Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #4,336 of 4,383
Does anyone find them "hollow" sounding? Like, music literally sounds as if it is enclosed in plastic (obviously they are plastic, but I can't describe what I mean any other way lol)

Replying to this old post in case it helps others:
I had this issue of hollow sound while using the blue 4-conductor cable in a non-phone device. Seems that in that setup, the 4 plug contacts cause the signal to get sent to the earphones out of phase, which cancels the bass and makes music sound far away. I thought my 900s were defective, but I switched to the three conductor black cable, and voila! Great sound. I bet you already fixed this, but if not- Hope that helps. Also sound is very tip dependent. Play around with the many different tips and more than one source.

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #4,337 of 4,383
I was considering re-buying these from Massdrop but saw all the photo's of the black paint peeling and dodgy gluing inside the case. These were my first expensive earphone purchase many years ago, and loved the sound, just didn't love the fact they were falling apart so I returned them. Now they're still having these issues with the 900s? Is it just the Massdrop ones that have issues with quality or all of them?

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #4,338 of 4,383
I was considering re-buying these from Massdrop but saw all the photo's of the black paint peeling and dodgy gluing inside the case. These were my first expensive earphone purchase many years ago, and loved the sound, just didn't love the fact they were falling apart so I returned them. Now they're still having these issues with the 900s? Is it just the Massdrop ones that have issues with quality or all of them?

The 900s are unibody construction which seems to have remedied the problems of the original 900. I haven't had any problems with mine, apart from needing to use the black 3-pin cable with non-phone sources. I purchased from Massdrop last fall. I do treat them gently; they live in a zippered pouch when not in use. That said, Logitech/UE have discontinued these; seems as though Logitech has gotten out of the earphone business. UE still makes custom fit (expensive) ones. At under $200 IMO, these are a great deal. Massdrop support is also quite responsive. Just one man's opinion.

Mar 15, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #4,339 of 4,383
The 900s are unibody construction which seems to have remedied the problems of the original 900. I haven't had any problems with mine, apart from needing to use the black 3-pin cable with non-phone sources. I purchased from Massdrop last fall. I do treat them gently; they live in a zippered pouch when not in use. That said, Logitech/UE have discontinued these; seems as though Logitech has gotten out of the earphone business. UE still makes custom fit (expensive) ones. At under $200 IMO, these are a great deal. Massdrop support is also quite responsive. Just one man's opinion.

Yeah I thought the 900s was supposed to be improved version but the people on massdrop are showing pics with the paint still peeling. There were some showing dodgy gluing on the inside too which my original 900 didn't even suffer from. Guessing their quality control isn't the best and some bad ones get through.

Mar 30, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #4,340 of 4,383
Considering picking these up when they next drop. Anyone has moved on to other IEMs? I'm cross shopping these with the Brainwavz B400. I've enjoyed using/demoing the Mee Pinnacle P1, Brainwavz B100 and Sennheiser HD600. I tried the Massdrop Plus briefly but found the treble too smooth and not extended enough for me.

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #4,341 of 4,383
Considering picking these up when they next drop. Anyone has moved on to other IEMs? I'm cross shopping these with the Brainwavz B400. I've enjoyed using/demoing the Mee Pinnacle P1, Brainwavz B100 and Sennheiser HD600. I tried the Massdrop Plus briefly but found the treble too smooth and not extended enough for me.

Bump, has anyone have comments on the UE900? Considering getting them.

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #4,342 of 4,383
I still love mine, am on my second pair (both pairs, the second being the 's' were excellent with none of the problems recanted on this forum - I lost my first pair at an airport). If I did not need 'em, I would totally join the drop (or find them on Ebay).

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #4,343 of 4,383
Bump, has anyone have comments on the UE900? Considering getting them.
My benchmark iems. Incredible resolution. Hifi Chris told me that in order to get a noticeably better sound, you have to spend 1000 - 2000 Eur.

I got them at the last drop. A no brainer at $174.

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #4,344 of 4,383
My benchmark iems. Incredible resolution. Hifi Chris told me that in order to get a noticeably better sound, you have to spend 1000 - 2000 Eur.

I got them at the last drop. A no brainer at $174.
Thanks for the reply! If you don't my me asking more based on your signature, how do they compare to the B100 and HD 600? B100 was also recommended to me by @HiFiChris and I liked it. I tried the new Massdrop Plus but I didn't like the overly smooth treble, and instead I found I liked a demo of the HD600 - the frequency response was quite up my alley even though I usually go for slightly more v-shaped IEMs.

If the UE900s is roughly in the ballpark of the B100 and HD600 I'm going for it! Also, let me know how the treble is like - I listen to violins in classical music and cymbals in Jazz which has made me run into issues with some other IEM demos.

Hope you can help, thank you!

Btw side note, anyone uses balanced cables on the UE900S? Any significant improvements with your source?

