Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Mar 26, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #196 of 811
Omg... i worry the UERR could not take it.

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #198 of 811
UERR is to UERM what HD800S is to HD800. Treble is more 'polite' (which perhaps means it is less accurate), bass seems extended. Endgame reference headphone (which you can actually listen to all day).

Thx!

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #200 of 811
Agreed on the last part! This is very hard to find because most reference gears can be fatiguing after a while.

HD800S avoids fatigue too but I preferred the more intimate staging of UERR so I sold the Senn. With HD800S I kept feeling like I needed to 'move my chair forward'. UERR is more engaging in that sense...

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #201 of 811
Is there any truth to the hype re: high resolution? I would probably pay for more resolution, but the tonal balance of the originals is fine for me. 

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #202 of 811
  Is there any truth to the hype re: high resolution? I would probably pay for more resolution, but the tonal balance of the originals is fine for me. 

It is so hard to quantify but to me UERR seems maybe 10-15% better than UERM in terms of technical abilities (resolution, staging etc). Tonal balance is very similar across most of the FR with improvements at both extremities. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #203 of 811
So, the UE18 PRO is their flagship?

Could someone enlighten me as to why it's more expensive than the UERR? Is it a better monitor? I know, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better... But I'd like to know where the UE18 Pro stands against the UERR before making a purchase.

The marketing is really pushing the UERR as their new resolution monster, but with their 'flagship' model sitting above it (the website states the UE18 is "For those that demand the best"), makes me wonder what is going on. My guess that the sound is inferior to the UERR, but it has more drivers, so it's pushed at a greater price. Or, alternatively, it is less of a reference monitor, but "better" overall. Has anyone done a comparison?

EDIT**

I did some looking around and can see that the UE18 Pro is for quite a different usage. Stage, really. It also looks like it's bass quantity is quite high, which is the reason I sold my last CIEM, so UERR sounds like the way to go for me.

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #204 of 811

Could someone enlighten me as to why it's more expensive than the UERR? Is it a better monitor? I know, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better... But I'd like to know where the UE18 Pro stands against the UERR before making a purchase.

The marketing is really pushing the UERR as their new resolution monster, but with their 'flagship' model sitting above it (the website states the UE18 is "For those that demand the best"), makes me wonder what is going on. My guess that the sound is inferior to the UERR, but it has more drivers, so it's pushed at a greater price. Or, alternatively, it is less of a reference monitor, but "better" overall. Has anyone done a comparison?

EDIT**

I did some looking around and can see that the UE18 Pro is for quite a different usage. Stage, really. It also looks like it's bass quantity is quite high, which is the reason I sold my last CIEM, so UERR sounds like the way to go for me.

The 18 has more bass.  It's not "reference," but when I tried it at UE's office it sounded very good.  I love the UERM, and with my other iem (universal Angie) see no reason (for me) to upgrade it.  BTW, I really love the upper end of the UERM, so if, as above, it has been "tamed," I doubt I'd like it.   

Apr 2, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #205 of 811
The UERM and UERR are quite different. The RR is bassier with longer decay, whereas the RM's bass is tighter, faster more incisive. The RR's vocals are more forward. So much so, it is quite midcentric sounding compared to the slightly laid back mid of the RM. The RR's treble is more linear and extended but shelved down by quite a bit. Gone is the RM's airiness and sparkle. Also gone is the RM's wide and airy staging. The RR is pretty upfront and in your face. Much more personal staging.

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #206 of 811

EDIT**

The 18 has more bass.  It's not "reference," but when I tried it at UE's office it sounded very good.  I love the UERM, and with my other iem (universal Angie) see no reason (for me) to upgrade it.  BTW, I really love the upper end of the UERM, so if, as above, it has been "tamed," I doubt I'd like it.   

The UE18 Pro has got a really nice, large soundstage with great imaging. What I didn't like at all though were the mids where the tonal balance was too skewed in my ears. I'm personally not even thinking about the UE18 anymore.

The UERM and UERR are quite different. The RR is bassier with longer decay, whereas the RM's bass is tighter, faster more incisive. The RR's vocals are more forward. So much so, it is quite midcentric sounding compared to the slightly laid back mid of the RM. The RR's treble is more linear and extended but shelved down by quite a bit. Gone is the RM's airiness and sparkle. Also gone is the RM's wide and airy staging. The RR is pretty upfront and in your face. Much more personal staging.

All of the reports of the UERR being a bit warmer, bassier than the UERM, with longer decay, make me glad I didn't buy the UERR at the end of 2015 (I was very close to clicking the "order" button), although a more linear treble response and very slightly more forward mids compared to the predecessor would have been things I'd like to see as upgrade over my UERM.
I'm still really liking my UERM, but the (esp. upper) treble naturalness could be better.

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #207 of 811
As a person "of a certain age," I really appreciate the UERM's upper (treble) end.  
smile.gif

When I was at UE and was trying out various iem models (I went in to purchase the UERM but what was the harm in listening?) I found that the 18 was a bit too active for my tastes.  I like a bit flatter sound (hence the UERM and the Angie).  It sounded good, but wasn't anything I wanted to buy.  

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #210 of 811
Has anyone been able to compare an SE5 Ult to the UERM or UERR?

I'm a little concerned about the UERR after reading above. Bassier? Hi's are shelved quite a bit? All things I sold my last ciem because of.

Can I ask, without comparing to the UERM, is the UERR a bassy ciem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back