Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 14, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #4,366 of 4,383
I just received UE900S. I find the sound too much clean/neutral/bright.
However, OMG the cable is the best cable I've ever touched. Even sweeter than Estron Linum Bax, better than Westone Epic Cable.
And all of those tips What they are twice times, holy crap ! I'm 100% sure that these silicone tips are made but spinfit (same material, same twice color, same twist possibility at the bore).

May 16, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #4,367 of 4,383
I own the UE900s and still enjoy them, the First regular UE900 sounded Harsh and would not play at loud volumes it would lose bottom end control. Replaced three times by UE themselves and finally I got a perfect pair. Even the inside silicon looked equally applied and even. The first two had several quality control issues fir sure.

May 18, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #4,368 of 4,383
The thing is that the original UE900 had serious build issues, the unit welding was bad, the connectors had a rust issue, they were not well tuned,

Then the UE900s came out and corrected everything, Ultrasonic welding on the body, better quality connectors, better tuning, and also the box came with a little pack that had a extra set of tips and a contact cleaner in case you had problems with the connector.

18 months later, still going strong.

May 29, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #4,370 of 4,383
I'm lucky. My original ue900 are still going strong since 2013. God pair?
Mine is too:) especially with the zx2 and a trrs silver cable...

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #4,372 of 4,383
I know these aren't knew anymore and the only people interested are those who already own them but just putting it out there that my ue900 have been going strong as a daily driver since circa 2015 (maybe earlier). The cables did give way after a couple of years where they started to short out on one side but with replacement cables they keep going on. The paint is receding around the edges of the faceplate but I have only noticed this in 2020.

on a personal note I found that while the tips they came with fit, i found the isolation and fit improved with tips that narrowed and went beyond the sound bore. Also felt more secure that ear wax wasn't going to get trapped and clog the sound tube or bass vent. I think these tips were from the Vsonic GR07. The UE900 are also the best fit iem for longer usage. The westone W series fits snug like a glove and very comfy but it does nestle in the ear so you can feel them (I have sensitive ears). The UE900 with its funnel shape is secured with the tip where the body doesnt touch or rest in the outer ear.

I bought a secondhand pair UE900S later which had more substantial paint chipping on the faceplate so I took it off for a brushed metal look following a post n this thread from years ago.

I have always enjoyed the sound and found them to be quite neutral. I havent had an exhaustive experience with iems but as a comparison I found the shure se215 bass too thick and overall too dark, these became the gym phones. i enjoyed the Phonak PFE112 for its physical comfort and clean sound but I did enjoy the extra bass and softened highs with the upgrade to the UE900. I found the Vsonic GR07 was similar in presentation and note thickness with less sub-bass and a bit too forwars/sibilant in the upper regions for me .

I felt the UE900's clear tonality helped the midrange shine where you can really hear vocalists breath and emotion. A lot of people have commented that they are veiled mids but I did not find this to be so. only once when A-Bing with my Westone W60 did I notice this and it may have just been that particular song. I liken the overall sound to listening behind the soundproof glass in a recording studio.

last couple comparisions:
UE900s - i found a slight difference in signature here. potentially just a variation through production which wouldnt suprise me given the QC issues. I definitely find an increase in the lower highs/upper mids on the UE900S. The rest of the spectrum seems identical. I think i prefer the original without the peak which at higher volumes is ever so slightly fatiguing.

Westone W30 and W60 - on first impression with the W30 i found the extra Bass impact was fun but a bit reserved about the thicker sound which i think is the frequency response between the lower mids/upper bass. this is subjective and depending on how you want to hear your music. A bit of brain burn in and I could appreciate this sound and how it brings out some weight in vocals and instruments particularly with less busy tracks. the big killer which made it difficult to retire the UE900 was the W30's small soundstage/holographic(ness) which was very much in your head. Again, sometimes this creates a more intimate experience but I largely prefer the much larger soundstage of the UE900. some songs (i'm looking at you 80's music) have an echo effect which can be exacerbated by a larger soundstage. I found the W60 similar tonally to the W30 with a slightly tighter bass, some clarity throughout and maybe a boost in the mids/upper mids while still being fatigue free. The W60 has that holographicness/soundstage over the W30 which I found was missing and without having critical ears just sound better with presenting a similar signature. Now my 2 main drivers are UE900s and W60. The UE900s i find works better at lower volumes (when working from home) with its neutral tuning and the W60 better at higher volumes with its less fatiguing signature and stronger bass to groove to (great on public transport). The bass on the W60 makes it feel slightly more dynamic and when driven at moderate volume, open up and still provides all the detail within the music. For reference, 3/5's volume through a Samsung galaxy S8 is rocking it out loudly for me.

Unfortunately, I think there is no perfect frequency response and some tracks sound better with different IEM's. I also don't think certain frequency responses work better for different genres because sometimes i prefer a more neutral and clear sound whilst on another given day I prefer a more organic, and impactful sound with the same song. Similarly, some will recommend bassy IEMs for hip-hop or rock and bright IEMs for Jazz. The music was recorded as intended and if there was a universal tuning for different genres it would be done at the producing stage.

