Ultimate Ears UE-x Pro Custom; Appreciation, Review & Discussion thread
Mar 16, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #31 of 318

Quote:
UE Reference Monitors:

Oh… and to answer a question I had before getting these, "Do the actual customs sound that much better than the universal custom demo units?"-  No comparison.  

Yep, this has been on my mind since the meet, and will be until my UE's get here.  Glad to hear your positive impression!  I've been telling myself that the superior seal alone has to offer an improvement, not to mention getting the delivery tubes waaaay down there in the ear canal.

I always find it interesting that many folks who get customs don't always have that initial "Holy mackerel, these are the greatest sounding things ever to grace my ears"  There seems to be a sort of conservative approach to both comfort and sound, which slowly moves towards serious appreciation as they get more time with them.  This is what has likely kept me on the fence until now about jumping from my universals to customs.

EDIT: It appears that my post may have indicated that I am implying that the majority of the posters give the impression I offered above.  I think I could have selected better language.  First, this is only my opinion of the limited post I've read.  As indicated below by music_4321 obviously the majority have different impressions.  I should have selected something more along the lines of "I find it interesting that SOME who get customs..." or something along those limiting lines and clearly point out that I was just making a personal observation.  Sorry if I was somehow misleading anyone who might have considered my comment as trying to quantify the majorities opionion.  I should be cautious when interpreting others comments.

Great impressions all, this thread is making the wait even more painful!

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #32 of 318
exactly my thoughts last night, larry, as I listened to the UE11Pro on my HM-601: fun but over the top in the bass-ment. the UERM is a better fit with most of my music as listened through a hifiman DAP. as for people's comments on the UE customs' cables - I like my (black) UERM cable a lot, but I am a bit distraught about the green discoloration on my (clear) UE11Pro. I've had this happen to a previous IEM cable, and while I doubt it does anything to the sound or function, it just looks worn. so, I recommend the black cables :wink:

Quote:
I think with some older rock music like Pink Floyd, and Neal Young I am having more fun with the UE11Pro's bass than with the other IEM.  Infected Mushroom is also pretty glorious with these.  But I was listening to some Shota Osabe Piano Trio (Happy Coat) and the acoustic string bass still hits like it's been amplified electronically, and it's just a little too much (more than called for).

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #33 of 318

Quote:

I always find it interesting that many folks who get customs don't always have that initial "Holy mackerel, these are the greatest sounding things ever to grace my ears"  There seems to be a sort of conservative approach to both comfort and sound, which slowly moves towards serious appreciation as they get more time with them.

You obviously haven't been here long enough or read enough impressions/ posts. It's actually quite the opposite: there are far more people who state their newly acquired customs are waaaay better than anything they'd heard before and crush all universals they'd heard before.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #34 of 318

Well, obviously I stand corrected.  I'll adjust my opinion.

Edit: Adjusted in previous post!

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:

You obviously haven't been here long enough or read enough impressions/ posts. It's actually quite the opposite: there are far more people who state their newly acquired customs are waaaay better than anything they'd heard before and crush all universals they'd heard before.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #35 of 318
After all of 30 minutes with my new UE Reference Monitors, here's my initial impressions:

The sound is very well balanced and crystal clear.  It's slightly laid back and should be easy to listen to for hours without fatigue. The highs remind me of my LCD-2. It has good bass but it's not punchy.  Bassheads should look elsewhere.

They're very detailed. With a good recording the soundstage and imaging is very convincing.  

For those of you who've received IEMs -- try playing the 'Virtual Barbershop' binaural recording.  It's amazing.  The imaging is holographic and it had me laughing out loud.

It's too early to say about the fit.  I haven't worn IEMs for several years and my ears are adjusting to them.  I can feel a couple of irritation spots that may either disappear or become problems that require adjustment.

Unfortunately, I've been surprised by an issue that wasn't apparent at the meet.  There is a very slight residual hiss from the UERMs when they're plugged into my Isabellina HPA. This is the first time I've heard anything but a black background from the Isabellina.  It's not a deal breaker, but it is a bit disappointing. I also have very little latitude with the volume control.  It goes from off to too loud very quickly.  I plan to give Vinnie at Red Wine a call and see if there's anything that can be done to address these issues.

