Ultimate Ears Personal Reference Monitors: The *Custom* Custom In-Ear Monitor
Aug 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #152 of 213
Quote:

... How is the UEPRM business? Great?

I couldn't say. It's a bit limited in that you need to be physically present with one of their impedance dial boxes--a lot of people just don't live near UE headquarters or happen to be at a meet or convention at the exact time that they are looking to spend twice as much as they would otherwise on a custom iem...

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #153 of 213
Ya, so far no people gives impression yet.

What is the impression can be provided? This is solely based on your own taste and a very "personal" earphone. For sure, it would be the most "Like" CIEM.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #154 of 213
Quote:

What is the impression can be provided? This is solely based on your own taste and a very "personal" earphone. For sure, it would be the most "Like" CIEM.

I would be asking the same questions.  Users choose an EQ, so impressions essentially become nil as they decide their own "target curve" through blind listening really.  It's not a bad idea, but impressions of them will be less than useful.  A change in the curve is a change in the properties, so even ideas on detailing and clarity can be drastically changed.  

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #155 of 213
UE's target audience is people in the music industry, and with the PRM, successful people.  Those people tend to be concentrated in a few places for their line of work, and UE has boxes for those areas.  The concept is actually quite good if you ask me, making something that can adjust to deal with musicians that may have been around loud music for their whole life and may have hearing loss, so the PRM can help compensate in an easy to do way.

Quote:

I have yet to be really impressed with a demo unit, save some of the Rooth products, but I will just say the PRM didn't disappoint.  The IERM has some great characteristics, and the PRM seemed to retain those and improve some of the areas where I think the IERM has room for improvement.

One of the issues IMO for people that buy their first custom IEM is that they don't understand the sound signature they will get and the trade-offs in the sound.  Because you have to listen to the PRM before you buy (I guess you could probably order 50 50 50), you will have a much better understanding of what you will be getting.  If you want more bass, tune it that way, more treble, do the same, up-front mids, go for it, etc.  Of course, the tuning isn't going to make is as bright or as bass heavy as some of the headphones out there, but you will know before hand, especially if you bring your favorite for comparison.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #156 of 213
Quote:

I would be asking the same questions.  Users choose an EQ,

Wrong. I'm surprised you are repeating this, tinyman, you strike me as someone who would be more precise.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #157 of 213
Quote:
Wrong. I'm surprised you are repeating this, tinyman, you strike me as someone who would be more precise.

EQ was the wrong word, sorry about that (I thought I had changed it to FR curve 
angry_face.gif
).  They do (end up) tune(ing) a curve though, which can change some properties of an IEM.  

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #158 of 213
How would they do the test? Would it be based on the subjective listening experience of the user, or just measurement of the user's hearing ability? I would prefer the latter, because what one hears at a certain listening test does not mean the sound would become his favourite sound for music. There should be a reference point which the UEPRM is trying to achieve, so that every user hears the same sound eventually no matter what their hearing ability is like and how different they are.

By the way, is it possible to do listening tests at an audiologists and send the results to UE and have them make the UEPRM according to the information? Hope they will have testing facilities in Hong Kong soon.

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #159 of 213
What they are offering is far more nuanced than a balance knob.

Best to do your own hearing test and go do the tuning yourself to nail the signature while looking at your own chart.  I'd put more faith in that process than a purely remote one relying on one company to match up the test results of someone else's gear and process.  

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #160 of 213
The idea sounds really appealing to me since I'm listening with UE RMs for a year now. Thing is, I'm from Germany and I wonder whether there will be an opportunity for someone like me to get his hands on one of these fancy boxes. 

Hopefully 2000USD won't be 2000€ in Germany. However, it really do concern me since the UE RM >1000USD is sold for 1120€ here in Germany. 

I'd love to try these and look how far the sound quality can be pushed. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #161 of 213
I'm looking into buying these for myself as a birthday present but I have a few questions first. 
tongue.gif

How does the UEPRM compare to the UERM?
Is it worth the upgrade over the UERM?
What is the driver configuration? 2 lows, 2 mids, 2 highs?

Thanks guys!

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #162 of 213
Quote:
I'm looking into buying these for myself as a birthday present but I have a few questions first. 
tongue.gif

How does the UEPRM compare to the UERM?
Is it worth the upgrade over the UERM?
What is the driver configuration? 2 lows, 2 mids, 2 highs?

Thanks guys!

-It's smoother and better
-No, it's not a thousand dollars better. That's double the UERM price.
-1-2-2, it's a 5-driver design.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #163 of 213
Is it possible to order the UEPRM anyway without doing the test thingy?

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #165 of 213
Weird... UE has removed this UEPRM from their website... 
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back