Anyway, my ramblings are over. And rock on for those who didn't get stung with a bad pair.
DSC07223.JPG
DSC07226.JPG
DSC07224.JPG

Jun 23, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #4,373 of 4,383
I know these aren't knew anymore and the only people interested are those who already own them but just putting it out there that my ue900 have been going strong as a daily driver since circa 2015 (maybe earlier). The cables did give way after a couple of years where they started to short out on one side but with replacement cables they keep going on. The paint is receding around the edges of the faceplate but I have only noticed this in 2020.

on a personal note I found that while the tips they came with fit, i found the isolation and fit improved with tips that narrowed and went beyond the sound bore. Also felt more secure that ear wax wasn't going to get trapped and clog the sound tube or bass vent. I think these tips were from the Vsonic GR07. The UE900 are also the best fit iem for longer usage. The westone W series fits snug like a glove and very comfy but it does nestle in the ear so you can feel them (I have sensitive ears). The UE900 with its funnel shape is secured with the tip where the body doesnt touch or rest in the outer ear.

I bought a secondhand pair UE900S later which had more substantial paint chipping on the faceplate so I took it off for a brushed metal look following a post n this thread from years ago.

I have always enjoyed the sound and found them to be quite neutral. I havent had an exhaustive experience with iems but as a comparison I found the shure se215 bass too thick and overall too dark, these became the gym phones. i enjoyed the Phonak PFE112 for its physical comfort and clean sound but I did enjoy the extra bass and softened highs with the upgrade to the UE900. I found the Vsonic GR07 was similar in presentation and note thickness with less sub-bass and a bit too forwars/sibilant in the upper regions for me .

I felt the UE900's clear tonality helped the midrange shine where you can really hear vocalists breath and emotion. A lot of people have commented that they are veiled mids but I did not find this to be so. only once when A-Bing with my Westone W60 did I notice this and it may have just been that particular song. I liken the overall sound to listening behind the soundproof glass in a recording studio.

last couple comparisions:
UE900s - i found a slight difference in signature here. potentially just a variation through production which wouldnt suprise me given the QC issues. I definitely find an increase in the lower highs/upper mids on the UE900S. The rest of the spectrum seems identical. I think i prefer the original without the peak which at higher volumes is ever so slightly fatiguing.

Westone W30 and W60 - on first impression with the W30 i found the extra Bass impact was fun but a bit reserved about the thicker sound which i think is the frequency response between the lower mids/upper bass. this is subjective and depending on how you want to hear your music. A bit of brain burn in and I could appreciate this sound and how it brings out some weight in vocals and instruments particularly with less busy tracks. the big killer which made it difficult to retire the UE900 was the W30's small soundstage/holographic(ness) which was very much in your head. Again, sometimes this creates a more intimate experience but I largely prefer the much larger soundstage of the UE900. some songs (i'm looking at you 80's music) have an echo effect which can be exacerbated by a larger soundstage. I found the W60 similar tonally to the W30 with a slightly tighter bass, some clarity throughout and maybe a boost in the mids/upper mids while still being fatigue free. The W60 has that holographicness/soundstage over the W30 which I found was missing and without having critical ears just sound better with presenting a similar signature. Now my 2 main drivers are UE900s and W60. The UE900s i find works better at lower volumes (when working from home) with its neutral tuning and the W60 better at higher volumes with its less fatiguing signature and stronger bass to groove to (great on public transport). The bass on the W60 makes it feel slightly more dynamic and when driven at moderate volume, open up and still provides all the detail within the music. For reference, 3/5's volume through a Samsung galaxy S8 is rocking it out loudly for me.

Unfortunately, I think there is no perfect frequency response and some tracks sound better with different IEM's. I also don't think certain frequency responses work better for different genres because sometimes i prefer a more neutral and clear sound whilst on another given day I prefer a more organic, and impactful sound with the same song. Similarly, some will recommend bassy IEMs for hip-hop or rock and bright IEMs for Jazz. The music was recorded as intended and if there was a universal tuning for different genres it would be done at the producing stage.

Anyway, my ramblings are over. And rock on for those who didn't get stung with a bad pair.DSC07223.JPGDSC07226.JPGDSC07224.JPG
Thanks for sharing. I'm happy I got a good pair and made the choice to get them. My daily drivers were these and a set of he-400.

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #4,376 of 4,383
Think I've found ideal replacement cable for UE900s. Perfect fit, has same as OEM curved MMCX connectors and better ear hooks.
Just received it today, quality is top notch, solid stuff.

Fiio makes good cables. I wonder if they have a Lightning terminated cable with remote+mic :p

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #4,378 of 4,383
Hi, I'm about to buy an old stock brand new UE900(not S) for CAD60, do you think it's worth the price? If it's broken, does UE still help with that? Anything else I should know about?

That price is ridiculously low for the UE900. Definitely worth it, in my opinion (while they are rather "unique" in the way their midrange is tuned and therefore not 100% accurate in this area, the UE900 generally resolve well and sound good).

Unless UE have changed their warranty policies over the years, they would usually either send you a new set of UE900 (which, of course are out of production for a long time) or allow you to order any other products of equal value (not MSRP, but what one actually paid for the item) from their entire web shop.

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #4,379 of 4,383
For that price no iem needs discussion before buying.

I wouldn't even worry about potential repairs as it would not be worth the hassle for the price you are paying.

Agree with lower mid tuning however this is really only noticeable when comparing side to side and own their own are really enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back