Overall, despite some minor annoyances, I'm pleased.  I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of these.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #36 of 318

Quote:
After all of 30 minutes with my new UE Reference Monitors, here's my initial impressions:

The sound is very well balanced and crystal clear.  It's slightly laid back and should be easy to listen to for hours without fatigue. The highs remind me of my LCD-2. It has good bass but it's not punchy.  Bassheads should look elsewhere.

They're very detailed. With a good recording the soundstage and imaging is very convincing.  

For those of you who've received IEMs -- try playing the 'Virtual Barbershop' binaural recording.  It's amazing.  The imaging is holographic and it had me laughing out loud.

It's too early to say about the fit.  I haven't worn IEMs for several years and my ears are adjusting to them.  I can feel a couple of irritation spots that may either disappear or become problems that require adjustment.

Unfortunately, I've been surprised by an issue that wasn't apparent at the meet.  There is a very slight residual hiss from the UERMs when they're plugged into my Isabellina HPA. This is the first time I've heard anything but a black background from the Isabellina.  It's not a deal breaker, but it is a bit disappointing. I also have very little latitude with the volume control.  It goes from off to too loud very quickly.  I plan to give Vinnie at Red Wine a call and see if there's anything that can be done to address these issues.

Overall, despite some minor annoyances, I'm pleased.  I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of these.

That's interesting.  The highs on the IERM demo I heard were on par w/ my DBA-02.  If the LCD2 highs are like the DBA I will consider getting them again.  Did you get to hear the demo IERM?  How do they compare?  

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #37 of 318

Quote:
That's interesting.  The highs on the IERM demo I heard were on par w/ my DBA-02.  If the LCD2 highs are like the DBA I will consider getting them again.  Did you get to hear the demo IERM?  How do they compare?  

The UERM highs at this point are similar to my LCD2 (with Norse cable).  The LCD2 presentation actually has a bit more 'air' than the UERM. 

At the risk of side tracking the thread into a discussion of burn-in, I think it's important to note that my impressions of the UERM's sound are based upon a set that has less than an hour on them.  There seems to be some disagreement as to whether BA headphones need burn-in.  I don't know.  I've seen comments indicating that some manufactures recommend it, and other comments that say its unnecessary.  Regardless of who's right, I would be surprised if the cable that comes with the UE wouldn't benefit from at least some burn-in time.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #39 of 318

Quote:
Does anyone know what physically causes the clear/silver cables to turn green? Is it moisture? heat?

Oxidation.  One way to tell silver or tin colored Copper from pure Silver cable.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #41 of 318

Quote:
It is often said on these forum threads that (high-end) customs destroy all (high-end) universal IEMs or that the difference is night and day, one blows the other out of the water, and so on - I happen to disagree with this view. Do your new UE Reference Monitors, in your view, destroy your W4s or other top-tier universals SQ-wise? Very nice photos, BTW!

Hahaha... yes, I get tired of those cliches as well.  I'm a pretty easy guy to please.  To me there is a difference between 'better' and 'different'.  And even the best (whatever) has its weaknesses.  Price independent, I do not think the RMs "blow away" the W4s.  They are better overall, but I listen to a w-i-d-e range of music and there are things that sound better on the TF10s than on the RMs.  Again price independent, if I could only have one IEM, the RMs would be it (out of what I own or have heard).  Are they worth double the W4s?  I'm going to have to say for most people probably not.  I say this knowing that for some people that last 2% of sonic nirvana is worth almost any amount, and I respect that completely.  Now if you only listen to a few specific genres, not having heard everything out there, I would venture to say that there probably is a universal IEM for around $300-400 that should satisfy your needs and spending more won't get you much better SQ.  This is of course provided that they fit you and you are happy with their build quality, comfort, design, etc.  I think it all depends on your needs.  Is it possible to make something that sounds exactly like a UE RM (or JH13, 1964-Q...) in a universal?  I think with currently technology it would be extremely hard given all of the variables and compromises one would have to address in building something universal.