Cheers

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #4,345 of 4,383
Thanks for the reply! If you don't my me asking more based on your signature, how do they compare to the B100 and HD 600? B100 was also recommended to me by @HiFiChris and I liked it. I tried the new Massdrop Plus but I didn't like the overly smooth treble, and instead I found I liked a demo of the HD600 - the frequency response was quite up my alley even though I usually go for slightly more v-shaped IEMs.

If the UE900s is roughly in the ballpark of the B100 and HD600 I'm going for it! Also, let me know how the treble is like - I listen to violins in classical music and cymbals in Jazz which has made me run into issues with some other IEM demos.

Hope you can help, thank you!

Btw side note, anyone uses balanced cables on the UE900S? Any significant improvements with your source?

Cheers
I also have and like both the HD600 and the B100. After listening to the UE900S, the B100 sounded one-dimensional. The UE900S are far superior in terms of layering and instrument placement. They are also better than my ibasso IT01. Chris told me that the B200 have the same sound signature as the B100 but the B200 resolve better....but don't quite play in the same league as the UE900S.

The UE900S excel in classical music and jazz, but they don't when it comes to simple rock music (let's say AC/DC). I tested them at some nonets by Spohr, some oboe concertos (Albrecht Mayer) and Walton/Bruch violins concertos. The instrument placement is excellent. String instruments and voices are reproduced very naturally...more naturally than the HD600 do. The bass is true audiophile: very contained. There is no piercing or harshness.

The comparison to the HD600 is difficult as headphones have much bigger drivers.

In summary, the UE900S are far superior over the B100 and probably in the same league as the HD600 (cheap but good premium).

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #4,346 of 4,383
I also have and like both the HD600 and the B100. After listening to the UE900S, the B100 sounded one-dimensional. The UE900S are far superior in terms of layering and instrument placement. They are also better than my ibasso IT01. Chris told me that the B200 have the same sound signature as the B100 but the B200 resolve better....but don't quite play in the same league as the UE900S.

The UE900S excel in classical music and jazz, but they don't when it comes to simple rock music (let's say AC/DC). I tested them at some nonets by Spohr, some oboe concertos (Albrecht Mayer) and Walton/Bruch violins concertos. The instrument placement is excellent. String instruments and voices are reproduced very naturally...more naturally than the HD600 do. The bass is true audiophile: very contained. There is no piercing or harshness.

The comparison to the HD600 is difficult as headphones have much bigger drivers.

In summary, the UE900S are far superior over the B100 and probably in the same league as the HD600 (cheap but good premium).

Thanks for the detailed comparison. Can I say that based on your classical listening violins treble sounds natural enough? I slight issue I had with my Mee PInnacle PX/P1 is that it is well extended but violins sound dry/thin for some reason. I was curious about the HD600 as I liked the level of detail and balance across the frequency range, is there anything lacking when you switch between both?

And lastly (sorry for the many questions), has the build quality of the UE900s been holding up for you so far?

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #4,347 of 4,383
Thanks for the detailed comparison. Can I say that based on your classical listening violins treble sounds natural enough? I slight issue I had with my Mee PInnacle PX/P1 is that it is well extended but violins sound dry/thin for some reason. I was curious about the HD600 as I liked the level of detail and balance across the frequency range, is there anything lacking when you switch between both?

And lastly (sorry for the many questions), has the build quality of the UE900s been holding up for you so far?
As said, classical instruments such as violins sound very pleasant and detailed...and yes, very natural. The build is actually pretty cheap and plasticky - a tradeoff for a great sound at a low price. The cables were somewhat annoying so that I am using this $7 one now (photo):
https://goo.gl/JMMevh

IMG_6250.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #4,348 of 4,383
As said, classical instruments such as violins sound very pleasant and detailed...and yes, very natural. The build is actually pretty cheap and plasticky - a tradeoff for a great sound at a low price. The cables were somewhat annoying so that I am using this $7 one now (photo):
https://goo.gl/JMMevh

Great picture! Looks like you take great care of them so hope they last you a long time :) The $7 cable looks very similar to the KZ silver coated cable I used to own haha.

Any particular weaknesses and strengths you find compared to your HD600? Good to know classical instruments sound good on your UE900S!

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #4,349 of 4,383
I had two pairs, sound quality is very good but build quality is meh.
I always baby my gear but the 900 is not really a pair I enjoyed using as a daily driver.
They just didn’t feel robust.

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #4,350 of 4,383
Is anyone able to point me to how to use Deoxit on the connectors, in case I need to?

A long time back some head-fiers were talking about cleaning off factory residue and stuff, so I'm wondering if there's a proper way to do this, for example:
1) Use toothbrush on connectors
2) Use q-tips to dab deoxit
3) Wipe excess deoxit off with new q-tip?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back