Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Mar 9, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #167 of 811
Wow sold the HD800S? Were the HD800S properly driven versus the UERR? I would think HD800s should still be on a different level because of massive price gap and their notorious potential with better gear. Well thats what I got from research anyway. Havent heard either so just my 2 cents.

My HD800S was driven by Gungnir Multibit and Mjolnir 2. That could be an endgame reference setup. UERR via Mojo gets close enough for me however, so I sold my other gear.

Also, HD800S sounds unnaturally wide/deep to me and thus ends up being less engaging than the more intimate presentation of UERR.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #168 of 811
My HD800S was driven by Gungnir Multibit and Mjolnir 2. That could be an endgame reference setup. UERR via Mojo gets close enough for me however, so I sold my other gear.

Also, HD800S sounds unnaturally wide/deep to me and thus ends up being less engaging than the more intimate presentation of UERR.

I think the HD800S can still scale much further than that according to other people. Heard it has very good synergy with the dna stratus 2a3 amplifier with right tubes and a good dac like the yggy. But I guess the ciems must perform quite admirably to replace your HD800S.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #170 of 811
I think the HD800S can still scale much further than that according to other people. Heard it has very good synergy with the dna stratus 2a3 amplifier with right tubes and a good dac like the yggy. But I guess the ciems must perform quite admirably to replace your HD800S.

Yes. I have had a change of perspective on gear too. It feels great to step off the 'upgrade train'. With headphones I think you can just keep going. With IEMs you can reach endgame fairly easily (if you want a reference sound, UERR is it) for much less cost, size, heat, anguish etc.

That said, Mojo drives my HD650 remarkably well.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #171 of 811
I wonder whether can i trade-in my UERM and top up some cash to the UERR?

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #173 of 811
I am currently in the market for a pair of iems.
I am kind of excited by these I guess you would say.  I am however a little concerned.  My concern is purely based on the original version, as there are little to no reviews on this new version available.

I like neutral from mids through highs.  I don't like over accentuated highs, I do not like forward mids.  I like things all in line when it comes to the mid/upper range.  In fact I am sensitive to midrange sibilance.

I do however like a little bit of meat in the bottom end.  This is where my concern lies, based purely on reviews of the original.  I have not heard the original, either.

So long as the sound has some body to it (isnt thin or dry) and has some meat in the bottom end I think these would be perfect for me.

I listen to primarily Acoustic Rock, Acoustic Guitar, Metal, Rock, Prog metal, Prog rock etc.  But also listen to the usual audiophile favourites too and enjoy Krall and like.

Do you feel these would be a good match for me?

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #174 of 811

Yes. I have had a change of perspective on gear too. It feels great to step off the 'upgrade train'. With headphones I think you can just keep going. With IEMs you can reach endgame fairly easily (if you want a reference sound, UERR is it) for much less cost, size, heat, anguish etc.

That said, Mojo drives my HD650 remarkably well.

if you have got the time please, how is the highs on this, peaky/harsh/sibilant? and i guess with it being reference the bass,mids and highs are all level with eachother, nothing boosted or recessed??

its hard to work out what a neutral flat sound is like, my MA750 is supposed to be neutral but its bass can get quite boomy! 
confused.gif

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #176 of 811
I'm gunna be in LA in May, sweet!

Does anyone know -

Can I audition a universal UERR at the UE office?
Can you put an order in on the spot?
Do UE take impressions at the studio?
With the 3 day rush option, can you pick them up on day 3/4?

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #177 of 811
  I am currently in the market for a pair of iems.
I am kind of excited by these I guess you would say.  I am however a little concerned.  My concern is purely based on the original version, as there are little to no reviews on this new version available.

I like neutral from mids through highs.  I don't like over accentuated highs, I do not like forward mids.  I like things all in line when it comes to the mid/upper range.  In fact I am sensitive to midrange sibilance.

I do however like a little bit of meat in the bottom end.  This is where my concern lies, based purely on reviews of the original.  I have not heard the original, either.

So long as the sound has some body to it (isnt thin or dry) and has some meat in the bottom end I think these would be perfect for me.

I listen to primarily Acoustic Rock, Acoustic Guitar, Metal, Rock, Prog metal, Prog rock etc.  But also listen to the usual audiophile favourites too and enjoy Krall and like.

Do you feel these would be a good match for me?

I'm not sure about the UERR sorry, but from what you're describing I would recommend the AAW w500, for roughly the same price.

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #178 of 811

i really wanna bite the bullet but! customs... if i dont like them im screwed 

Search for an Ultimate Ears distributor in the U.K. and ask them about the terms and conditions for loaning a universal demo unit of the UERR. When you're using silicone tips and have ear canals that are well-suited for universal in-ears, the sound difference will be close to nothing to the CIEM version, so you get a good idea of what the final version sounds like after having auditioned the demo version. At least in my case, my custom UERM sounds pretty much exactly like the universal demo version with silicone tips.

It's a pity that UE doesn't sell the universal demo versions (especially as the newer ones from the past few years are incredibly comfortable and not even close to their older demo IEMs) - if they did, I'd have given them much more of my money, as I prefer the handling and feeling of universals over CIEMs (which is mainly because universal in-ears generally fit me perfectly because of my large ears).

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #179 of 811
  It's a pity that UE doesn't sell the universal demo versions (especially as the newer ones from the past few years are incredibly comfortable and not even close to their older demo IEMs) - if they did, I'd have given them much more of my money, as I prefer the handling and feeling of universals over CIEMs (which is mainly because universal in-ears generally fit me perfectly because of my large ears).

x2

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #180 of 811
While the demo UERM did indeed sound very similar to my custom, the custom treble is smoother and less peaky for me. The demos, while well made and pretty ergonomic, were bulky and prevented me from getting quite to custom depth of fit, which I chalk up to the treble differences. But if they actually built a uni shell designed for mass consumption, that would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back