Quote:
Tower of Power - Squib Cakes. Brilliant! Yeah, I'm an Oakland boy... that's right.
wink_face.gif

It's hard to sit still while listening to that- huh?
L3000.gif
Just one of the many Sheffield albums that underscore the fact that "it's not the medium, stupid- it's the recording."

Quote:
The sound is very well balanced and crystal clear.  It's slightly laid back and should be easy to listen to for hours without fatigue.

I get that impression too.  In some recordings where there is almost a standing wave similar to that from a horn speaker in the midrange- that kind of beaming is greatly reduced.  They seem to be able to deliver detail without being harsh.  I wonder if that's a result of not having to play at higher levels in order to hear detail.

Quote:

Thanks for this... fun stuff!  Slightly OT, but one of my first experiences with the AKG K1000s was with a similar recording. 

Quote:
I can feel a couple of irritation spots that may either disappear or become problems that require adjustment.

I had that in the first few hours.  I think it's because I kept thinking about them in my ears and I would move my jaw or tilt my head constantly.  I think once I got used to them, the irritations went away.  I wonder though- do ear canals change during the course of the day or depending on certain physiological variables?  You know how they say you should shop for shoes during certain times of the day, etc.

Quote:
There is a very slight residual hiss from the UERMs when they're plugged into my Isabellina HPA. This is the first time I've heard anything but a black background from the Isabellina.  It's not a deal breaker, but it is a bit disappointing. I also have very little latitude with the volume control.

These things do seem pretty sensitive.  At work I normally plug right into my MBP, and I got more than normal hiss as well as poor volume control resolution. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #42 of 318
I have really been waiting for something like this thread...there just weren't that many impressions around here (it seemed) for the UERM.  (Tried to influence everyone into getting Joker a pair so I could read about his reaction, so this is very cool.)

Mine are probably a week away or so.  I'll be watching to see if any of you need a Pico Slim for the digital volume control and low noise.  Though the Arrow has interesting Bass Control and Crossover, it does not have digital volume control...will have to research if it is still very quiet.

I plan to try it with my iBasso D12 first, I like how clean I have the amp with dummy buffers but the volume pot makes noise when I move it and I don't know how quiet the background will be with customs.

The comparisons you are making to your other phones and the comments are all exciting! 

@ Mkubota, I see you also liked the standard RM logos...I thought I would be the only one who would want them
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #43 of 318

Quote:

The LCD-2 does not have highs like the DBA. Obviously I can't speak for the IERM, but the highs of the UE-4 are similar to the LCD. They are not bright - brilliant like the DBA.

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #44 of 318
Really enjoying the UE11 so far.  The fit and seal has been excellent, and the only time I experienced any discomfort was when I tried to eat a sandwich with them on.  Otherwise, my ears haven't experienced any irritation.  Part of the reason I wanted to get customs was because I could never get a good fit with my TF10's for extended periods of time without discomfort.  The thinner lune cable helped with keeping the TF10 still while I was wearing them, but none of the silicone tips or the comply tips felt right for me.  Customs have definitely been a huge improvement for my fit problems, while getting better performance as well.  Good enough that I'll probably sell my TF10's.
blink.gif

I plan to mostly use the UE11's with my iphone, but I did order the parts to build a mini^3 portable amp so I hope that they end up matching up well.  Plugging the UE11's into my desktop amp's low impedance headphone jack (Elekit TU-882 has three headphone out jacks, low and high impedance mini jacks, and a 1/4" jack with adjustable impedance levels via a triple setting switch), I only have to barely touch the volume control to get them to be overly loud so they are very sensitive headphones.  They do reveal I don't have channel imbalance issues with this amp though.

Not very good with providing impressions, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the tight, controlled, and deep bass that the UE11's are providing.  These things are very detailed in its presentation of instruments, excellent for the rock and jazz I typically listen to.  Currently enjoying Esperanza Spalding's Chamber Music Society album, which show off how well the UE11 can perform with her playing bass while performing vocals on several tracks. 

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #45 of 318
So curious question for you folks w/ full Acrylic tips.  Can you eat w/o irritation or does it cause discomfort sometimes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back