving the volume at the higher volume I listen to right before sleep and listening at same level in the morning to see how loud I ended up at the end of the day.)

As for microphonics or bone conduction: I only hear heartbeats pretty faintly and when no music is playing- no real microphonics or bone conduction while walking but the deep insertion can move around a bit and I hope I get used to that while walking.  I have been getting used to the hard acrylic...  

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #100 of 318

Quote:
I have been getting used to the hard acrylic... 

For that reason I've ordered mine with the silicone option. My demo only had the shorter cord and the length wasn't an issue. Do you thing, I should ask for the longer cable nevertheless? 

The silicone part is now blue, I post a picture when the bird has landed. Just hoping, UE got the silicone right and made it as durable as the acrylic version. I'm not interested in letting the RM redone by UE. 

Some of you already have the RM. Can you tell me something about the impedance issue? How meticulous are the RM when having an non zero ohm output?  I've got the Cowon S9 still and am waiting for the FiiO E11 release. Will the S9 impedance distort the frequency range of the RM? 

Thanks

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #101 of 318

Quote:
For that reason I've ordered mine with the silicone option. My demo only had the shorter cord and the length wasn't an issue. Do you thing, I should ask for the longer cable nevertheless? 

The silicone part is now blue, I post a picture when the bird has landed. Just hoping, UE got the silicone right and made it as durable as the acrylic version. I'm not interested in letting the RM redone by UE. 

Some of you already have the RM. Can you tell me something about the impedance issue? How meticulous are the RM when having an non zero ohm output?  I've got the Cowon S9 still and am waiting for the FiiO E11 release. Will the S9 impedance distort the frequency range of the RM? 

Thanks

What do you mean you ordered the silicone option?  They said they couldn't make it work and have abandoned it.

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #102 of 318
What? My dealer didn't say any word to me when ordering the silicone option. Maybe he doesn't know the silicone option is abandoned so far and resulting therefrom hasn't said something.

Well we will see, or I just better ask him again about this issue. 

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #103 of 318
shipsupt thought I should post this picture...I am able to comfortably fit the UE RM with longer cable in my TF10 metal case:

They look like black faceplates but they are actually transparent gray.

As far as the ongoing volume conversation:  Sometimes I think that with a lot of vacuum pressure (while lying down for example) I can crank the sound up and it doesn't "sound" loud...anyone else notice this phenomenon?

(I am considering leaving the volume at the higher volume I listen to right before sleep and listening at same level in the morning to see how loud I ended up at the end of the day.)

As for microphonics or bone conduction: I only hear heartbeats pretty faintly and when no music is playing- no real microphonics or bone conduction while walking but the deep insertion can move around a bit and I hope I get used to that while walking.  I have been getting used to the hard acrylic...  

I looked at my superfi case and at the customs and figured there was no way! Cool. My only problem is that the superfi case has the sort of conical insert to coil the cable around which takes up a lot of internal volume.... From what I see there the triple fi case doesn't have that? If I want to use this case I'd have to modify the internals. Ill need to decide if I want to keep it for the superfi's or buy a replacement tf case.

Did anyone buy the small custom case? What does that look like inside?

Cee tee, I'd be interested to see what you find on your end of day volume setting. That very well might be what is going on with me as i notice that I'm listening to high volumes after I take a break from listening... I listen all morning, go to a meeting, and when I get back I realize that the previous setting was pretty high.

Apr 2, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #104 of 318
I was given one of the small cases with my order due to the inconvenience of changing my shipping info on me.  Here's a pic next to my TF10 case:

The small case is much nicer to carry around than the giant one that comes with the UE11 that I don't think I'll pull out of the box for a while. 

Quote:
Did anyone buy the small custom case? What does that look like inside?

Cee tee, I'd be interested to see what you find on your end of day volume setting. That very well might be what is going on with me as i notice that I'm listening to high volumes after I take a break from listening... I listen all morning, go to a meeting, and when I get back I realize that the previous setting was pretty high.

Apr 2, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #105 of 318

Quote:
Yeah. I'm glad I still have the Westone 4's. I was planning on picking up a set of UERM's in the next couple weeks since it turns out I DO like customs, but the whole refit process is making me think otherwise. I wonder if it takes a while for JH Audio or other places to do refits as well. I'm probably just being impatient, but I was told 1 day turnaround time for the refit...=/

Yeah that 1 day turnaround definitely would be understating it :p Refits are annoying and I had a refit where they took 5 weeks after being told 3-4 days or so. The thing didn't fit that great afterwards but I didn't send it back since it would take so long but I ended up doing my own refit with some nail polish and now they are at UE going through a bit of a modification. They definitely are frustrating but if you are going to spend that amount might as well get it perfect.

As for those using the UE TF10 case, that is the case I've been using with my customs although not UE but still a great case and much more convenient than the pelican case although not as strong as the pelican but I'm not planning on doing anything that will crush the case. I might pick up another pair since I have 2 pairs of customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back