Ultimate Ears UE Pro Reference Remastered! (UERR)
Apr 3, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #212 of 811
Without having heard the new one, I can safely say that both UE Reference models are... reference, so are relatively flat across the spectrum.  My UERM has plenty of bass, but it's not bass-y like the Shure SE846 that I had (and sold) was.  One of the "hits" on the UERM was too much treble in the upper regions (shrill), but I have not found that to be the case.  

The UE18 is certainly bass-y, when compared to the UERM.  

Here is what shotgunshane rep[prted:
"The UERM and UERR are quite different. The RR is bassier with longer decay, whereas the RM's bass is tighter, faster more incisive. The RR's vocals are more forward. So much so, it is quite midcentric sounding compared to the slightly laid back mid of the RM. The RR's treble is more linear and extended but shelved down by quite a bit. Gone is the RM's airiness and sparkle. Also gone is the RM's wide and airy staging. The RR is pretty upfront and in your face. Much more personal staging.
Edited by shotgunshane - Yesterday at 10:22 am"

I think he is using his terms in relation only to the UERM, so bassier when compared to the original.  I doubt he means bass-y like the 846 or the Dunu1000.

I also use a JH Angie, which is fairly similar in sound to a UERM, and can be purchased in either custom or universal (mine is the latter).  Might be worth a look.

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #213 of 811
Thanks for that guys. Yeah, I'll be dropping in to UE when I'm in LA so I might take a listen before I put an order in. It's the only way of truly knowing!

It's funny, people are comparing these with the HD800 & 800s, but with traits like 'mid centric' with more bass and less of a soundstage, it's starting to sound more like the LCD cans....

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #215 of 811
Is it cheaper if buying directly from UE HQ?

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #217 of 811
Has anyone been able to compare an SE5 Ult to the UERM or UERR?

I'm a little concerned about the UERR after reading above. Bassier? Hi's are shelved quite a bit? All things I sold my last ciem because of.

Can I ask, without comparing to the UERM, is the UERR a bassy ciem?

When comparing the UERR against the UERM, the differences (such as more bass, and more controlled highs) are actually really small when compared to other customs. For example, nobody in their right minds will say that the UERR is a bassy customs for bassheads; against most other customs, the tuning is still quite flat and neutral.

I'm getting the UERR to serve as my "reference" customs. Even though I will have to admit that the UERM is more "reference" than the UERR, I enjoy the UERR more and I won't hesitate to choose the UERR between the two.

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #218 of 811

When comparing the UERR against the UERM, the differences (such as more bass, and more controlled highs) are actually really small when compared to other customs. For example, nobody in their right minds will say that the UERR is a bassy customs for bassheads; against most other customs, the tuning is still quite flat and neutral.

I'm getting the UERR to serve as my "reference" customs. Even though I will have to admit that the UERM is more "reference" than the UERR, I enjoy the UERR more and I won't hesitate to choose the UERR between the two.

This. I would refer to UERR as a more 'polite' reference monitor which tells a few white lies to accomodate treble harshness in source material 
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #219 of 811
I had a long term audition with a uerm demo and found I liked it a lot, but it's the only earphone to give me treble sensitivity (I just plain avoid ones that are known to do this), and there was a bit of added harshness and roughness to the otherwise good treble. This is intentional to a degree as the uerm was engineered to mimic the classic old ns-10 (this is the famous monitor where people would put toilet paper over the tweeter as an early "mod" to reduce treble harshness)
The uerm was overall excellent, but not for me.

The uerr demo I heard eliminates this treble harshness, adds a little needed bass extension and while I think fans of the uerm may not be satisfied, many people who come to the uerr fresh will find it an excellent reference.

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #220 of 811
Hey guys, I just received mine and I'm thinking there is a problem. Are they suppose to fit flat against the ear? Also, they sound extremely thin and hurt my ears, is this normal? These are my first Customs so I have no reference point. Thanks.

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #221 of 811
If they sound thin you don't have them fully inserted,  Twist them in (gently) and then make sure they are in by pressing against the flat part until they "click in" to your ear.  If they are angled out, they aren't in.  There should be a diagram/instruction on the UE site.

You may also need a re-fit, not uncommon.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #223 of 811
Thanks olddude, I tired your method and it still sounds thin. Is re fit really necessary? I had my ears scan by Ue and I thought their process was error proof.

I had mine refitted twice, once with a new audiology visit.  Certainly not "error proof."

If it sounds "thin," either the mostly-flat freq range sounds thin to you or you don't have a good seal/fit.  Cause it shouldn't sound thin.  Push the flat outsides of the earpieces in with your fingers and see if that changes the sound.  Also, try lifting up the top of your ear and rocking the earpieces to seat them.  

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #224 of 811
Hey guys, I just received mine and I'm thinking there is a problem. Are they suppose to fit flat against the ear? Also, they sound extremely thin and hurt my ears, is this normal? These are my first Customs so I have no reference point. Thanks.

I'm glad olddude got to you with good advice before somebody came along was like "just let your ears adjust to the pain, festering pressure sores improve the bass!"

After you play with the fit (keeping the time in your ears short if there is any discomfort), then look into a refit soon--you almost certainly need one.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #225 of 811
Thanks for everyone's help! I actually contacted UE and it seems they send me the wrong impression. I guess it sucks having a common name haha. UE customer service is amazing there already starting on my new set. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back